Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
    Smooth operator Mr taipeiflyer in action he he
    You'd see him live, in person, if you'd commit to the VIE Do. C'mon, how can you resist that opportunity?

'Smooth operator': I hear Sade when I see that expression. Likely taipeiflyer was too young to remember that.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      You'd see him live, in person, if you'd commit to the VIE Do. C'mon, how can you resist that opportunity?
      Indeed jjpb3,...sorry I've been quiet on that particular front At the moment, all spare nickbot family funds (not forgetting additional financial support from the kind people at MBNA) are diverted into our upcoming big trip, so can't commit at this stage

That said, if I could witness the master in action, maybe I could pick up a few tips

EDIT
      Originally posted by jjpb3
      ...I hear Sade when I see that expression...
      I was thinking the exact same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
        i would recommend grad school to anyone simply for the number of dates you will get as a result. typical nearby campus bar conversation:

girl: are you a student here?
        me: yea, i'm completing a jd/mba.
        girl: OH MY GOD!!! I want to go to law school sooooooo bad!!!!! Can you tell me what you got on your lsat and what your gpa was?
        me: why don't we go out to dinner and i'll tell you all about it.
        girl: really? you'd do that for me???
        me: it would be my pleasure.
        Hmmm... As an undergrad (BA) and postgrad (LLM) lawyer here in the UK:

A: what are you reading / studying ?

Me: law / the LLM

A: OH MY GOD!!! I thought you study [ name of your favourite geeky subject deleted to avoid offence ]

Me:

the great thing about doing an LLM is that you get to focus exclusively on your legal concentration, as opposed to JD's, who go through a mandatory first year curriculum of con law, property, torts, lawyering skills (legal research and writing), civ pro, criminal law and contracts. if you want to practice corporate law, most of those first-year classes have no bearing
        Indeed! 25% of the entire first year of my undergrad law degree consisted of Roman law which was compulsory. Happy hours in lectures on the works of Gaius, Justinian and others (from around the 2nd century or earlier). Exam questions involving, for example, the extent to which a master can beat or otherwise punish his slave (not much use for everyday life except... ) and the theft of apples from orchards.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Hear, hear!

You know you want to nickbot....

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Indeed! 25% of the entire first year of my undergrad law degree consisted of Roman law which was compulsory.
          We had something similar called 'History and Philosophy of Law' which took up half of my first year law curriculum (the other subject was Torts, only had 2 LLB subjects as the BA component of my course took up the other 50% of my first year course plan) . Was like a glorified history/poli sci subject which was a mix of legal history, basic legal theory and international law, though we didn't go that far back to Roman times. I remember spending a fair bit of time debating about whether Australia is legally independent of the UK the first semester. The second semester was devoted to various critiques of law, why it's all wrong etc etc.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 21 April 2008, 06:22 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Indeed jjpb3,...sorry I've been quiet on that particular front At the moment, all spare nickbot family funds (not forgetting additional financial support from the kind people at MBNA) are diverted into our upcoming big trip, so can't commit at this stage

That said, if I could witness the master in action, maybe I could pick up a few tips

EDIT

I was thinking the exact same thing!
            you guys have me in stitches. i am anything but a smooth operator. i am at my most clumsy when i try to be my most debonaire. but i do want to say that i kick it old school when it comes to music.... and sade is one of my all-time faves. sweetest taboo, your love is king, by your side and paradise are some of my very favorite songs. she is amazing... UK must be very proud of her.

Comment

Hmmm... As an undergrad (BA) and postgrad (LLM) lawyer here in the UK:

A: what are you reading / studying ?

Me: law / the LLM

A: OH MY GOD!!! I thought you study [ name of your favourite geeky subject deleted to avoid offence ]

Me:

lol

Indeed! 25% of the entire first year of my undergrad law degree consisted of Roman law which was compulsory. Happy hours in lectures on the works of Gaius, Justinian and others (from around the 2nd century or earlier). Exam questions involving, for example, the extent to which a master can beat or otherwise punish his slave (not much use for everyday life except... ) and the theft of apples from orchards.
              crikey, that sounds brutal! sometimes law school is simply a test of attrition... seeing if you can outlast what at times seems to be a never-ending list of courses with marginal relevance to present-day practice.

Comment

you guys have me in stitches. i am anything but a smooth operator. i am at my most clumsy when i try to be my most debonaire.
                Ahh you put yourself down taipeiflyer, I can't believe you aren't anything but a hit with those sorority girls

Comment

Ahh you put yourself down taipeiflyer, I can't believe you aren't anything but a hit with those sorority girls
                  And I'm sure you're putting yourself down, nickbot ... perhaps we should ask Mrs nickbot ?

Comment

Perhaps indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer
                      i would recommend grad school to anyone simply for the number of dates you will get as a result. typical nearby campus bar conversation:

girl: are you a student here?
                      me: yea, i'm completing a jd/mba.
                      girl: OH MY GOD!!! I want to go to law school sooooooo bad!!!!! Can you tell me what you got on your lsat and what your gpa was?
                      me: why don't we go out to dinner and i'll tell you all about it.
                      girl: really? you'd do that for me???...
                      It's always fun to watch the players being played for a free dinner.

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                      What works for UCLA also seems to work for U of M
                      Plenty of undergrads studying for their MRS...

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
                        It's always fun to watch the players being played for a free dinner.

taipeiflyer is quite the Ladies Man!
                        Last edited by HUGE AL; 22 April 2008, 11:27 AM.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Congrats Savage25!

Comment

Working...
                          X