Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Fall 2011 Trip report I: Flying JL Flagship route in J

Hi all,

Here is a series of trip reports for my fall travel to Japan. The main goal is to fly the Boeing 787 “Dreamliner” on November 1, and along the way, I will take a few domestic flights, including a new airline – Air Do/Hokkaido International airlines. Let start with an interesting transpacific flight! I will apologize for the lack of interior photos on some of the flights, especially in the evening, when pictures are really difficult to get. Some of the pictures are from my Iphone so quality might be slightly compromise, especially on this first flight.

Flying a flight #1 is always special because this flight possibly has a a strong history behind it, and Japan Airlines flight 1 and 2 are no surprise. It is one of the first transpacific flights launched by the airline, and has flown by most of its flagship aircraft, such as DC-6, DC-8, and of course Boeing 747, and San Francisco has always been a golden West Coast route for Japan Airlines. Current days, JL 1 has returned to Haneda, also known as Tokyo International airport, which is the original international airport of the city anyway. When Haneda reopened for international traffic last year, Japan Airlines has shifted its San Francisco flight back to where it all started – Tokyo Haneda. Due to restriction placed on Haneda and the only busy nature oft the airport handling all the domestic flights, (and to protect Narita, in my opinion), long haul international flights can only be flown during the late night and early morning hours (10pm to 7am). JL 2 has since moved to an evening departure time and I have a feeling that this flight might be struggling a bit due to the lack of connection traffic – only to Bangkok and Singapore, as well as the lack of same-day domestic connection flights because it arrives too late. However, it is good for me, as award inventory is quite easy to find. (Unfortunately, I was not able to take advantage of 50% off award promotions, since I am flying it in October). However my flight was quite full this evening, I presume it was because of being in a weekend or all these promotions lately.

October 29, 2011
    JL 1 SFO-HND Lv1840 Arr2220 the Next day Boeing 777-200ER JA710J
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqTyA

It was a beautiful day here in San Francisco and sometimes I wish SFO could always be like this and no airport delay. Anyway, it was pretty cloudy and foggy the week before, and I was happy to see sunshine. My inbound American Airlines flight arrived on time, not to mention a good one with full pre-takeoff beverage and a very good F/A, Brian, working this short flight. I got more service on this flight than some of the DFW-LAX flight. Anyway, I took my time to walk over to Japan Airlines counter. (Yes I was issued the SFO-HND boarding pass at LAX, but as an avid aviation enthusiast, I would like a real Japan Airlines issued boarding pass). The international terminal was not particular busy, as most of the European flights, except BA and Virgin, had left, along with the afternoon bank of Jetblue flights. The terminal was quieter since Virgin America had moved out.

Japan Airlines uses Aisle 9 for check-in, and it is fully staffed with separate lanes for business, premium economy and regular economy class. There was no wait in all cabin classes, despite the flight was pretty full. An agent immediately greeted me by my last name and a boarding pass was issued immediately. However, they will weigh your carry on baggage, and 10 pounds is the limit, and the agent will advise you that TSA may give you issues. Anyway, pack accordingly! My carry on was two pounds over, but after a few shuffling, it was good. It was just strange to go through this process flying premium class. But I will give JAL credits for all the special recognition given to my Oneworld Emerald status.

Check-in area 9

Seasons Executive Class check-in

Very well maintained and staffed check-in area

Using plane-finder, Japan Airlines 2 from Haneda was on time and I made my way to gate to see the plane landing. However due to the position of the sun, the pictures did not come out great. Anyway, here they are!

BA 744 G-CIVG heading to LHR

JA710J coming in

Gate A7
    What I called “The multicultural dream of the United States” painting (as a sociologist, it is interesting to note its placement and its symbolism. You almost feel the irony considered how our immigration staffs treat foreigners.)

Here comes the most disappointing part of the whole experience! Sakura Lounge at SFO – it is a very classic Sakura lounge, circa early eighties, and surprisingly it resembles the old Sakura lounge at Narita, as well as a number of Sakura lounges at out stations. It features row of seats facing towards the window. It’s functional, but aesthetically, it is dull and uninspiring. Snack choices include Onigiri, sandwiches, & assorted packaged snacks.

