A dash of London and a serving of Leeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dash of London and a serving of Leeds

Having enjoyed many trip reports here and on flyertalk, I decided that I will do my maiden trip report on London and Leeds, where I am right now.

Background:

I am a Singaporean who is in Leeds now. I study at the University of Leeds, where I will be for the next five years.

This TR starts off in Changi Airport...

10th September 2011
    SIN-LHR
    SQ322
    9V-SKC

Took the redeye to London in order to reach Leeds before the sun set.
    Arrived at the Airport at 0900... went inside the gate at 1020 after being sent off by relatives and friends. Being rushed for time and having a Priority Pass, I went to the nearest lounge which was the Ambassador Transit Lounge in T3, as I have a priority pass but no status with any airline. I did manage to get 30kg with SIA as I am a student and I sent in proof of my offer letter.

The food and drink selection was terrible. Alcohol is payable at $15 for 2 bottles of Tiger, food was limited to a measly fried rice, some paos and cold samosas. Didn't bother to take a picture of the food offering.

However, one could shower in this lounge.

Water pressure was good but they used one of those icky all in one soap shampoo and conditioner. Felt refreshed after the shower.

Then headed off to the gate. Long queue at security for there were flights leaving for Sydney, Paris and London at around the same time at gates A1, A3 and A2 respectively.

Took a few blurry photos of the A380 and a 773 on the way to the airplane. My apologies, I only had my iPhone.

The Actual Flight

Took an upper deck seat. Upper Deck boards first but since I was showering at the lounge and only arrived at the gate at 11.10, they were already boarding main deck.

Legroom shot. I'm a pretty tall guy (1.83m) but it was comfortable.

A380 Config 1 upper deck

Take off was smooth and quiet!

Supper, Salmon Masala. Quite tasteless actually. The spices overpowered the salmon.

Watched Kung Fu Panda 2 before falling asleep.

Woke up somewhere over Ukraine/Russia.

A380 Main Deck Economy

Breakfast onboard

Comment

Heathrow Airport

arrived in London. Seems like there were no other arrival at T3 besides SQ322 where we disembarked at 0600 UK time.

Customs was smooth. There was a dedicated lane for first time students which was quite fast. I entered the queue at 6.15 and was cleared by the friendly (!) immigration officer (he wasn't so friendly to the PRC passport holder before me, holding him up for a health check (TB and chest X-ray) ) at 6.45pm.

By the time I was out, my luggage was waiting for me at the carousel.

Then had a LONG walk to the central bus station for my coach to London Victoria.

Comment

Central London

My original coach was scheduled for 0955 to leave London Heathrow and Arrive at London Victoria at 1040, then London Victoria to Leeds City Bus Station at 1130 to reach at 1550. Having reached the bus station at 0700, where the bus to Victoria was preparing to leave, I (and a Japanese couple who barely spoke English) was rudely brushed off by the coach driver, despite his colleague saying I could get on should there be empty seats, which there were in abundance.

Next bus to Central London was.... at 0830.

So, I waited at the bus station for an hour and a half. Weather was pleasant and I used my UK SIM to speak to my parents and friends back home thru Skype and whatsapp. The hour and a half passed quickly, as did my iPhone battery. Thank God for SIA's USB cable and portable chargers.

Legroom shot of the National Express Salvador Caetano Levante bus

As you can see it's smaller than economy class. I also had to put on my seatbelt which was real tight, making the journey quite uncomfortable.

Had KFC for breakfast, mini full english breakfast for 2.99 pounds

Toured Victoria Station area

People stand on the right and not left as in Singapore. I only realized that when I was the only one on the left on the elevator....

Comment

Coach Journey from London to Leeds

Set off at 11.30am for I was told that National Express is not as flexible with bus schedules not originating from airports.

Took the same model bus, equally uncomfortable but luckily I was quite jet lagged and slept most of the way. We basically went the length of the M1 motorway. Anyone knows what the speed limit is? I didn't see any posted speed limit anywhere.

Some pix i took on the way

Finally arrived in Leeds at 15.45pm.

Comment

Leeds

I live about 15 mins from the city center in an area with alot of student housing. The weather is not much colder than an airconditioned room. The wind is extremely strong though.

