BA Club Europe: LHR-FCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA Club Europe: LHR-FCO

Terminal 5: Heathrow's Flagship Terminal, for good reason too!

Most travellers avoid Heathrow like a smelly sock, or an ugly baby. But Terminal 5 is the most bearable of the 5 LHR terminals, it is the terminal that is exclusive to British Airways and is located a good way away from the rest of the terminals. As you walk in, you're amazed and surprised by the high ceilings, the HUGE number of check-in desks, self check-in machines and so on.

1st Complaint: Club and First Check-in are at the very very very end of the terminal. It makes no sense if you're coming up from the Heathrow Express.

2nd Complaint: The self check in boarding pass looks like it is made from old school fax machine paper. Floppy and embarrassing.

3rd Complaint: Service from BA's ground staff is inconsistent, there is no way around it. Initially I thought it was confined to the immigration staff, then I realised this is the case with the check-in counter personnel too. The lady serving the customers before me was polite and patient, she left and was replaced by this girl who seemed to think I was an inconvenience to her, and failed to put the Priority Bag tag on without me reminding her.

All that jazz done, I breezed through security *Fast Track is a god send. The queues look monstrous otherwise* And popped out on the other side to see Gordon Ramsey's Plane Food on my left. I'd made a reservation there ahead of time and hustled over to have a most luxurious lunch, which came out to 50 pounds with drink. *Definitely an indulgence*

I then proceeded to check out the Lounge. I did not really have time to look into Galleries North, but made my way to Galleries South. Club customers get to go to the top floor, and as you walk in, the first thing that hits you is how airy the lounge is... but for the sheer mass of people milling around. It's a bit of a shambles, but only a bit, because the food is constantly replaced and there's a lot of it, there're drinks, there're cafe bars, and a bartender at the extreme right hand side of the lounge should you desire. My distinct impression was that there were enough seats for everyone. You just won't have much sense of personal space even if that is the case. There's internet access, and photocopying/printing services available and one does get the definite idea that this flagship lounge is truly a flagship in every sense of the word. If only the people would get out of the way.

As my flight was called, I headed down, and it is clear that however packed the lounge was, the waiting area was worse. My flight was quite full and people were milling around waiting for the plane, and boarding was thankfully not a complete melee. As I settled into my seat, it became quite clear that this was going to be a nice flight. There's enough space, and slightly more leg room. BA provides FT and The Independent for free as one boards, and they provide good company for a short flight like this.
    Last edited by coffeeblack; 18 July 2011, 06:48 AM.

The Flight

The flight itself was good, but pushback was late as was take off. Arrival was about 30+ minutes late as a result but the pilot kept everyone appraised when we were on the ground. The timing of my flight meant that the meal served would be Afternoon Tea.

Once the plane levelled off, the crew spang into action. It all began with a drinks service, and I had a quarter bottle of Pommery Champagne. A well balanced and quite lovely bottle of Fizz. This was followed by the Tea itself, which consisted of two finger sandwiches *tiny*, a dessert, *carrot cake* and a scone. The scone was the highlight of the meal, light, warm and perfectly flavoured. This was rounded up with a choice of tea or coffee and a proffering of another scone. That was a pretty good light meal. Could've been a bit bigger but given my big meals before hand I wasn't complaining.

Comment

Nice report. You got the infamous afternoon tea in Club Europe. Breakfast, lunch and dinner meals are much more substantial.

The reason why the Club and First desks are at the far Southern end of the terminal is that this is where the Fast Track security line is, and where the large Southern Galleries complex of lounges is (Concorde Room, Galleries First and Galleries Club). Also, the far end of the drop off ramp is where valet parking is - I suppose BA assume many premium pax arrive by car/taxi etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Genius1 View Post
        Nice report. You got the infamous afternoon tea in Club Europe. Breakfast, lunch and dinner meals are much more substantial.

The reason why the Club and First desks are at the far Southern end of the terminal is that this is where the Fast Track security line is, and where the large Southern Galleries complex of lounges is (Concorde Room, Galleries First and Galleries Club). Also, the far end of the drop off ramp is where valet parking is - I suppose BA assume many premium pax arrive by car/taxi etc.
        Indeed, I have done my return flight already on a 757 *Ergh* and will probably do a report at some point soon.

The way you put it makes perfect sense to me, it's just an initial reaction kinda thing that would cause difficulty for a first time user like me. But one lives and learns.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeeblack View Post
          Indeed, I have done my return flight already on a 757 *Ergh*
          Was your return on BA too? If so, it most certainly wasn't a 757 as BA retired their 757 fleet in October 2010. 767s often go down to FCO though, and they are indeed horrid. BA are refurbishing their 767s shortly.

Comment

The reason why the Club and First desks are at the far Southern end of the terminal is that this is where the Fast Track security line is, and where the large Southern Galleries complex of lounges is (Concorde Room, Galleries First and Galleries Club).
            There is Fast Track on the North side as well (Discovered this, fortunately, being a newbie BA Silver who's only been to T5 once before...).

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              There is Fast Track on the North side as well (Discovered this, fortunately, being a newbie BA Silver who's only been to T5 once before...).
              Indeed there is, but as all connecting pax come up to North Security, it's usually not very fast at all

Comment

767s often go down to FCO though, and they are indeed horrid. BA are refurbishing their 767s shortly.
                Many apologies. Yes 767.

And not a moment too soon. The steward was apologetic and told me that they will be refreshing them sometimes in November. *I PROMISE I'll do my return sometime early August...*

Comment

Working...
                X