Entrance to the lounge

A few pictures of the lounge

Food and beverage area

I stayed for a bit just to check email and then proceeded to the gate, after the staffs made an announcement that boarding would start shortly. SFO was fairly quiet at these hours with only London flights and our flight to Tokyo. The late night Asian flights have yet to arrive, and the busy Philippine Airlines is possibly still at its check-in stage. One thing that Japan Airlines strikes me is the amount of staff they have hired – check-in desks are fully staffed and at the gate, there were at least four agents, as well as four other agents roaming around the gate and checking passport. Then there were a few suit-wearing staffs. For one single daily flight, JAL hires many staffs. That is the way a full service airline should be.

A horrible picture of JA710J at A10 – note that only door two was used (but both doors are used in Tokyo)

As I said before, the gate was packed and it was a pretty full flight back to Tokyo for most Japanese customers.

Boarding supposed to start at 6:10pm, but the boarding time had come and gone, and kept on pushing back every ten minutes. There was apparently a computer issue, and I was praying that it was not going any longer. I tracked this flight for the past week and it went out on time everyday. I must choose the lucky day. Boarding finally started at 7:05pm. Business class, aka Seasons Executive Class at JAL, was okay full with all the middle seats empty, and a few window seats here and then. I really think JAL should have gone with a 2-2-2 seating especially on long haul flights. Not many cabin pictures, as it was late at night and I did not feel too comfortable with so many people. The ambience was to get dinner over with and everybody went to rest.

Cabin shot (first J cabin) – there were two sections – fours rows between door 1 and 2, and four more rows behind door 2, followed by Premium Economy, and then Economy.

My seat 1K – best seat, as it was in the bulkhead and allowed me easy access to bathroom without disturbing my neighbor at 1H. Storage is a bit tricky but once seat belt sign was off, you should easily put your laptop bag down in the floor. Much space to play with!

Unlike ANA, pre-takeoff beverage has not returned at JAL yet. F/As were busy with newspaper distribution, and taking care of cabin baggage. The F/As were superb on this flight and paid attention to all details. The F/A serving my side of the cabin immediately spotted my roller bag and immediately placed it in the cabin. Unlike some US F/A just pointing to the space, she insisted on carrying it and placing it in the closet. Amenities were followed – no amenity kit and the usual amenities – toothbrush sets, eyeshades, ear plugs, as well as some special items, like eye fresheners and moisturizing face masks.

Typical Japanese fashion, boarding was completed within fourteen minutes – very different from traveling US domestic flight these days. Everyone was considerate and carried only one carry on item, and those with two were quick to store the bags and not blocking the aisles. Door closed at 7:19pm, and interestingly, the pilot made an announcement apologizing for the delay and ensured that it was safe to fly. The maintenance head at SFO also made an announcement apologizing. So many apologies! Pushed back at 7:23pm and it was a beautiful night in SF. We taxied towards R/W28L and took off at 7:40pm towards a starry night along the coast. Routing took us towards North California – Point Arena, and we reached 34,000feet before approaching Cape Mendocino, and then climbed to 36,000feet before reaching the Gulf of Alaska and the Kodiak Islands. It was a clear night and I was able to spot the number of small cities along the Bristol Bay and Alaskan rugged coastlines. We climbed further to 37,000feet before reaching the end of the Aleutian Islands – Attu I think, and then towards Japan at 38,000feet. Mito was our first Japanese city as we descend towards Tokyo Bay and Haneda Airport.

Seat belt sign was off at 7:46pm, and service immediately started. The pace of the service was just right – efficient and not rushing you. Hot towels were first passed out in lacquered trays – nice feature!

Then a tray of welcome beverages – champagne or orange juice – champagne was my choice this evening!

Hot towel in a lacquered tray

Then the F/A passed out the menu, and I was addressed by my last name throughout the flight, and my Oneworld Emerald status was really recognized throughout the flight by the whole crew. The purser did her personal greeting, and I felt more recognized as a loyal passenger than American Airlines itself. What an irony! JAL really surpasses my expectation, as one of my Japanese colleagues pointed out, JL was known to be very pro-active in recognizing premium passengers, and ANA was just not as good. Anyway, on my next JAL domestic flight to Sapporo, the purser and the crews also gave me special attentions from check-in to the flight itself.

