Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Fall 2011 Trip report IV: LH F to FRA

A Real “Bed” in the sky – Odyssey on Lufthansa’s new First Class

In order to get home, I decide to issue a Star Alliance award ticket, and after many interesting conversations with US Airways agents, I am able to book a roundtrip between Osaka, Japan and Chicago via Frankfurt in first class. I am sure there are many reports on United First so I am going to skip that part. Ironically I am writing this report sitting at 1A on N773US, which features the hybrid Continental livery and the new first and business class. Anyway back to Lufthansa, I believe Lufthansa decides to refresh its first class cabin on the Boeing 747-400s to match the new first class cabin launched on A380s (and I presume that these 747s will be kept a bit longer so something needs to be done). Someone brilliant at LH decides to go back to old school first class – how about a real bed next to the seat. It reminds me of Japan Airlines and Philippine Airlines old commercial showing bed in first class in the upper deck of the Boeing 747. So Lufthansa really gives it a magic and modernist touch, and the upholstery has changed to a brownish color, which is a bit more stylish than the blue color. Many fellow travelers have talked about it and there were tons of pictures, so I hope this trip report will help you “see” the product better, and since I still have a return flight in January next year, and more than happy to answer any question or try to address them in the future. If there is a particular aspect of the seat that you want to photograph, please let me know! Please make it reasonable. I am not going to ripe out the mattress to show what is behind it. LOL!

BTW this is my 200th Boeing 747-400 flight!

November 2, 2011
    LH 741 KIX-FRA Lv1100 Arr1500 Boeing 747-400 D-ABVK “Hannover”
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqT0Y

Osaka Kansai Airport was quite busy this morning, as there was an upcoming public holiday in Japan and some people are taking advantage of a vacation. The morning period also features a major European departure bank (all European airlines depart in the mid-morning hours), and the first bank of flights heading to Korea, China, Hong Kong, and other regional destinations. Checking the load periodically suggests that I was the only one booked in first class and was definitely looking forward to a private cabin. Of course… anyway, check-in line was long at economy and the flight was definitely packed in the business and economy cabin this afternoon. First class nonetheless remained empty and I was immediately assisted. Check in took less than a few minutes, and I was on my way with a lounge invitation and a boarding pass in the traditional Lufthansa first class folder.

Check in display system – really cool and let you know exactly which airline and which cabin class use which counters and it is just nice to look it

Busy Lufthansa check-in area

First Class line

First Class carpet

First Class check-in counter

The departure hall was busy but things ran smoothly and I was able to go through security and immigration line within a reasonable amount of time. Just as I left the immigration counter, I spotted D-ABVK landing at R/W6R right on time. I took my time, as I knew the Asuka lounge was nothing special. After a quick shuttle ride to the North Wing, I first stopped at the gate and took some photos of the plane. Boeing 747 still amazes me even after flying Boeing 787. Getting ready for the return flight.

Gate 11 was our gate this morning (and I think LH usually uses this gate)

Then I head to the Asuka Lounge, which is shared by most Star Alliance partners and Delta. It is definitely an unimpressive lounge and if you want to spend more time at the airport mall, please do so. I used the lounge because I needed wifi for my iphone and laptop. If not, I would rather sit out there and watch planes. However one good thing about the lounge is that it is located right at gate 11, and no need to head out early.

Photos of lounge

Finally at 10:30am, the lounge receptionist announced boarding for Lufthansa flight 741 and I headed towards the gate in a leisure pace, as there was a separate first and business class line. The agent spotted my F folder and welcomed me on board. I was the first one to arrive at the cabin, and two flight attendants were working the upper deck this afternoon, and they were both friendly. They greeted me in Japanese and showed me to my seat. It was an impressive cabin. Sleek and stylish! What a different from the old first, which is still good, but it is just nice to have a real bed to sleep in.

Many pictures… here it comes!

Comment

However my dream of being the only one ended as a non-revenue passenger also joined me in the first class cabin, but the service was still very attentive.

Anyway, I took a picture of each seat
      81C

81H

82C – no picture because that is where the other passenger is seating
      82H

83C

83H

84C

84H

The seat itself

The bed – already freshly made with a pillow and an additional wool blanket

Comment

The F/As definitely were specially trained and were very friendly and personable. They smiled, unlike the typical German stereotypes, and it made every first class passenger feel special. Not sure if it is from the heart, but at least they seemed genuine. Beverage order was immediately taken and then a bowl of macadamia nuts came with it.

