Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By Golden Goose To Fat Duck

Introduction

This was a holiday I took in June to London.

We made a side trip to Florence to meet up with friends who were holidaying in Italy.

This TR may take awhile so bear with me.

It starts with a bowl of Vietnamese noodles in the TPR.

Little did I know that it would turn out to be one of the best holidays.. ever
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 November 2011, 09:45 PM.

HOORAY! Another 9V-SIA TR coming.

Comment

I didn't realize it at the time but the rainfall that day was breaking all sorts of records.

Orchard Road was flooding. For the first time, so was Tanglin Mall.

Visibility was poor from TPR. I couldn't see the runway.

But when it was time to board, the rain had eased. 9V-SWM would take me to LHR today. Our first date..

Pushback was delayed perhaps 15 minutes. The pilot warned us of a long queue to take off.

We joined the line from Terminal 3. Today we were using Runway 20C

As we pass Terminal 1, this AK A320 slips in behind us in the queue

Queue from Terminal 2. That MI A320 just sits there waiting for us to take off. Big brother bullying small brother

Our turn.. we started off at the back of that line. Bye bye little brother!

Wheels up 1 hour 20 minutes late.

Not that you'd notice. IFE was on till we were about to take off

Watched 2 episodes of Big Bang Theory before we were even airborne!
      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 23 November 2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

After our late departure, breakfast was served promptly.

My pics didn't turn out very well this flight. So this is an edited version. Besides, lots more pics to come

The Breakfast Menu

I had the fruits ( papaya ) , yoghurt followed by the Singapore fried carrot cake

By the time we fly past by PEN, breakfast service was over

On this trip, I found out what this button is for!

It's a night light!

I've written numerous TRs about the 77W F seat. For the record, it's now my favourite seat in SQ's fleet.

It may look like the new business class seat but, longer and wider, I get my best sleep on this baby.

And I credit the new mattress they provide as part of mid life enhancements SQ undertook. Much thicker than the old one.

Having woken up at 6am to get ready for the flight, it was time for me to catch up on my sleep.

I fall asleep over India..

... and wake up over Afghanistan in time for lunch

Lunch Menu

I had Chef's Choice ( Sam Leong ) except for the dessert, which I opted for Tiramisu

The pics are horrible so I won't post them unless someone requests it.

LX3 is easier to use....
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 November 2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

It was overcast over Europe

First news of the deluge in SIN that delayed our departure

As we approached LHR, I was hoping to be able to take pics of London since I was seated in 2F on the right hand side

Alas approach was from the west

I only managed to snap Legoland..

.. and Terminal 5 as it flashes past us

I had to add this pic in. Look what was right behind me last October!

Parked next to this unusual green JL 77W

It's good to be back

Comment

Another TR!

I see sneak shots of your favourite seat

Comment

niiice

Comment

Hooray! Another 9V-SIA TR

Could the mystery of the magical new F button finally been solved?

Comment

I can see they are still serving that rolled beef dish as one of the mains since the last time I took this flight in June last year!

Looking forward to the rest of the TR
                  Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Thanks for the TR, 9V-SIA!

I was in Firenze only two days ago - that and Tuscany I will always want to go back to I think but the Fat Duck, no...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      HOORAY! Another 9V-SIA TR coming.
                      Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                      Another TR!
                      Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      niiice
                      Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                      Hooray! Another 9V-SIA TR
                      Thanks. I thought I'd better write this. One of my HD just died with a lot of priceless memories. Didn't back up.

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                      I can see they are still serving that rolled beef dish as one of the mains since the last time I took this flight in June last year!
                      Took the rolled beef dish this trip. Had it on the way to LAX too!

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Thanks for the TR, 9V-SIA!

I was in Firenze only two days ago - that and Tuscany I will always want to go back....
                      Best holiday I've had in a long time. So many pics I took. Makes it harder to write a TR

So to continue the TR...

I'm a morning person so I like visiting London. I sleep early and wake up early so jet lag is not a problem

In the Summer, it gets bright by 5am so I enjoy long walks through the empty streets of London. Magical..

After my walk, I take breakfast around St Johns Wood High Street before going home to wake up the rest of the family

When I'm good, I take the superb continental breakfast at Gail's..

.. and when I'm bad, the Great British Breakfast at Richoux next door

The rush hour traffic along St Johns Wood High Street... only in London

London offers a much more diverse shopping experience compared to Woodbury Common or Camarillo Premium Outlets in the US.

For example, short walk from Selfridges past Grosvenor Square ( US Embassy overlooking the square is to left of picture )....

...is Mount Street.

Some interesting shops can be found as you walk eastwards ( away from Park Lane towards New Bond Street )

Need to be kitted out for a hunting trip? Note the Royal Crest above the entrance to the shop. Quite a few shops along this road bear the Royal Crest

Successful hunt? Sell your pheasant or rabbit to this butcher! I was amazed to find a butcher here. I guess they cater to the ( rich ) locals

Smythsons on New Bond Street. They've been selling stationary since 1887.

There is a museum in the store of their famous customers. Recognize anyone?

Just some of the shops that fascinated me....
                      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 November 2011, 06:15 PM.

Comment

When travelling, we plan to either shop then look for a nice place to eat nearby. Or just head to a place we want to eat at.

This restaurant happened to be in our area of operations. It came highly recommended by friends and it did not disappoint.

Wild Honey is on St Georges Street next to New Bond Street.

What do you think of the menu? I thought the set lunch was reasonable at £19.95.

I had the fresh dorset crab as a starter...

.. followed by the wagyu short rib

Ended with the English custard tart

I should add that my wife and daughter had different dishes and were equally happy with them.

Must try the Wild Honey ice cream crushed honeycomb
                        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 November 2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers on Mount Street, 9V-SIA. I will certainly take a look there before I load up on my nespresso capsules at Selfridges.

Comment

Amazing TR... speechless. Well done 9V- SIA !!

Comment

Westbourne Grove & Lunch at Ledbury

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                              Thanks for the pointers on Mount Street, 9V-SIA. I will certainly take a look there before I load up on my nespresso capsules at Selfridges.
                              Originally posted by Handiman View Post
                              Amazing TR... speechless. Well done 9V- SIA !!
                              Glad you are finding this TR interesting / helpful...

I would forget about walking down Oxford Street or Regent Street. Major chains have driven away the interesting shops.

Good shopping in London, and by that I mean owner run stores, is found in the smaller streets.

Like Westbourne Grove

I didn't bother to take pics of wife shopping in the boutiques, but we did plan our pit stop for lunch here..

Rabbit with buttermilk

Amuse Bouche. Goat cheese salad with various tomatoes

Cerviche of Hand Dived Scallops with Seaweed and Herb Oil, Kohirabi and Frozen Horseradish

Flame Grilled Mackeral with Avocado, Celtic Mustard and Shiso

Frog Leg Beignets with a purée of Jersey Royals, Buttered Mousserons and Broad Beans

Roast Monkfish with Fennel, Mousserons and Elderflower

Pork Jowl Roasted with Spices

Short Rib of Ruby Red Beef with Onions Baked in Ash, Pickled Walnuts and a Crisp Potato

It was very good meal. You can see how long lunch took by time stamp...
                              Last edited by 9V-SIA; 25 November 2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X