The Whipped Cream Waltz in VIE DO! [27-28 Sept 2008]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:

Changed my flights so I'm arriving earlier by a day and in time for the Do. Now getting in on BA704 LHR-VIE on the 26th. I'm also at LHR T5 from approximately 1300 to whenever BA704 leaves (check my BA97) and will be more than happy to guest anyone into Galleries First. I will be leaving for PVG via HEL on the 29th, and then HKG on 03OCT.

Oh and RoseFPS (I don't think he's a member here so I'm posting on his behalf) has advised that he's arriving on the 27th.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 31 March 2008, 05:32 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

As this is the weekend prior to my birthday (just realised it not long ago lol ), first round of drinks* on moi for the attendees of this Do.

So come already!

*both alcoholic and non-alcoholic
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
        i'll be leaving Vienna on the 29th and heading to Amsterdam for 3-4 days and then either london or zurich afterwards if anyone wants to join or meet up for a second do. the more the merrier.
        I'll put a vote in for London taipeiflyer VIE might not be on the cards for mrs nickbot and I, but can usually manage a trip down to London.

Comment

Some info on VIE from mFT (you need to register to see the site) (to reciprocate, I've put there a link to Flo's info in this thread):

Originally posted by Steady-EDI
          quitecontrary, there’s been a lot of fun and frivolity in this thread. Nothing wrong with that, but I thought I owed it to you and to one of my favourite places to put together some proper hints and tips, so here goes :-

- The historic city centre is almost surrounded by a wide boulevard known as the Ring. (It’s actually more U-shaped or horseshoe-shaped, however.) Many of the most interesting buildings lie on or close to the Ring. A good introductory walk is to start at Schottentor U-bahn station / tram stop and head against the main traffic flow. First, though, have a look at the Votivkirche. Starting your walk, you’ll pass the University, the City Hall, the Burgtheater, the Austrian Parliament, the Hofburg complex, the Natural History Museum, the History of Art Museum, Mozart’s statue and the State Opera House. A short distance outside the Ring at this point lie St Charles’s Church (Karlskirche) and the Musikverein (where the New Year’s Day concerts are held). Back on the Ring, you can end your introductory walk at the City Park (Stadtpark), with its statue of Johann Strauss II. In summer afternoons, there are open-air concerts of his music, and you can revive yourself with Kaffee und Kuchen, or of course something stronger.

- St Stephen’s Cathedral (Stephansdom) lies in the area inside the Ring.

- Arm yourself with a pass for the excellent public transport system, valid on U-bahn, S-bahn, trams and buses. I usually get the 72hr one – note it’s 72 hours, not 3 days … it may make a difference in that your ticket may be valid longer than you think. Whatever you do, don’t forget to validate it in the Entwerter machine the first time you use it. Consider buying a transport system map at one of the larger stations.

- Especially useful are tram routes 1 and 2, which are circular routes going round the Ring in opposite directions. The circuit is completed on the bank of the Danube Canal, Franz Josef’s Kai, so the destination display is ‘Ring – Kai – Ring’.

- There are three palaces that you should try to see : Hofburg, Schönbrunn and Belvedere, probably in that order of importance.

- The Hofburg lies just inside the Ring, but the complex extends well into the central area. Be sure to see the Treasury (Schatzkammer). The Spanish Riding School (Spanische Reitschule) is a huge tourist draw and is certainly worth seeing. If you can bear the early rise on Sunday morning, for most of the year you can hear the Vienna Boys Choir singing Sunday Mass in the chapel (Hofburgkapelle) at … from memory … about 0915. You can’t just wander in – it’s a ticketed event (!) but a wonderful experience.

- Schönbrunn lies a little bit further out, but can be reached on U-bahn line U4 or by tram 58 (from memory!) from the Westbahnhof. Be sure to explore the beautiful grounds – in summer (unlike my pics!), the gardens are beautifully manicured. If you have the energy, walk up to the Gloriette.