Amenity kit, sweater (blue Van Laak), trousers (brown pants), slippers, and duty free shop catalogs next

Amenity kit – Porsche Design (I still hope I will get the Riwona one in the future…)

Pajama – sweater and trousers

Slippers

Boarding was completed at 10:55pm and we pushed back two minutes prior to scheduled departure time. We slowly made our way to the queue at R/W6R. It was a busy morning, but nothing like Narita or JFK or ORD. After CX 773 B-HNJ took off for Taipei, a Garuda’s A330 PK-GPC taking off, and a China Southern A319 landed, we lifted off at 11:18am for an eleven hours and forty minutes flight to Frankfurt.

Kobe Airport

Itiogawa

We passed out Kobe airport, city of Osaka, Motosu, Gujo, and leaving Japan as we crossed the coastal city of Itiogawa and reached 29,000feet. Then we crossed the Sea of Japan towards Siberia, and climbed up to 35,000feet before reaching Troitskoye, near the city of Komsomolsk-na-Amure, and then the Aidan Plateau and Siberia. We descended back to 31,500 feet and then crossing the city of Norilsk, and then towards northern Russian coast, and then Gyda and Yamal Peninsula, Vaygach Islands, and then back up to 35,000feet before crossing Mezen in the Kanin Peninsula. After crossing the White Sea, we steadily climbed up to 36,000feet and then 38,000feet before reaching Finland, and passing the cities of Joensuu, Kouvola, and Helsinki. Then we headed towards the Sarremaa Island, and reaching the Polish coast by Lebsko Lake, and then passing the German cities of Szeczcin and Berlin, and then started our descent around Leipzig and towards Naumburg and Erfurt.

Seat belt sign was turned off at 11:18am and remained off the whole flight, despite the official LH policy is seat belt fastened whenever seated, which is always a good advice. Yes the bed has a seat belt too. Wine list was first passed out and here is the wine list for November and December 2011!

Champagne
        2000 Champagne Laurent-Perrier Millesime, Frankreich
        Or
        Champagne Louis de Sacy Grand Cru Brut

Monthly Proposal
        2006 Meritage, Artesa Winery, USA

Apertifs
        Cmpari
        Sherry “La Guita”

White Wines
        2010 Merler Stephansberg Riesling Spatlese trocken, Weingut Kalfelz, Deutchland
        2009 California Chardonnay, Round Hill, the Rutherford Wine Company, USA
        2010 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc “Icon,” Nobilo Wines, Neuseeland

Red Wines
        2004 Chateau Belgrave, Cru Classe, Haut-Medoc, Frankreich
        2006 Callabriga Douro, Sogrape Vinhos, Villa Nova da Gaia, Portugal

Dessert Wine
        2008 Huxelrebe und Ortega Beerenauslese, Weingut Bischel, Deutschland

Monthly Proposal
        2002 Alter Birnenbrand, Guglhof, Osterreich

Spirits
        Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey Old No 7
        Johnnie Walker Blue Label
        Bushmills Malt 10 years old
        Smirnoff Red Vodka
        Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin
        Cognac Lheraud Cuvee 30
        Calvados Pays d’Auge AC, Daron
        Fernet Branca
        Etter Weihnachtspflumli
        1998 Etter Zuger Kirsch

Sake and Plum Wine
        Tsukinoi Jyunmai Ginjyo Kurazake
        Tatsuriki Tokubetu Jyunmaishu “Mukashi”
        Tsukinoi Nihonshu Shikomi Umezake

Liqueur and Port
        Bailey’s Irish Cream
        2007 Late Bottled Vintage Port, Niepoort
        11-12/2011

The purser than came by and did her greeting, and we exchanged some friendly conversation. She wished me a pleasant flight and it was very standard LH procedure.

Hot towel in lacquer tray

Champagne came next and Champagne Laurent-Perrier Millesime was featured today. Amuse bouche was a carrot and cauliflower panna cotta, which was pretty special.

Then entrée order was taken, and as you may or may not know, Lufthansa was very generous in terms of food, and you can literally eat everything in the menu, if you can handle it. As the F/A said, it is a day flight and you should be hungry in first class. My request for the roast duck appetizer, and then the Japanese meal was answered with “of course, no problem”!

