Binge in Bangkok by 3K and FD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binge in Bangkok by 3K and FD

Barely a week after my trip to Auckland, it was yet another short trip to the neighbouring city of Bangkok. Purpose of trip: Food, massages, and more food! With so many reports on the SIN-BKK sectors around, it will mainly be a pictorial report. Outbound is on Jetstar while inbound was booked on Thai AirAsia (Jetstar's evening return flight is too late for my liking even though prices are slightly cheaper).

Checked in about 2hrs before departure for the evening flight and proceeded to The Green Market in Terminal 2 for a free set meal compliments of my credit card. Priority Pass holders will get the same set meal too! Lets take a look at the set meal offering:

Japanese appetisers buffet

Grilled cod fish

Sashimi

Steamed egg. There was also a bowl of garlic rice and a lime juice drink.

After dinner, we proceeded to the gate. Flight had just started boarding. It seems that quite a number of passengers were connecting from the Jetstar MEL & AKL flights.

17 August 2011
    Jetstar Asia
    3K 513
    Singapore (SIN) - Bangkok (BKK)
    A320
    9V-JSC
    Economy Class

Yep, Jetstar do issue proper boarding passes.

My 3rd flight on 9V-JSC, having just flown on her a month earlier from KL.

Couple of SQ A333s departing.

This plane has the Valuair titles too!

Crew preparing the plane for departure. Flight time was 2hrs. Load was about 60-70%, not too full.

Myth: All seats on 3K's A320 are 29" pitch.
    Truth: Only the seats in front have 29" pitch. Those in the rear have horrible seat pitch!
    I was seated in row 29 (2nd last row) and the legroom is so much less than when I was seated in row 10 on this exact same aircraft!

Row 29 legroom

Row 10 legroom (from previous flight)

Note to myself: Try not to get seats towards the rear of the plane if possible on the next 3K A320 flight.

We pushed back on-time.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Some plane spotting during the short taxi to the active runway 20C. We were number 6 for takeoff. Busy evening at Changi!

Good to see you again! Jetstar's A332 VH-EBE preparing for her flight to Auckland. Flew her just a week before this trip back from AKL.

Jet Airways A332.

Another A330, this time a Qantas A333.

After holding for more about 10min, we finally took off from Rwy20C.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwY7fJbQ37s

Making a turn back towards the airport.

Dusk over Singapore. You can spot T3 at the bottom right corner.

The sky is on fire!

Stuff in seat pocket.

Shortly after seat belt signs were switched off, crew came down with immigration forms followed by onboard food and beverage sales. Sales on this flight were not bad, and a number of passengers even ordered hot meals! Great commission for the cabin crew I guess. However as I had my meal earlier on, I did not order anything on this short flight.

Crew conducting BOB service.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhPsapcu1xE

Final few minutes of sunlight.

Cabin view

All too soon, we started our descent into Bangkok. Somewhere over Pattaya, I think.

Final approach to Rwy19R.

We landed 10min ahead of schedule. Not bad!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeDarR42M1I

Another smooth flight on Jetstar, just don't sit near the rear of the plane in the future.

My Travel Map

Comment

Binging time!!

My Travel Map

Comment

Dddddrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllll !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
          Grilled cod fish
          Interesting. It used to be saba (mackerel), not cod. Is this still in the 'free' category of the standard four options, or did you have to pay a top-up?

Comment

Green market looks like its getting a wee bit better...

BTW, any massage pics

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              Green market looks like its getting a wee bit better...

BTW, any massage pics
              hows bout coyote dancers in Bangkok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JviL1...t=HL1314075655
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

After all the cheap and good food, it was time to bade goodbye to Bangkok. No worries, I would be back in 2 month's time!

Flew on the last Thai Air Asia flight back to SIN, departing at 1645hrs, which is a descent timing as both Tiger and Jetstar flights depart much later and arrives in SIN after midnight (midnight = high taxi surcharges). Arrive at the airport about 1hr45min before departure and checked in at the desk. Self-check-in machines were also available but did not use them as there was no one at the counter check-in desks anyway. No wait for check-in.

We were assigned seats 21A and B. Proceeded through immigration and security right after.

20 August 2011
                Thai Air Asia
                FD 3505
                Bangkok (BKK) - Singapore
                A320
                HS-ABH
                Budget Class

Departure gate has an aerobridge and the plane was parked beside a EK A380 departing for Hong Kong.

HS-ABH being prepared for our flight. The windows at BKK were full of streaks!

Thai A333 parked beside.

Boarding. Crew were busier checking on the catering items rather than assisting passengers in the boarding process. Load around 60-70% full and boarding was completed rather swiftly.

At the gate.

Seat pitch was tight as usual on a budget flight. Seat 21C was also taken up.

Doors closed on time and we pushed back with safety demo.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbo5Bdf0_XU

Ethiopian B763, departing for HKG?

Emirates A380 that was parked beside us. Preparing for the short hop to HKG.

Taxi to the runway. Visible are 4 airlines which had pulled out of SIN (SK, LX, OS and GF).
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKalOeq4M8

Wing reflecting the sunlight.

Takeoff from Rwy19L for the 2hrs flight to SIN.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZfg3dQ_t0

Climbing to 36000ft.

Post takeoff announcement.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csB7c6JaH8o

Blue skies.

Really lots of stuff in the seat pocket (not including the food crumbs).

My Travel Map

Comment

Meal service started. A set of crew first handed out pre-ordered meals while another set followed behind with the sales cart.

We had pre-ordered a meal each for 120Baht including a cup of water.

Chicken satay. 5 big sticks but did not taste that great. Probably because it was catered in Thailand instead of Malaysia? And where are the rice cakes??

Green curry chicken with rice. A much better option.

We also tried the monthly special, Grilled chicken with sticky rice, for 160Baht (comes with a can of root beer). Tasted ok.

After dinner and gazing out the window.

Cabin view.

Seeing that the last 2 rows of the plane was empty, we shifted to the rear. However, the legroom on row 29 on FD's A320 was equally horrible as on Jetstar! Notice: AVOID THE LAST FEW ROWS ON ALL BUDGET AIRLINE A320s!

Sunset.

Soon started descent. Interesting to note, even though descent has started (20min to landing), the crew still served a passenger a hot meal when he requested to purchase one! 15min to touchdown, another pax requested to purchase a coffee and the crew also served her! On any other Singapore based airline, all the crew would have prepared the cabin for landing and strapped up in their jumpseats by this time.

Approach over Batam.

Pilots only announced for the crew to be strapped for landing when the gears are down, which was less than 5mins to touchdown?

Along East Coast beach.

Landed on Rwy02L 10minutes early.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnKeIS1fXt4

Parked beside another Jetstar-Valuair plane.

On time, no delays, reasonable prices for onboard meals. Overall a comfortable flight on Thai Air Asia.

Comments very much welcomed. My next trip would be in 2 months to BKK and TPE via Tiger, KLM and SQ (with the SQ flight in Business)!
                  Last edited by ycp81; 24 August 2011, 12:47 AM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    Interesting. It used to be saba (mackerel), not cod. Is this still in the 'free' category of the standard four options, or did you have to pay a top-up?
                    There are now no options. The set meal they provide would consist of all the stuff in the photos I have taken.

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for the TR, ycp81, and thanks for the Green Market update also! Will give it a try the next time around as I do fancy cod...

Comment

Thanks for the yummy TR, ycp81.

Thanks too for the review on the Green Market lounge. The Priority Pass is certainly getting more useful in CHangi now!

Comment

Aroi mak mak!
                          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Working...
                          X