No announcement yet.

We love the Swiss DO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We left booking our flights too late. The options for the return flights on both BA and LX are very expensive!

I'm booked -
    Outbound flight: London (London Heathrow) - Zurich
    Sat. 20.02.2010 13:50 LHR - 16:35 ZRH LX 333

Return flight: Zurich - London (London Heathrow)
    Sun. 21.02.2010 18:15 ZRH - 19:10 LHR LX 338

The Y return segment was more expensive than the J flexi, very strange pricing LX has. But it's still a lot cheaper than BA Y.

Sorry for arriving so late but I don't think I would be able to make the connection for the earlier flight. I'd be able to meet up directly on arrival at the airport if I'm hand luggage only. I'd check into the PH if it's centrally located. If not, I can do a late check-in after dinner.

I think we should have Swiss when we're in Switzerland.

Comment

hahah, wobbly pannacotta indeed...

I was hoping for raclette actually! And whatever else is good local food - I'm happy to give that cool-looking restaurant a try, if you think it's worth calling ahead to reserve. I gather it's more a dinner thing? Or shall we pop in there for a slightly late lunch.

I'm going to consider non-chain hotels in ZRH to 'immerse' myself in the local experience (just an annoying habit of mind when I'm in a new country/city). Will try to find something close by to the Sihlcity... let me get back to you on that

Comment

You guys can have two meals together. I can only meet you for dinner and perhaps an early breakfast.

Comment

If your ticket is flexible and you can make the earlier LX317, do try to switch

Comment

Sorry kyo+, I would not be able to make the 0850 flight. BA would most likely arrive into LHR late. I would have to collect my luggage, then go to a different terminal, check-in, etc.

The flexible segment is the return, just in case I meet my nice handsome Swiss and I decide I'm not going back to London to work the next morning.

But I would try to join you guys ASAP. So I'd try to meet up once I leave the airport. I don't think I'd fluff around with check-in at the hotel. Would do that after dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              I was hoping for raclette actually! And whatever else is good local food - I'm happy to give that cool-looking restaurant a try, if you think it's worth calling ahead to reserve. I gather it's more a dinner thing? Or shall we pop in there for a slightly late lunch.
              I think reservations are essential. These places are not large. It will be Saturday!

The restaurant I tried before says on their English website that their kitchen opens from 11:30am until 2pm and 6pm until 10pm. I'd imagine the lunch hours are pretty standard for all of them.

We arrive just before midday. In order to get to a restaurant in time for lunch - around 1pm I think - we'd have to take a taxi straight there with our luggage. A few years ago, it cost around £20-25 to get to the restaurant I mentioned from the airport.

Having arranged dinner in London a few months ago (which I myself couldn't turn up to!), I think it's your turn, Kyo!

Seriously, you know as much (or little) about Swiss/ZRH food as I do. I can do lunch and dinner. phaleesy can do dinner only. None of us want to eat anything other than Swiss in ZRH so, for example, no Indian! You can decide and book!

Comment

OK I'll do some research and book us into the most local place I can find... as long as the food is good, don't mind so much about the atmosphere..

I hope the people in ZRH aren't gruff and stuffy...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  I hope the people in ZRH aren't gruff and stuffy...
                  They seemed perfectly friendly to me. I once had lunch in Basel with some bankers and they were turning their noses up at their cousins in Zurich (all flashy and brash apparently!).

We should pay a visit to Confiserie Sprüngli (it's like the Demel of Zurich; no relation to Lindt & Sprüngli) to buy some of their famous Luxemburgerli.

Confiserie Sprüngli, AG has 18 shops, including shops at the Zurich International Airport and train stations. [...]

Confiserie Sprüngli, AG is open Monday - Friday from 7:30 am - 6:30 pm, Saturday from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, and closed on Sunday.
                  Unfortunately, the Luxemburgerli only last for a few days and must be refrigerated so for brownie points, I'm not sure whether they'd survive your itinerary, Kyo!

Comment

I am stunned. That place looks like the Demel in many ways...

Maybe we should bring that Vienna boy along, what's his name...

Comment

kyo+, since you've got such a short time in ZRH and bearing in mind it's still winter, you would have very few daylight hours to take in the sights. I would suggest that you do a quick check-in and lunch (skip lunch? ) and do your sightseeing first. I'm sorry I can't follow you around on your quest.

By the time I arrive, it would be dark and you should be ready for tea and cakes. I can't think of what we could do between tea time and dinner. I don't know how you feel about going up to Mt Uetliberg to see the night-lights, then coming back down to the town for a late dinner. Or if you would prefer to do this during the day? You also have the option of the river and lake cruise to do during the day as well.

I would suggest that you do your town walkabout in the early morning before your flight. I woke up really early to do that the last time and there was hardly anyone around. Have to check what time sunrise is.

Since we're both there for less than 24 hours, I think we should get the 24 hour ZRHcard which includes free public transport (including to/from airport). jhm might need one too, in addition to a separate single to/from the airport. The ZRHcard would include your boat ride I think. I won't be in time for this but you two could go if the boats are running in winter?

ZRHcard info - http://www.zuerich.com/en/page.cfm/zurich/zuerichcard_x

ZRH daypass prices for comparison -http://www.zvv.ch/en/tickets/tickets-and-prices/daypass-single.html

Transport zones division - http://www.zvv.ch/export/sites/defau...ifzonen_09.pdf

The restaurant jhm suggested sounds fine for dinner. There are quite a few things on the menu I could eat.

Comment

From a thread on TOF:

I'd take the SBB to Zurich Central. The airport train station is in the basement of the terminal - and easy to find. Best bet is to queue for a ticket - if you're not comfortable using the automated machines [and yes, all of us have paid more for tickets than we needed to because we didn't know what we were doing.] The trains leave every five-10 minutes and get you to HB/Central Station in about 15 mins.
                        As far as skipping lunch or not goes, I think it depends if Kyo wants to eat raclette. If yes, we can go to the restaurant with luggage (given that we arrive at midday and it'll take about an hour to get in by train and then perhaps a taxi to the restaurant); and then perhaps drop off the luggage later at whoever's hotel is most convenient!

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                        The restaurant jhm suggested sounds fine for dinner. There are quite a few things on the menu I could eat.
                        The kitchen is open for dinner from 6-10pm (with the restaurant open until midnight). We could do (say) 7 or 8pm. So who - phaleesy or Kyo - is going to book ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          The kitchen is open for dinner from 6-10pm (with the restaurant open until midnight). We could do (say) 7 or 8pm. So who - phaleesy or Kyo - is going to book ?
                          We could turn up at 9-930pm and still place our order. It depends on what kyo+ wants to do between tea and dinner.

Comment

We could turn up at 9-930pm and still place our order.
                            You'd have to skip dessert then ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              You'd have to skip dessert then ... ?
                              How silly! Place the dessert order at the same time as the mains! Why do I have to deal with nuts outside work too?!

Comment

How silly! Place the dessert order at the same time as the mains! Why do I have to deal with nuts outside work too?!
                                The kitchen may well refuse since they would be shut when dessert needs to be made/prepared/presented.

Comment

Working...
                                X