X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StarG has found his ride!
    HUGE AL

Comment

Back to Roppongi Hills for dinner at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, one of his 3 restaurants in TYO.

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon

You may wonder why we ate twice in the Roppongi area. We were originally booked to stay at GH.

We were very full so chose the smallest menu

Amuse Bouche

Soup

Wife's Main

My Main

Dessert

It was worth the subway ride from Ginza to eat here, the 2/4 restaurants booked by the concierge

Will caption if I can translate the menu into English. It's in French!
      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 28 February 2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Happy Hour At Peter's

Peter's is the restaurant / bar at the top of Peninsula.

We came here on our last night before a vegetarian meal which was our 3/4 concierge booked meal.

The most disappointing. But then I'm a meat eater!!

Sorry about the reflections. Very hastily taken snaps

As you enter Peter's, bar on left & restaurant straight ahead

Looking back at the lift lobby

Looking towards the restaurant

View from Peter's ( the bar ). Same facing as our room only higher.

Illuminated tip of Tokyo Tower can just be made out ( in red )

Peter's ( the restaurant )

The Imperial Palace Garden from Peter's ( the restaurant )

At the height of the property bubble ( Nikkei 35,000 ), that piece of real estate was worth more than... California!

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 2 March 2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

That Vegetarian Restaurant

Vegetable wholesaler in Tsukijii market decided to expand and opened Nagamine.

We decided to give it a try.

On the the left a short walk past Mitsukoshi along Harumi Dori.

The vegetables at the front warn you what to expect

Counter seating ( as with all the restaurants we booked before our arrival )

There's not much in the way of theatre when cooking vegetables.

We were left in the company of this apprentice slicing & dicing vegetables in front of us

Our food came from a kitchen in the back somewhere

This is how you should slice a lemon!! Shear poetry to watch him work

Sesame tofu, wasabi & soya sauce................Marinated spinach & vinegared red onion

Plum rice-flour dumpling in daikon radish potage soup

Arrowhead bulb, stick broccoli, sweet red pepper, small onion, unfiltered soya sauce

Miso-simmered ebimo taro, devil's tongue & carrot

Grilled pumpkin & white maritake mushroom & soy bean milk cream

Assorted vegetable sushi, pickles & clear soup

Dessert of the day

Their webpage..

Nagamine

We're on to our final lap. Shangri La, Tokyo Station & our last booked restaurant.
          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 28 February 2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Those restaurant names are too fancy for a guy like me nice pics btw

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
              Those restaurant names are too fancy for a guy like me nice pics btw
              I am working very, very hard to pay for this trip now. Easy credit is not that easy

The next post is dedicated to you.

But you'll have to watch "Seinfeld" Season 7 Episode 6 entitled "Soup Nazi" first to appreciate the humour.

Comment

Rokurinsha in Tokyo Station

This post is dedicated to SilverChris

The Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld is about the indignities Jerry & his friends are willing to suffer for a taste of the soup.

I was thinking of that episode as I stood in line waiting to try this place

The queue starts 30 minutes before the shop opens

T-15, shutter opens..

Queue on other side of corridor..

I get to peer into the restaurant

Cross that line before you're called and "NO RAMEN FOR YOU!"

He's watching....

Finally we're in! No looking up when you eat your ramen.

Choose quick or NEXT!!

Biggest & chewiest ramen I have ever eaten..

..dipped in this stock. Remember to slurp..

In Singapore we would say "Die Die Must Try". In Japan I say "Try Or Harakiri"

What the foodies have to say about the main branch

http://exilekiss.blogspot.com/2008/0...-review-w.html

This was written in jest. The staff was gracious & friendly as you would expect in Japan
                Last edited by 9V-SIA; 2 March 2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

The ramen looks like udon! I wonder how the Japanese differentiate between thick ramen vs. udon.

Comment

wow looks yummy. Will have to drop and try when I'm there next month.

Comment

A couple of interesting facts about Rokurinsha
                      • The main store is at Shinagawa. This is only branch in Tokyo
                      • Style is Tsukemen ( ramen separated from broth, not mixed together )
                      • Ramen is thickest I've ever eaten

It's found in First Avenue Mall under Tokyo Station Yaesu Exit.

Beef Tongue Grill was the other restaurant we enjoyed in Tokyo Station by Nihonbashi Exit.

The set meal consists seasonal vegetables & ox tail soup plus..

.. beef tongue, either salted or with sauce, broiled over charcoal fire..

.. and rice mixed with barley

Kisuke Sorry in Japanese only

For dessert, we head to Daimaru next door for dessert in branch of famous Kyoto dessert restaurant.

Or we buy dessert from Daimaru Supermarket

Quite a view while enjoying our dessert. Modern building on left is Merrill Lynch at Nihonbashi

You can't pay me enough to do his job!

