Budget Weekend Trips to Phuket & KL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Weekend Trips to Phuket & KL

Just 2 wks ago, I made my second beach holiday trip of the year, this time to Phuket. Went with a group of old friends over the weekend to chill out and just relax. As usual, with the frequent offers by the budget airlines, we managed to grab tickets at S$130 return on Tiger. Quite a good deal for tickets just bought slightly more than a month in advance. As I am sure almost all of us all very well-versed with the service (or lack-of) on budget airlines, this report would be mainly a pictorial one.

30 June 2011
    Tiger Airways
    TR 2154
    Singapore (SIN) - Phuket (HKT)
    A320
    9V-TAB
    Budget Class

Checked in 1.5hrs before the STD of 1820hrs. However the flight was retimed to 1855hrs due to late arrival of aircraft. Well, nothing new on Tiger.

9V-TAR just arrived back to base.

At 1845hrs, an announcement was made that the flight was further delayed to 1930hrs. Groans..... Our plane finally arrived at about 1920hrs. It was 9V-TAB, Tiger's oldest plane in its fleet in Singapore. 2nd time I am flying on it too.

Boarding started shortly after. There was no change of crew and no cleaning of aircraft either (will see why later).

All pax boarded. Flight was almost full! Great business for Tiger.

Awaiting pushback. Safety demo was done. Flight time announced to be 1hr20min at 37000ft.

Taxi to Rwy20L. Passing a SEAir A319 (ex-Tiger plane).

Takeoff from Rwy20C at about 2000hrs, almost 1.5hrs delay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFff7A56vkM

Night view of East Coast.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/...4db546bf_b.jpg

Tight seat pitch. All the seats were very worn out. A passenger's seat could not even stay upright and he had to be shifted to another seat before takeoff for safety reasons.

After a day of flights, the interior of the seat pockets were disgusting! Used tissues, immigration forms, wrappers, food crumbs ..... Gross!! I guess Tiger only clean their planes once a day. So the late evening flights would get real dirty cabins.

Reading materials in seat pocket. Tiger Tales was worn out.

Buy-on-board service was conducted, with sales of drinks and snacks. No hot food available on this short flight. Surprisingly, sales were quite good. Guess everyone were in their holiday mood. I did not buy anything though, but lets still take a look at the menu.

Descend and landed on Rwy27.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvOQXJi6b9g

Parked at the gate. A Business Air B767-300 a distance away.

Late flight, no frills, dirty seats, low fares. That is Tiger for you
    Last edited by ycp81; 19 July 2011, 11:43 PM.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Pigging out time in Phuket

My Travel Map

Comment

And for the return

03 July 2011
      Tiger Airways
      TR 2155
      Phuket (HKT) - Singapore (SIN)
      A320
      9V-TAT
      Budget Class

Check-in at the "new" Terminal 2, which is just basically a small check-in hall with more counters. We would still need to walk to Terminal 1 to clear immigration and security.

Tiger opened 2 desks for check-in.

Departure area with lots of shops selling overpriced items.

Our flight would be departing from Gate 5 with a STD of 1930hrs....

which was later changed to 1950hrs. Thats Tiger again. Luckily delay was not too long this time round.

Boarding the newer 9V-TAT. 5 cabin crew onboard, inclusive of 1 trainee crew. There was also a Korean crew. Looks like the Korean gals are still flying for Tiger.

Silkair A319 beside us, also to SIN. Our A320 was choc-a-block while the MI flight was definitely not too full judging by the number of pax waiting at the gate. Looks like lots of holiday makers still go for the cheaper fares on short trips.

9V-TAT is a much newer plane and equipped with leather seats. Also felt cleaner than the inbound flight. But legroom is still bad as expected.

First time seeing this onboard a flight.

Seat pocket materials. Magazine was a new issue.

My Travel Map

Comment

MI flight pushing back, and it was supposed to depart later than us!

Further delay while a mix-up was being sorted out. 2 pairs of passengers were assigned the same seats. A Pacific Blue B738 beside.

Finally pushed back after a 45min delay. Flight time of 1hr20min again at 36000ft. Taxi past a Air Asia A320.

