• Show
Clear All

Dessert
    Roedjak manis
    Traditional Indonesian cucumber salad with a sweet sauce

Contents of box – peppermint candy, salt & pepper shakers and cinnamon cake

Cinnamon cake

Entertainment:

I got the Dig E players this time, and the selection was the same as KLM AVOD entertainment system on other aircrafts. It was not an extensive selection, so I just watched a very old episode of “Everybody Loves Raymond” and watched Family Guys and Hot in Cleveland in my I-phones. The Universal power outlets are definitely good, and honestly this is the single most important feature that all airlines need to install in all seats in all cabin classes, and American Airlines, you are very behind in this matter especially on your international fleet. PTV in 763 will be nice, but please change those EmPort outlets to these universal power outlets.

Seats:
    Just some additional pictures showing various features of the seats – a bit better than then outbound flight, since I had the freedom and time to do it.

Seat buttons

Tray Table

These steel legs – they made lots of sounds during takeoff and landing

Seats in recline position

Headrest – adjustable

Comment

Legrest lever

Seats in full recline position – very low and close to the floor

Another view

Another view from the back of the seat

Legroom shot:

Arrival:
      Descent began at 4:26pm, a bit earlier than anticipated, and the F/A had to rush a bit on the landing preparation. We landed on R/W27 at 5:50pm and parked at gate D10 again four minutes later. Nice see the Qatar Airways Boeing 777-200LR A7-BBF next door! The immigration hall was relatively quiet, as most Qatar Airways passengers were almost done processing, and the BA 777 flight had yet to arrive, along with Continental’s usual Mexican arrivals. I had global entry and was out in minutes. Bags were already in the baggage claim, as I completed the formalities. It was very quick – not a surprise given the small load. A perfect end to a nice service!

Conclusion:

It is definitely a very nice service, and it is sad to see it going away soon. I can’t help to overhear a few conversations between frequent traveler and flight attendants concerning the discontinuation of this service. This all-business-class jet service allows short and easier boarding and deplaning. There is no need to fight for overhead spaces and boarding is just so much easier especially in Amsterdam when elite boarding was hard to reinforce and the gate spaces are limited. Of course it is hard to miss that private jet aura and the Privatair F/As really know their passengers well, and are observant and provide a very business oriented service. This premium ambiance is something that KLM can’t really provide because their crews work different cabins on different flights. With airlines struggling with premium loads and more executives flying premium economy and economy in transatlantic flights, a full service flight may work better for KLM, and of course the capabilities to carry cargoes can improve profitability. However KLM WBC meal services and wines are just lacking, and the wine lists are just disappointing at best. There are surely nice improvements, like adding condiments to the green salad and fresh full-sized appetizers, I still don’t understand why the second meal on westbound flights has to be Indonesian style, which is a bit spicy and tough on the stomach especially towards the end of a ten hours journey. Why can’t KLM offer a typical light Western supper? I will prefer pasta with a simple sauce or a light meat/seafood stew dish or even a chunky soup with bread rolls. Beef Rendang or Coconut chicken dish might be a bit much. Today’s selection is not even the usual popular dishes – completely unknown and the fish dish just sounded awful (despite actually tastes fine). You can offer an Indonesian meal option, but maybe served something more well known and actually give a bit more description. Even as a fan of authentic Asian food, the Indonesian meals are not what I want on a plane at the end of a long flight. Also most Americans are more conservative in their food preferences, and I feel that lots of food is wasted because they just don’t like the spice. Of course I understand the colonial history and the connection between Indonesia and the Netherlands, but spicy food was not really appropriate at that time of the day or at the final stage of the flight. Despite my disappointment with catering, Privatair definitely ups the games for KLM, and this service will be deeply missed.

Final picture – HB-JJA back in Houston again at D10!
      Last edited by Carfield; 28 August 2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I thought the Selamat Makan is a very nice touch!
        Life's A Bitch,
        Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

No delft house?

Comment

Thanks for the very detailed TR, Carfield. Reminds me of when I did IAH-AMS on one of these Privatair 737's last year. It was a great flight.

Originally posted by Carfield View Post
            For the outbound flight, boarding began at 7:34pm, as the loading was very light and a little less than half full.
            Originally posted by Carfield View Post
            The return flight was very light in loading, and I checked it daily, and there were less than five and six assigned seats, and today’s loading ended up with thirteen, and the security at the gate told me that there were only four paid passengers. Good for me and not good for KLM!
            When I did it the load was only around 10 pax as well, which probably explains why the service is being dropped. Although if I was flying in J on the route I would take this over the KL flight every time.

The service was more personable and warmer than your typical World Business Class experience.
            Not too difficult when compared against the (in)famous KLM Snork Maidens.

Comment

Perhaps this is what QF have in mind. Based in SIN, all J class A320s for regional travel...

Enjoyable TR as usual Carfield. True aviation enthusiast

Comment

Great TR Carfield! Never got a chance to fly this Privatair flight myself so I appreciate the photos.
                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Thanks for this wonderful TR and for all the great shots taken from the Panaromic Terrace. I think that's the best place to kill time at Schiphol.

The "Selamat Makan" is indeed a nice touch by KLM. And yes, what happen to the Blue Delft Houses?

Comment

Selamat Makan! I love Asian food.

Comment

Working...
                    X