My room

Comment

Exploring Leeds

Leeds is a small city of around 800,000 people. I have to admit I was in for abit of culture shock over here. There's quite abit of implicit racism, ignorant people who ask which part of China Singapore is in, people commenting that I speak good English for a Chinese person. Besides that, there are the little little things that take adjusting to. e.g, not all washrooms are foc. you pay 30p per entry to a toilet. Which I have already developed a habit of looking for any foc toilets and relieving myself even if I'm not too urgent whenever I come across them (in uni, mcdonalds, Marks and Spencer etc), Groceries have to be packed by yourself in supermarkets, having alot of coins is the norm here, the cold weather. Banks are inefficient, 50 pound notes are thoroughly checked whenever one uses them. I also notice that there are alot of young mothers here. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the government fully subsidises O&G services and gives subsidies to mothers. The people here also drink alot, smoke alot and many have tattoos. Unusual for someone from prim and proper Singapore. Or maybe I'm just ignorant as well.

my first proper Yorkshire meal. Roast beef with yorkshire pudding and vegetables.

no queue

Last edited by isaac; 15 September 2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

More Leeds

two punnets of strawberries for 1.50GBP. I later realized I got chopped as they were selling for three punnets for 1 pound today.

Beer is a way of life here

the building where I will be spending my first two years of University.

We are actually connected to the Leeds General Infirmary which is very convenient.

Comment

Did you consider SQ328 to Manchester. I would have gone on this route, then take a train into Manchester for a connecting train to leeds from Manchester Victoria station.

EDIT: it looks like you can get a direct train from the airport to leeds. - http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/m.../Content/Train

Leeds is a small city of around 800,000 people. I have to admit I was in for abit of culture shock over here. There's quite abit of implicit racism, ignorant people who ask which part of China Singapore is in, people commenting that I speak good English for a Chinese person. Besides that, there are the little little things that take adjusting to. e.g, not all washrooms are foc. you pay 30p per entry to a toilet. Which I have already developed a habit of looking for any foc toilets and relieving myself even if I'm not too urgent whenever I come across them (in uni, mcdonalds, Marks and Spencer etc), Groceries have to be packed by yourself in supermarkets, having alot of coins is the norm here, the cold weather. Banks are inefficient, 50 pound notes are thoroughly checked whenever one uses them. I also notice that there are alot of young mothers here. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the government fully subsidises O&G services and gives subsidies to mothers. The people here also drink alot, smoke alot and many have tattoos. Unusual for someone from prim and proper Singapore. Or maybe I'm just ignorant as well.
                  They will pack your bags if you ask. Couldnt agree more about the people. Thats what its like though in Leeds. Other areas of the country are allot better. The prices of things down south are more expensive!

The wind has been really strong up north for the last few days. The bike shed at work got blown away.
                  Thanks for sharing your TR
                  Last edited by FN-GM; 15 September 2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the TR!

Originally posted by isaac
                    The food and drink selection was terrible. Alcohol is payable at $15 for 2 bottles of Tiger, food was limited to a measly fried rice, some paos and cold samosas.
                    Wait until you see the cold snacks (and nothing else) in some European lounges!

We basically went the length of the M1 motorway. Anyone knows what the speed limit is?
                    For cars at least, 70mph.

We are actually connected to the Leeds General Infirmary which is very convenient.
                    Try not to get involved in too many fights!

Comment

Thanks for the TR Haven't been to the UK for over 40 years now, so it's changed quite a lot I see!

Comment

Welcome to the UK I hope you have as great a time studying in the Midlands as I did.

Comment

All the best in your studies in Leeds! Dentistry or Medicine?

Comment

There is 1 survival tip I have for you. Make friends, make lots of friends

Comment

Hi Isaac.

Welcome to the UK and welcome to Leeds (The closest city to my home town). Leeds is a fantastic city and I guarantee that you will enjoy your time there! What are you studying... Medicine I assume?

It is such a shame that BD ended their LHR-LBA route however there are still a few options to get to LBA with one stop (KL and AF mainly ). Personally I always fly into MAN (millions of options available to MAN as well as SQ) and catch the train directly from the airport to Leeds station (If you book in advance with a student rail card this can cost about £4). Even if you fly to London I would advise you to catch the underground to Kings Cross and then catch a train to Leeds (2hrs).. Catching the bus is such a long affair and is physically draining.

In answer to your question about the M1.. The speed limit is 70mph for all vehicles which is the top speed limit in the UK and is applied to all motorways and dual carriage ways.

Also, don't waste your money buying Asda smart price water here lol.. The tap water everywhere in the UK is drinking water and IMO tastes better than smart price bottled water

If you have any questions about Leeds/Yorkshire or about Medicine (I am a 4th year Medicine student at Newcastle) then feel free to ask me

Good luck!
                              Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Working...
                              X