- The Belvedere also has nice grounds in summer and lies on tram route D (stop before Südbahnhof terminus).

- The State Opera House (Staatsoper) has an interesting tour available. Performances are very expensive. Tip : the People’s Opera (Volksoper) is much cheaper, but performances are usually by the same company! Reached by tram from the lower terminus at Schottentor.

- For those who can safely enjoy such delights, the original Sachertorte can be sampled at the Hotel Sacher, near the State Opera House.

- Outwith the central area, and if you have time, try taking tram 38 from the lower terminus at Schottentor to the suburb of Grinzing, on the edge of the Vienna Woods. It’s most famous for its Heurigen, little wine houses / bars (not the yuppified variety!) where the local product tends to be consumed in large quantities! Makes for a very pleasant evening out! Alternatively, visit in the afternoon and, when you’re done, take bus 38A to the top of the Kahlenberg, for excellent views across the city. You can walk down the footpath to Nussdorf and return using tram D.

- You can visit the homes of various great composers, including Mozart (near St Stephen’s), Schubert (not too far from Schottentor) and Beethoven (in the suburb of Heiligenstadt).

- Many people also like to visit the Big Wheel at Prater, which famously featured in the movie The Third Man.

- On a longer visit, why not make a day trip to the Danube Valley and towns such as Melk. Alternatively, the Slovakian capital Bratislava is only an hour by train from the Südbahnhof.

Right, that’s it … I’m knackered Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            As this is the weekend prior to my birthday (just realised it not long ago lol ), first round of drinks* on moi for the attendees of this Do.

So come already!

*both alcoholic and non-alcoholic
            I'm fairly in check with my allergies, so if I make this thing, I'll opt for the alcoholic.

What's that? Bottle of Krug? Sounds great.
            HUGE AL

Comment

There's a wine/champagne/... bar just a few minutes away from Keith's W suite ...
              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                There's a wine/champagne/... bar just a few minutes away from Keith's W suite ...
                I think he should use his W VIP connections and have the bar in his suite stocked!
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                  W?? Think you mean the LM. (even though it's very W-esque)

Or do you know something that I don't?

Besides, given the prices you mentioned I think I'm sticking to airport duty free!

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  What's that? Bottle of Krug? Sounds great.
                  Why not come and find out?

Comment

W?? Think you mean the LM. (even though it's very W-esque)

Or do you know something that I don't?

Besides, given the prices you mentioned I think I'm sticking to airport duty free!
                    You are absolutely right my bad, sorry ... the LM just reminds me so much of the typical W style.

Comment

Why not come and find out?
                      Since taipeiflyer and you will be there, I'm a little hesitant...after all...we saw what happened the last time...
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Since taipeiflyer and you will be there, I'm a little hesitant...after all...we saw what happened the last time...
                        Blah blah blah.

So are you coming or not?

No rodeo scenes to be filmed in VIE, I'm afraid.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                          Blah blah blah.

So are you coming or not?

Wow! I have not been directly addressed by the illustrious jjpb3 since looking for my laptop bag at the Prada store in Harajuku.

After I get through the crazy work and partying schedule for the next four weeks, I'll take a peek at the schedule to see if I can accommodate. It is at the end of a quarter for me.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Wow! I have not been directly addressed by the illustrious jjpb3 since looking for my laptop bag at the Prada store in Harajuku.

After I get through the crazy work and partying schedule for the next four weeks, I'll take a peek at the schedule to see if I can accommodate. It is at the end of a quarter for me.
                            Illustrious? Moi? That's a tad bit more flattering than the words my friends here in London would use to describe me.

Hope you can make this Do.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              No rodeo scenes to be filmed in VIE, I'm afraid.
                              There are gorgeous stallions at the Spanish Riding School but I doubt the boys would be able to ride them.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                                There are gorgeous stallions at the Spanish Riding School but I doubt the boys would be able to ride them.
                                but there'd surely be other opportunities to ride (horses perhaps) there is a pretty famous amusement park here hehe.

Comment

Working...
                                X