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 5 March 2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Tokyo Station

Introduction

Tokyo Station is not an easy station to navigate.

Apart from being huge and extremely crowded, it seems to be undergoing major renovations so the maps that you find in the station are not as helpful as in other stations.

Much of the station is also a ticketed zone inaccessible unless you are travelling.

Orientation

This map is lying on its side so that north points to the right.

The Imperial Palace lies to the west ( top of pic ), Peninsula where I stayed to the south ( bottom of pic ).

So Main Entrances are 3 to the East ( Yaesu North, Central & South ) and 3 to the West ( Marunouchi North, Central & South ).

However, from the Shangri La, we use the North Entrance ( Nihombashi )

First Avenue Tokyo Station runs underneath Yaesu Entrances & are full of interesting shops & restaurants.

The ramen place is found here in Tokyo Ramen Street. Easily reached from Nihombashi Entrance.

For those of you interested in Japanese manga characters there is a Japanese Character Street too

Shangri La is at the north eastern corner of the station together with Daimaru.

Four Seasons Marunouchi is at the south eastern corner ( the only 3D building on map )

View of the Nihombashi Entrance. Trust Tower North on left

Shangri La is hidden behind Trust Tower North.

From foreground, Trust Tower North > Trust Tower Main > GranTokyo North.

Hard to tell them apart because they look so similar. Boring architecture!

Shangri La has no frontage at all!

Made worst by the fact that there is a small lift lobby to carry you up the the Main Lobby on 28th floor

Trust Tower Main. Shangri La's Lift Lobby is to the left

The driveway to the hotel is in the basement.

Things get better from here....
                        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 6 March 2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks a ton for the dedication! You make me hungry for Japanese

Comment

Shangri La

Public Areas

Step out the lift on the 28th floor and this sight greets you.

Seating for hotel guests. We didn't sit there because we felt underdressed.

Despite our appearance, the staff were always warm & friendly. Best of the 3 hotels we stayed this trip

The U shaped corridor wraps around the Reception Desk...

... to the lifts. We were on the 36th Floor. 37th was the top ( Club ) floor

The Bar in front of Reception. It shares the same view as my room

Sitting room behind bar

Our floor is where the Presidential Suite is. But we were in the smallest room I think!

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 10 March 2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Shangri La

My Room

It may be the smallest room on the floor but small is a relative term.

Unlike most hotel rooms, the bathroom is not across from the cupboard as you enter the room

Access to the bathroom is from the room. Double doors ensure the room is as quiet as Peninsula

The "Dry" bathroom. Toilet..

.. and sink

The "Wet" bathroom. The biggest rain shower I have ever used..

.. and the finest view from a bathtub!

All the stationary you would expect to find is there. What caught my eye was this comprehensive "extra"..

..and all the cables you could possibly need

Our room overlooks Nihombashi Entrance to Tokyo Station. The Helipad is on the roof of Trust Tower North

In the distance, Mandarin Oriental in Nihonbashi. Our last booked dinner is there

MO is in Nihonbashi. Nihon=Japan & Bashi=Bridge. So where's the river?

The elevated highway is built over the river! Railway lines running north from Tokyo Station

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 6 March 2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Around Tokyo Station

From the south east corner looking north is GranTokyo South & North Tower.

GranTokyo North blocking Shangri La. MO seen up the street in the distance

Daimaru in front of GranTokyo north

In the foreground ( blue windows ) is where Four Seasons Marunouchi is found

Extensive renovations in front of Yaesu Entrances to Tokyo Station at the moment

but this is what it'll look like when complete

That low rise red brick building is across the railway lines at the Marunouchi Entrance

From the West

Same goes for Marunouchi Entrances.. building works. The red bricked Tokyo Station ( partially in shadows ) is all covered up.

In the background behind the crane are, from short to tall, Marunochi Trust Tower North, MTT Main ( where Shangri La is ) & GranTokyo North Tower

This is a view of Marunouchi side of Tokyo Station from the Daimaru elevator ( on our way up to have our dessert! )

In the foreground is red bricked Tokyo Station all covered up. In the background is the Imperial Palace Gardens

Architecturally very boring buildings. They all look the same!

But historically, Marunouchi very interesting part of Tokyo

It's been called the Rodeo Drive of Tokyo but in the old days..

For those of you interested.. a useful map to orientate yourself

Marunouchi

From South West Corner

Behind railway lines, Four Seasons Marunouchi ( blue glass ) and GranTokyo South in foreground, GranTokyo North & MTT Main ( Shangri La ) in background

A block behind me when I took this picture is Marunouchi Brick Square, the most architecturally interesting building in this area.

Note: Blue glass building is where FS is

Marunouchi Brick Square

Across a garden courtyard..

.. modern..

.. meets "old"

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 6 March 2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X