Comment

Beverage service next with an amuse-bouche

Turkey Ham with Pepperonata

Portabella Mushroom & Artichoke Dip

Here is the wine list:
      Wine List
      Champagne
      Champagne Delamotte Brut

White Wines
      Chanson Vire-Clesse 2008 or 2009
      Redwood Creek Sauvignon Blanc 2009 or 2010

Red Wines
      Sirius Rouge 2008 or 2009
      Blue Moon Wines Silver Peak Zinfandel 2005 or 2006
      Louis Jadot Bourgogne Rouge Convent des Jacobins 2008

JAL Café Lines collaboration with Yoshiaki Kawashima, the famous coffee master
      Coffee of the Month “Bourbon Parra”

I had a glass of the Sauvignon Blanc!
      Snack baskets were passed out next with the usual Japanese rice crackers and baked cheese sticks with seafood flavor and almonds (quite good)

Dinner choices were taken next and I had the Western dinner with beef entrée – not a fan of the Chilean sea bass.
      The food was very good and the main meal was served in two courses – appetizers and then entrée… Dessert came last with tea or coffee. They used to do a round of chocolate and digestive service after dessert, but you had to request them now.

Here is the dinner menu!

Dinner
      Japanese
      Selection of nine seasonal colorful delicacies in “Kobachi” bowls – exquisite tastes, hues and freshness of the season

Perfect with Sake & Wine
      Duck Meatball & Simmered Freeze-dried Tofu
      Simmered Chicken roll “Yuzu” Pepper Flavor
      Smoked Salmon roll with Cream Cheese

Cold Delicacies
      Seaweed in Jelly/ Steamed Chilean sea-bass with Apple Vinegar Sauce
      Yuba Tofu & Simmered Conger Eel with Japanese Starch Sauce
      Japanese Noodles “Soba” Sushi Roll Style

Hot, Savory Delicacies
      Grilled Greenland Halibut “Saikyo Miso” Flavor
      Deep-simmered Pork with Sweet Soy sauce
      Steamed Sea-bream with Lotus Root Mousse

Salt-pickled Squid

Steamed Rice/Japanese Pickles/Miso Soup
      We are pleased to offer freshly steamed Koshihikari rice.

Peach Panna Cotta
      Green Tea

*Please note the Japanese meals are still served in two courses, but they are more designed for Japanese passengers. Your first course will be the first nine dishes presented in the menu, and the second course will be the salt-pickled squid, rice, soup and pickles, which is to clean your palette.

Western Style
      Amuse-Bouche
      Turkey Ham with Pepperonata
      Portabella Mushroom & Artichoke Dip
      *Served to all passengers regardless of meal choices

Hors d’Oeuvre
      Foie Gras with Truffle
      Avocada & Lobster Salad with Quail Egg

Main Dish (choices)
      Grilled Fillet of US Prime Beef with Red Wine Sauce

Fresh Fillet of Chilean Sea bass with Beurre Blanc Sauce

Bread or Steamed Rice
      We are pleased to offer freshly steamed Koshihikari rice.

Peach Panna Cotta

Coffee/Tea/Herbal Tea

Another hot towel service at 9:30pm and then everyone went to rest, and the F/A made sure everyone know about the “anytime you wish” service, and service need to be completed ninety minutes prior to landing. They were flexible with it, but you should order 90 minutes before landing. You can basically order as many dishes as you want throughout the flight. There was a snack pantry in the forward and mid cabin with mini pastries like Coffee Madeline, coconut tarts, Ginger chocolate cakes, red bean pancakes, boxes of mini truffles, dried squids and other packaged snacks. The bar area was nice and the F/A made some Origami decorations too. These pictures were from I-phones, so the quality was alright!

Entertainment wise – Magic III was available but I did not use it at all, as I was not interested in watching movies and the television selection was small. There were the belly camera during takeoff and landing, which were always cool to look at! NHK News were shown too after takeoff, and then an exercise video around 4am/8pm Tokyo time to wake passengers up for second meal service, and yes the F/A turned on the light (not full blast though) and walked around taking meal orders. An arrival video was shown later at 9pm Tokyo time. Duty free shops were available throughout the flight, and the F/A walked around the brochure after both meal services. Shopping is a big thing in Japan – available on every flights – domestic or international.