Takeoff from Rwy09.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RaCFzCybyw

Tiger girls conducting buy-on-board service.

Again, sales were not too bad. But I did not purchase anything.

Landing at Changi Rwy20C. We arrived about 30min late.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0wi_3lHU8

Taxi to Budget Terminal.

Disembarking. The plane looks clean on the outside.

On the tarmac.

2 delays on Tiger on 2 flights, not too good. On the other hand, the tickets were cheap and so did not expect much. I will be doing another short trip to KL on Tiger and Jetstar in the next 2 days. Further report to come.
        Last edited by ycp81; 19 July 2011, 11:44 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Tiger's older planes esp the 1st few ones all looks like 9V-TAB with its seat covers so worned off and interior yellowish cabin lights and loose seat pockets and frayed carpeting. Tiger should have replaced the very worn seat covers and minor refurbishment of the interior as if one gets on oneof these older planes, the perception of Tiger will go down. Just took 9V-TAB to KUL on 18/7.

Comment

2 weeks after Phuket, I made a short 32hrs weekend getway to Kuala Lumpur. Tickets bought just slightly more than a week before departure was only S$40 on Tiger to KL and RM85 (or S$35) back to SIN on Jetstar. A great deal! More pictures and videos to do the talking.

17 July 2011
            Tiger Airways
            TR 2454
            Singapore (SIN) - Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
            A320
            9V-TAT
            Budget Class

At Tiger land again.

Thankfully, the flight is not delayed this time round.

Flying on 9V-TAT again 2 weeks after my last flight on her.

Boarding TAT.

SEAir A319 arriving from Manila Clark. Air China B763 taking off behind.

Cebu Pacific A320 also arrived from Manila.

SQ A380 taking off.

Pushing back from Tiger land.

SQ B773ER lifting off.

Star livery SQ B772 holding on Rwy20C.

My Travel Map

Comment

MH B734 taking off before us, heading to KUL too I guess.

Next up, QF A380 to Sydney.

Lots of planes queuing up behind us too.

Finally the Tiger is next to depart after the Lion. About 15-20min of waiting for departure.

Takeoff from Changi Rwy20C for the 35min hop to KUL. Nice scenery after takeoff.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0e8_-TVIbM

Marina Bay Sands and downtown Singapore in the distance.

Sentosa island and harbour area.

Climbing and heading into Johor after making a u-turn.

Announcement after seatbelt signs were switched off.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWlxVm705Q

First, immigration cards were distributed. Then the all gals cabin crew (1 Singaporean, 1 PRC and 2 Filipinos) came down with the BOB menu to take orders for snacks and drinks. Orders were then delivered from the galley. Guess it is more efficient for such a short flight than pushing the whole trolley down the aisle. Duty-free items were then offered for sale. Not many takers for the on-board sales though.

Nice weather for flying.

In between 2 layers of clouds.

My Travel Map

Comment

Blue skies

After a quick 15min cruise, we started our descent.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ydDlo4oXuA

Speedbrakes up.

Nice scenery into KL.

Civilisation in sight.

Flaps down.

Final approach, with lots of plantations below.

Landing in Kuala Lumpur Rwy14L, 15min behind schedule due to long queues for departure and holding prior to landing.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWBOSVzwZJA

Taxi to LCCT, passing the KLIA main terminal.

Parked at Air Asia land, LCCT.

Disembarking.

Last look at TAT while walking to immigrations.

Short flight, relatively on-time, no frills. Well worth the $40 i guess.
                Last edited by ycp81; 21 July 2011, 06:04 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Gaining my kilos in KL

18 July 2011
                  Jetstar Asia
                  3K 688
                  Kuala Lumpur (KUL) - Singapore (SIN)
                  A320
                  9V-JSC
                  Budget Class

Jetstar departs from the KLIA main terminal, a much welcome from the overcrowded LCCT terminal. Check-in desks at rows right at the end of the terminal. 3 desks opened for check-in. Check-in was handled by Malaysia Airlines ground staff.

