We love the Swiss DO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    A place that has hearty Züri gschnätzeltes & raclette or fondue is what I'm now looking for

Might have to ask someone from Zurich...
    With three and a half weeks to go, any news ?

Is your reservation at the Hilton airport code non-cancellable or must you stay at a Hilton ? IMVHO, it does seem a bit silly to stay at the airport for a 1pm flight!

There's a train from Zurich central station every 5-10 minutes and the journey takes 15 minutes (as per the extract I posted above). The train goes directly to the airport (the basement). You're flying F I believe so no worries about check-in. You could leave your hotel in the centre of Zurich after a hearty breakfast at around 11am and be in time for your 1pm flight (or earlier if you want to look at the lounges etc).

Apart from the new(ish) F lounge (which I haven't been to), there really is nothing special about the other LX lounges (there's a very long bar IIRC) and the LH run *A lounge. There's an airport train which goes Moo! and that's about it.

Comment

I haven't done any bookings at any fancy restaurants yet, as I was intending to get in touch with someone local there to recommend a local place, not the 3-Michelin star kind of place like what you're used to, jhm!

And yes, the hotel's booked under the Hilton 50% Jan sale and has already been charged. Not a problem, if things are that easy, I can still go into town for breakfast and then head back to the airport hotel in good time.

Comment

I haven't done any bookings at any fancy restaurants yet, as I was intending to get in touch with someone local there to recommend a local place, not the 3-Michelin star kind of place like what you're used to, jhm!
        Hey, I'm not the one - unlike some - who goes for a rather expensive afternoon tea at the Burj and a helicopter ride!

I don't mind local/cheap food provided that it's good to eat, e.g. a 4 Euro pizza in Naples or a 4 US dollar burger in New York.

Are you thinking of skipping lunch (or grabbing something from anywhere whilst on the move) ?

Comment

Dear me, skip lunch? Surely you jest...

Don't worry - we'll find some way to survive in Zurich, I'm sure...

I recall a certain post somewhere about going to New York for 19 hours... and then going back again. Oh wait, or was that Bali...

Comment

I recall a certain post somewhere about going to New York for 19 hours... and then going back again. Oh wait, or was that Bali...
            And in New York, I had the abovementioned burger (plus a few side dishes... )

Bali was a slightly longer trip - I left London on Wednesday night, Thursday night in SIN, Friday and Saturday nights in DPS and I was back at work for Monday morning.

Dear me, skip lunch? Surely you jest...
            I'm glad we understand each other!

Comment

Just looking at the latest ZRH temperature on Google (-4 deg Celcius), I'm starting to think a European sojourn in February for future reference is off the cards...

MUC (-3 deg) ain't quite as cold but it ain't much hotter either!
              NRT (4 deg) isn't looking too encouraging

BCN (8 deg) seems to be the hottest place on the agenda... we ain't ordering a room service burger now, y'hear...

Comment

Kyo, I have just received the info from my supplier in Switzerland (advised by a "typical Zurichoise") so as promised here is the list:

http://le-dezaley.ch/ - Swiss Cheese Fondue and other meet fondues in historic Zurich
                www.weisserwind.ch - typical Swiss Food also in historic Zurich
                www.geeren.ch - very typical, simple, but very fine Swiss food in authentic restaurant but a little outside Zurich in a forest - by taxi

I am sorry I won't be able to join having to be in SIN on those days. I do expect a yummy TR .

Comment

Thank you, my friend - you've come through brilliantly!

jhm, your choice, please?

I'm thinking Le Dezaley for lunch, Geeren for dinner?

Comment

Thanks, Ikarus2006! It's a shame you won't be able to join us.

jhm, your choice, please?

I'm thinking Le Dezaley for lunch, Geeren for dinner?
                    Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    Seriously, you [ Kyo ] know as much (or little) about Swiss/ZRH food as I do. I can do lunch and dinner. phaleesy can do dinner only. None of us want to eat anything other than Swiss in ZRH so, for example, no Indian! You can decide and book!
                    So what you suggest sounds good to me.

Geeren seems to be in a village called Gockhausen which according to this is near a suburb of Zurich called Dübendorf.

Dübendorf is served by both rail and bus links with the Zurich center (10 min), Winterthur (via Stettbach, 20 min) and other places in the canton of Zurich. Dübendorf train station is a stop of the Zürich S-Bahn on the lines S9 and S14. Its train station is a 13 minute (S9) ride from Zürich Hauptbahnhof. Stettbach is a stop of the S-Bahn Zürich on the lines S3, S9 and S12.
                    So depending if we have time, it may be cheaper to take a train+taxi rather than a taxi alone.

Comment

Interesting research, jhm! Let's just decide how to get there depending on where we will be before dinner... we'll just 'wing' it

I'm getting excited!

Comment

Let's just decide how to get there depending on where we will be before dinner... we'll just 'wing' it
                        Of course.

I wonder if we will have time to hit Le Dezaley for a spot of lunch, then Sprüngli for a few Luxemburgerli to keep us going until dinner and finally, Geeren for a slap-up dinner ?

Not forgetting of course a proper Swiss breakfast before we wave you off at the train station!

Comment

I wonder if rosti can be had for breakfast... or maybe brekkie at the LX F lounge?

Comment

I wonder if rosti can be had for breakfast...
                            You're in luck! According to Wikipedia and appropriately for you , you eat not only rosti for breakfast but also sausages!

Grilling cervelats over an open fire, with the ends cut open so that they expand like a butterfly's wings, is a childhood memory for nearly every Swiss person, and as a result, many Swiss are emotionally attached to the sausage.

Comment

...and as a result, many Swiss are emotionally attached to the sausage.
                              Cheeky!

It's not just the Swiss either!

Rosti, Cervelat + Leberkäse = sounds like a winning Swiss breakfast to me! Enough to last me til approx 1400 local time when presumably lunch would be served on LX!

Comment

Not forgetting of course a proper Swiss breakfast before we wave you off at the train station!
                                I wonder if rosti can be had for breakfast... or maybe brekkie at the LX F lounge?
                                There's a Marche in the main train station that serves Rosti and sausage

Comment

Working...
                                X