Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapas Molecular Bar @ Mandarin Oriental

Introduction

The last of the restaurants we booked from Singapore.

Fine dining is not just about the food but the spectacle of the presentation

We sat by the counter in all the restaurants & Tapas Molecular Bar put on the most spectacular show.

2 seatings per night: 1830h & 2030h. Max 8 PAXs per seating. Only counter seating.

We had an interesting time chatting to the Australian family of 4 sitting next to us. They live in Tokyo.

Other side of us was a Japanese couple

Snacks

Aperitif: hot & cold spiced wine. Not layered like other places. Side by side.

38° Salmon: salmon cooked at 38° & Pork skin: caramelized maple syrup & Chinese 5 spices

Tai Chazuke: Tai ( snapper ) left side, tea right side

Bacalao Espuma: salted cod on top, red pepper below

Garden Caviar: pellets of egg plant & carrots

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 8 March 2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Degustation

Scallop with Cultivated Pearl: scallop sandwiched by papaya & pearl powder-skinned yoghurt

Spider Crab & Jamon: foam of aged Chardonnay ( vinegar! ) on top of Alaskan King Crab wrapped in translucent jamon & grapefruit with jelly

Black Truffle, Lily Bulb: floating in lily bulb cream & truffle foam

Secreta de Iberico: smoked jamon

It's delicious because it is special cut of leg

Foie Gras, Coffee, Potato

Xiaolongbao: Lamb with the juice inside

Wagyu: deconstructed borsch soup. A4 Wagyu, beetroot sauce, dried shallots

Miso Soup: deconstructed too

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 8 March 2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Desserts & Petit Fours

Puff: Meringue dipped in liquid Nitrogen and eaten whole!

Snow: Persimmon Tree & Mousse

After sprinkling of snow ( icing sugar )

Truffles Chocolate

Mont Blanc

Fruits: sour fruits taste sweet after sucking on "magic fruit" from Guyana ( top right )

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 8 March 2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Thoughts About Tapas Molecular Bar

Looking at the pictures I took, you may be forgiven for thinking that dinner was unremarkable

However, the pictures fail to convey the entire experience.

The wonderful views from the bar before dinner of the skyline around Tokyo Station..

That's the same elevated highway as seen from my bedroom at Shangri La

..a highly personalized dinner

With only 8 PAXs per seating, Jeff Ramsey has time to talk to us while preparing the food in front of us.

So we got to know his life story, his favourite restaurants in TYO and other places, the philosophy of his cooking style..

He designed their kitchen uniform himself, inspired by Harley Davidson.

The reason I don't have many pictures of him preparing the food is that with so many courses to be served within two hours,

everything moved like lightning & most of my food prep shots are a blur.

But this is how Garden Caviar was made...

The syringes containing vegetable solutions are dripped into calcium chloride,

causing them to instantly precipitate into spheres

If only Chemistry were this interesting when I was a kid!
          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 17 March 2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

The Journey Home

Shangri La is a much longer walk to the N'Ex platform compared to the walk from Swissotel Nankai to the Rap:t in Osaka.

However, the concierge helped us with our luggage to the platform. Again tip was declined.

I think this is the correct way. When you work in the service industry, shouldn't service be included?

Platform 4 of Tokyo Station

We had reserve seats in Car 5.

But where's our carriage? Train starts further up the platform..

They joined 2 trains in front of us!

IRE ( In Rail Entertainment )

On time today. Last trip the plane arrived late from LAX

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 10 March 2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

After check in, I went to look for my ride home at the seating area of departure hall..

There she is. I think. Could've been SQ12 to LAX

I caught this sign as I took the escalator from security check to immigration

ANA Lounge

I dislike the ANA Lounge we have to wait in Satellite 4. Always crowded and no windows.

What a contrast to the one in Satellite 5 where you get lovely tarmac views.

Limited food choices in both though. Didn't take pictures. Seems like every seat was taken

Isn't she a beaut?

The Menu

Prelude

Satay
              with onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Starter

Smoked salmon with nicoise salad served with choice of citrus vinaigrette or ranch dressing

Main

Pan fried beef fillet with madiera wine sauce, stewed prunes, vegetables and fondant potato

Singapore style chicken curry served with steamed rice

Japanese style spaghetti napolitan with pork sausage and vegetables, breaded prawns

Finale

Strawberry ice cream with berry compote ( less one mouthful! )

Gourmet cheese with garnishes

A selection of fresh fruit

Gourmet coffees & selection of fine teas, with pralines

So finally finished! Don't know who's more relieved. You or me!!!!
              Last edited by 9V-SIA; 10 March 2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Well done as always, 9V-SIA. Enjoyed reading your TR, hunger pangs and all.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thank you for another excellent TR, 9V-SIA! I knew about the Molecular Tapas Bar but hadn't seen pictures before.

When you say "so many courses to be served within two hours", do you mean that you had to be finished and out within that time ? I find that these sort of places take me around 3-4 hours going at a leisurely pace.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  The solution into which the vegetable solutions are dropped into is calcium chloride, causing them to instantly precipitate into spheres
                  [...]
                  If only Chemistry were this interesting when I was a kid!
                  Wow! This brings back memories of when I was a kid. My school A level human bio project (almost 25 years ago now) consisted of making little spheres like this - one solution (containing yeast) from a burette dripped into a beaker of another solution. I then filled a tube with the spheres and pumped a sugar solution through it at different flow rates / temperatures to get different amounts of alcohol out the other end!

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  However, the concierge helped us with our luggage to the platform. Again tip was declined.
                  I simply never even try to tip anyone for anything in Japan. It's always declined and it possibly saves them and me embarassment when they do decline. The absolute lack of tipping is one of the (many) joys of Japan!

Comment

Ab Fab TR 9V-SIA. So much details

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      Well done as always, 9V-SIA. Enjoyed reading your TR, hunger pangs and all.
                      Thanks. I have put on a lot of weight this year!

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Thank you for another excellent TR, 9V-SIA!
                      Thanks.

When you say "so many courses to be served within two hours", do you mean that you had to be finished and out within that time ? I find that these sort of places take me around 3-4 hours going at a leisurely pace.
                      2 seatings at 630pm and 830pm. We went to the 630pm seating and had to finish by 830pm. Can adjourn to the bar...

Wow! This brings back memories of when I was a kid. My school A level human bio project (almost 25 years ago now) consisted of making little spheres like this - one solution (containing yeast) from a burette dripped into a beaker of another solution. I then filled a tube with the spheres and pumped a sugar solution through it at different flow rates / temperatures to get different amounts of alcohol out the other end!
                      I remember grapes dipped in liquid nitrogen but not this one!

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      Ab Fab TR 9V-SIA. So much details
                      Thanks. The details help me remember my holidays!

Comment

I was just thinking, should this TR be re-named to: The definitive guide to Top Tokyo stays and eats?

It IS to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                          I was just thinking, should this TR be re-named to: The definitive guide to Top Tokyo stays and eats?

It IS to me.
                          +1 It's all you, 9V-SIA. But it might be a nice starting point for others to add to it...thus becoming an excellent guide. Entirely your call, though.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Thanks for the detailed TR, 9V-SIA! Love the photos of the delicious foods and the advanced bathrooms. Guess I would have to add Tokyo to my list of places to visit. Looks awesome!

Also, thanks for mentioning that you enjoy my TRs. I will make an effort to write another one in the next few months after my April trip!

Comment

Most impressive!

Comment

"A dedication to Tokyo stays and eats" sounds more appropriate than "A dedication to the B747" But I do appreciate the latter

Comment

Working...
                                X