The seat was not the greatest and my main complaint was the seat padding – very weak and I ended up placing my blanket on top of the seat bottom. I took a short nap after dinner and stayed up till landing. It was best way to adjust to local time. There were electrical outlet for my laptop and caught up with Family Guys. I then spent a bit of time standing in the bar area and chatted with the nice F/A. JAL F/As were pretty friendly and I found out that they only had one night here in San Francisco and no longer stayed in the city but at the airport. All Hawaii and West Coast flights were one overnight only – not unusual in the industry anymore.

Comment

The Bar area in front of the first business class section

Here is anytime you wish menu:
        Anytime You Wish
        Order in the Sky
        Grilled Cod Roe & Yam Sauce on Steamed Rice

Mariage – for the side of your favorite wine
        Assorted Cheeses

Sky Bistro
        Hamburger
        JAL’s specially Selected Curry with Steamed Rice
        Linguine with Tomato Cream Sauce
        Fresh Seasonal Salad with Ranch Dressing
        New England Chowder

“Sora Men Tei” Noodle Shop in the Sky
        Japanese “Udon” noodles in Soup with Edible Wild Plants

Boulangerie
        Finger Sandwiches with Egg Salad, Turkey, and Ham
        Focaccia Sandwich with Mozzarella

Japanese Finger Food
        Grilled Skewered Chicken “Yakitori”

“Sora-Gohan” – Japanese Set Plate
        Kobachi
        Vinegared Crabmeat

Dainomono
        Braised Fillet of Yellowtail with Grilled Radish Sauce

Steamed Rice
        Miso Soup

“Gochisou-Plate” – Western Set Plate
        Relish
        Fresh Fruits

Main dish
        Wild Mushroom Lasagna Roll with Cream & Tomato Sauce

Roll

Dolce
        Chocolate
        Ice Cream
        Fresh Fruits

I chose to have my final meal an hour and fifty minutes prior to landing.

I chose the JAL Curry rice, which was okay, but there was no meat or seafood component – a bit of a letdown. I also had a bowl of chowder, as well as a light salad. The F/A remembered that I did not use salad dressing. You got to love the detailed orientation here. The meal came in one tray with hot towel!

Afterward I had the fruit plate, which was basically cut oranges with strawberries.

Descent soon began at 9:53pm local Japanese time. The purser did her goodbye to passengers and not much circling tonight! The F/A told me that Haneda was very strict with landing after 10pm due to noise pollution. The pilots tried to catch up and could not get an earlier slot, but we were closed to on time, and it was good, as we missed all the traffic earlier in the night when all the Asian flights arrived. We landed on R/W34L at 10:32pm, the runway right next to the international terminal, and it was a nice terminal for sure. We parked at gate 111 four minutes later, and I was a bit wearied about the long wait at immigration counters after reading some of the early reports here. However, my experience was quite the contrary, as it was almost empty in the immigration line, as most of the Air Asia X passengers were processed, and all the earlier flights had already passed by. I was the first one in line, and the only line was the custom counter, as the officers were quite strict. I guess we had a KL arrival flight, and some of the Japanese passengers were buying lots of goods. With no check-in baggage, the custom officer just took a glance and waved me by. I was in the public area in less than fifteen minutes. I headed to the shuttle bus stop for Hotel JAL Sky City Haneda and the bus showed up right on time, and the hotel was only five minutes away from the airport. Here is the end of Part I!

Comment

J with JL certainly not bad, but I think they would have a hard time to fight with NH's business staggered.

Btw, is JL really giving up SFO ? I make no sense to only have one flight but fly to HND instead of NRT, and also evening departure

Do they have lotion in the amenity basket ?

Comment

yes they still have lotions in the bathroom, but not the individual sized bottles for you to take home.

From my conversation with the F/A, JAL is caught off guard with the delay of the 787s, and the 767s have limited range. Even it can do SFO-NRT nonstop (DL does), and maybe the economics is not great. So I presume with 787 coming on line, they may relaunch the SFO to NRT, so they can capture some of the connection traffic.

Carfield

Comment

Originally posted by Carfield View Post
              An aircraft belongs to NRT based but flying to HND, interesting...!

Comment

Originally posted by Carfield View Post
                Champagne Delamotte Brut
                Nice to see them staying with the Salon theme.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                X