However was surprised to find out that the flight was delayed by 2hrs!! Reason given, "operational reasons". No meal vouchers given for the delay. And I was not informed of the delay prior to departing for the airport. Well, I did received a SMS, but it was informing me of a delay for a flight departing from Perth, which I was not supposed to be flying on. Guess the automated system that sends messages screwed up. (Well, I tried to get my "customer guarantee" voucher via their call center but was rejected flatly as "I have been notified via SMS of the delay". It was a wrong SMS for goodness sake! Wrote in to feedback and is still waiting for their reply..)

My Travel Map

Comment

Jetstar issues proper boarding passes now instead of supermarket receipts.

KLIA has an area just after immigration with lots of model planes!

My flight would be departing from the satellite terminal.

The "rainforest" in the middle of the terminal.

With compliments of my Maybank Horizon Platinum credit card (and having charged my air-tickets to it), I was able to access the Plaza Premium Lounge to while away the time waiting for the delayed flight. Other passengers were not so lucky and have to make do with loitering around the terminal. The lounge is also used by Lufthansa, KLM, Royal Brunei and Japan Airlines Business Class passengers.

Salads selection.

Choices of hot food. Not bad.

Alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, juices, ice-cream, coffee/tea.

Fruits and some flight bites.

View of the lounge.

Proceeded to the gate at around 2250hrs. The plane has just arrived.

Plane was 9V-JSC with Valuair titles too. Flew on this plane once many years back.

Finally boarded the flight. Immigration forms were handed out by a crew near the door. Load was about 60-70%.

My Travel Map

Comment

At the gate awaiting pushback.

Surprisingly the seat pitch (at row 10) was actually quite decent. The last time I flew on this plane, I remembered the seat pitch being very tight. I was sitting near the rear of the plane then. This plane was not retrofitted and still has 30 rows (180 seats). Anyone can confirm that the seat pitch gets tighter towards the rear of the plane?

Reading materials in seat pocket. The magazine was "well read" (aka tattered and torn).

I was impressed with their onboard menu, especially the choiced of hot meals for longer flights.

More choices!

And lots of beverages too!

View towards the rear of cabin. Quite a number of empty seats.

Safety demo prior to pushback. According to the captain, the flight was delayed due to one aircraft down for maintenance. He did apologize for the delay though.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C30LKtsitjE

MH new A333s. 2 of them were parked on the remote bays. Why is MH not flying them?

Finally took off from Rwy14R for the 35min flight to Singapore.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcaJV1nk6wQ

Visit to the lav, which is relatively clean. And it has both paper towels and facial tissues!

Cabin crew conducted the BOB service in a similar way to Tiger, ie walking down the aisle with the food menu and duty-free mag.

Cabin view from the rear.

After a very short while, we began descending into Changi.

Landing on Rwy20R with very heavy thrust reversers.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-D_M7mJdJ8

Parked at the gate beside a KLM B773ER. Due to the delayed arrival, there were no more public transport and I had to incur a hefty cab fare plus midnight surcharges!! Not good!!

Other than the long delay, the Jetstar flight was fine for a short sector.

Next up, another Jetstar flight in 2 wks time to Auckland. First long-haul experience on a budget airline! Comments on the report are much welcomed.

My Travel Map

Comment

Opps, I was on the same flight as you, 3K688. I do receive tat wrong msg, luckily I went to check the flight status at an Apple Store w free internet access

Hmm, maybe I should raise a claim as well.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                          Opps, I was on the same flight as you, 3K688. I do receive tat wrong msg, luckily I went to check the flight status at an Apple Store w free internet access

Hmm, maybe I should raise a claim as well.
                          Haha, were u caught in any of my fotos?

My Travel Map

Comment

Latest update, one of Jetstar's Singapore manager called me today and offered his apologies as well as the "customer guarantee" voucher. Apparently someone in the company read my same trip report in either airliners.net or flyertalk. Good service recovery here.

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                              Haha, were u caught in any of my fotos?
                              haha, maybe a small portion of my head? My travel partner and I were seated on the left side of Row 19.

I visited the Plaza Premium Lounge as well, but we were not being captured

Comment

Working...
                              X