Comment

Here is the full menu for the first meal:
          Featuring meals designed by two Lufthansa Star Chefs from Swissotel Nankai Osaka, Gerhard Gerber and Masahiko Ikebe

Lunch Service
          Western Cuisine

Choices of Hors d’oeuvre
          Caviar with traditional garnishes
          Combination of Sesame crushed Yellow Fin Tuna, grilled Watermelon and Capsicum Parfait
          Honey glazed Duck Breast, vegetable salsa, micro greens and sesame dressing

Salad
          Seasonal Salad with Cherry tomato and Paprika presented with Dressing

Choice of Main Courses
          Pan-seared Tenderloin of Beef with Vanilla reduction and Tomato oil
          Sautéed Green Asparagus and Sweet Corn Potato Cake
          Or
          Cod Saltimbocca with Balsamic Reduction and Avocado Oil, sautéed Spinach and buttered Gnocchi

Selection of Cheese and Dessert
          Camembert, Gorgonzola, Gruyere, Cheddar, Goat Cheese garnishes with Grapes

Chocolate spicy cake

Fresh Fruit

Japanese Cuisine
          Zensai Sanshu

Caviar with the traditional Garnishes
          Scallops and Shiitake Mushroom with Bonito flavored cream

Kudzu Cake with Cod Milt, Salmon Roe and Dashi

Hassun
          Snow Crab Sushi, seared Blowfish Sushi, Fish Roe rolled with Kelp, blanched Blowfish Skin served with Ponzu sauce, Gisei-Tofu and Kumquats simmered in Syrup

Suimono ***
          Japanese Clear Soup

Comment

Omozakana

Slow cooked Beef Cheek and white Radish, Broccoli and steamed Tawara Rice

Or
            Simmered Sea Bream and Turnip served with Gin an Sauce, Kintoki Carrot and steamed Tawara Rice

Gohan
            Steamed Rice wrapped in Bamboo Sheet

Misoshiru
            Miso Soup

Konomono
            Simmered Japanese Taro and deep fried bean curd and Gin an Sauce

Wagashi
            Fresh Fruit

Japanese Sweet with Otemoto Stick

We are pleased to serve you a selection of canapés, Onigiri, biscuits, and fresh fruit during the flight.

It was truly a feast and the food was very good considered that it was served at 35,000feet. The pace was right and you definitely did not feel rushed, and the F/A always allowed some times between the courses, and wines were refilled. “Of course” was always the respond if you asked for anything.

Green tea

Pralines – caramel with salt, mango, and nougat

Digestive – Blue Label

Wine station in front of exit door in the upper deck

Rose – Lufthansa’s signature first class branding

Comment

Seat in fully reclined mode – not much recline, but a good cradle chair. I think LH can add more recline to it though.

Seat control – footrest, lumbar, and recline

Power Outlet and USB drive

Storage space – one under the bed

One behind the seat

Personal light

Night light in the bed

Remote control

Bottled water holder

Side storage bin

Comment

Storage bin for personal objects

Toilet in the forward upper deck

Entertainment system – the new television screen is large and has a clearer picture, but it is not touch screen. The content seem to be quite good, and I believe A380 has a larger library of movies and televisions though. I did not take part of it at all but BOSE headsets were offered (but only good for use on an airplane – the plug).

Two and half hours after takeoff, bottled waters were passed out, along with duty free service. Window shades came down and I went to sleep for a good half of the flight. My time clock was all messed up by now, but I did not want to sleep the whole flight, as I wanted to be able to go to sleep later in the night. The bed was very comfortable and just felt like a regular single bed. I did not need the second blanket, as the cabin temperature was kept rather warm.

However a word about my seat 81C, which was bulkhead seat, and it was next to the bathroom and there was quite a bit of foot traffic throughout the night. The crew was fairly quiet and the bed had another private shield. However for those sensitive passengers, you should go with Row 83 and 84.

Comment

And when I finally got up, the F/A immediately came by and asked if I needed any snacks and beverages, and felt free to ring the F/A button. It was just the right amount of service without too much interference. I finally got some cakes and it was a nice snack to munch on.

Nice set up

Plate of small pastries
                  Raisin cheesecake, fruit tart, fig cake, and marble cheesecake

Berries tea

Then I worked on my trip reports and dinner service started around 1:03pm local Frankfurt time. Hot towel made its reappearance and presented in a nice lacquered tray. Then the dinner menu was passed out. My request to delay my meal service for ten minutes was met with “of course and just let me know when you are ready”! My other seatmate slept through it so I was offered everything in the menu.

Here is the dinner menu – once again a choice of Western and Japanese!

Western Dinner
                  Cold and hot Specialties

Smoked Salmon and Papaya Tartare with Micro Greens and Honey Mustard Dressing

Mustard Crusted Roast Beef with Mediterranean salad

Combination of Duck and Chicken Breast wrapped in Bacon with pink Peppercorn glaze, sautéed spinach, poached Apple and Potato Galette

Chicken and Bacon Ravioli with Olive Oil, semi-dried tomato and toasted pine nuts, Parmesan cheese

Dessert
                  Carrot cake with Almond

Japanese Dinner
                  Hassun
                  Osaka pressed sushi featuring Mackerel, Prawn and Egg, Sea Bream, minced Chicken cake covered with Poppy Seeds, small River Fish rolled with kelp, Petit Arrowhead Bulb pickled with Sweet Vinegar and Ginger

Men
                  Soba Noodles and Soba Sauce

Omozakana
                  Simmered Black Rockfish with simmered An Sauce, grilled tofu and steamed Tawara Rice

Konomono and Misoshiru
                  Plum, Cucumber and Radish, Miso Soup

Mizugashi
                  Fresh Fruit
                  LH 741 11/11-12/11

So how does it work? For the Western dinner, the first two courses are cold appetizer dishes, and then followed by two hot dishes, and then a dessert. You can literally eat every dish on the menu, and I ended up having both the appetizers, and the first main course. My request for soba noodles was met with of course. It was a nice dinner and I was pretty hungry towards the end of the flight.

Salmon tartar

Roast Beef

Soba noodles

Comment

Duck and Chicken breast wrapped in bacon – very nice

Carrot cake with almond – very delicious

Fresh fruit – of course – Cantaloupe, kiwi and apple

After dinner, I changed back to my normal clothing, and descent soon began at 2:21pm local time, and then ATC control did not put us on hold much, and soon we were able to turn back the airport, and landed on R/W7R at 2:58pm. After waiting for a few planes to takeoff at R/W7C, we slowly taxied towards Gate B23, next to an A380 D-AIME at B28, which had just arrived from Beijing as LH 721. It also meant a busy line in the immigration counter, but not bad, as most passengers had already gone through immigration. There were just tour groups, so things were just a bit confusing. However the strangest thing was that it was almost my turn, and this officer just stopped me at the yellow line, and made a phone call for a minute. It was a bit surreal, and I hope it was an urgent call asking for help, not a personal call. Anyway, no question was asked and I went through easily. It was a very strange path heading to the baggage claim hall passing through a public area, which meant two custom checkpoints. Once I got to the baggage claim, bags were slowly coming out and mine was among the first bags to come out. Priority tags work very well in Japan and Germany. To give United credit, my priority bag came out first in Chicago too.

Photo of D-AIME of course – a perfect way to end this trip report

In conclusion, Lufthansa definitely scores very well in my book and the service is especially good given the light load. The F/As were personable and smiled all the times. They spoke perfect English and every request was met with an “of course.” The bed is definitely the highlight – a bit old school, but is actually a good feature to have. No need to worry about having F/A to make up my bed and more space for my stuff to lie around. It almost feels like home. Thanks for reading all the trip reports!

Carfield

Comment

Well I am currently assigned 81C as well, looks like I should change to 83 or 84 then.

Do you have a pic of the contents of the amenity kit by any chance ?

Do you think I should go for Japanese choice ?

Comment

Sorry it is all packed up, as I am on the road. However I think the content is similar as before. Only with the change of bag... I will show one with all the contents on my next LH flight.

You can do both... except entree... but the F/As are constantly offering all appetizers to all passengers... Entree... I think they are a bit tight but for all other courses, you are free to mix and match or eat as much as you like!

Carfield

Comment

Cheers for the TR, Carfield!
                          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Love to know that LH 740 and 741 is using the new configured 747.....

Thanks for the TR.
                            AC-SE (2007-Now), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

Comment

The food offering was definitely better than SQ F so was the presentation. IMO SQ F needs improvement in many areas!

Comment

Working...
                              X