Christmas travel plans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
    Taking it easy as have red eye 0700hrs flight back up to the cold Scotland. No invite from you to head into town.
    Time to relive my HKG experience the other day!

You come into town. I'll treat you to dinner (plus a few bottles of something to help you sleep tonight). Deal ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      Time to relive my HKG experience the other day!

You come into town. I'll treat you to dinner (plus a few bottles of something to help you sleep tonight). Deal ?

Thanks but have to decline. Old age I'll be down to London often this year to try some SD. Will meet up then. Hope you have had afab time on CX.

Comment

I have to collect at least 10,000 *miles over 24 Dec-28 Dec. UA has pretty decent fares with x1 mileage accural with BD. I thought YVR might be the perfect destination. It seems the connection through LAX/SFO would give me more miles than DEN/ORD.

I'm worried about the weather. I have to be at work first thing on 28 Dec, would DEN/ORD connections be not desirable then? Are there more creative routings for me to get back to LHR?

Not fond of snow. Is this a common occurrence in YVR?
        Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
        Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post

Any advice on cheapish fares, routings, more temperate destinations to visit would be much appreciated.

P.S. I've looked into Singapore. SQ fares are ridiculous. LH only gives x0.5 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
          I have to collect at least 10,000 *miles over 24 Dec-28 Dec. UA has pretty decent fares with x1 mileage accural with BD. I thought YVR might be the perfect destination. It seems the connection through LAX/SFO would give me more miles than DEN/ORD.

I'm worried about the weather. I have to be at work first thing on 28 Dec, would DEN/ORD connections be not desirable then? Are there more creative routings for me to get back to LHR?......
          I am not an expert at YVR weather but I don't think it gets much snow. Those photos maybe once in a decade event. Paging SQ LPP.

Fares to YVR are on the high side. You can do much better flying to LAX or SAN. Don't know how many miles you need, but LHR-LAX/SFO-SAN RT will get you more than 11K miles. I would avoid ORD/DEN in the winter if you don't enjoy being snowed in.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post

I'm worried about the weather. I have to be at work first thing on 28 Dec, would DEN/ORD connections be not desirable then? Are there more creative routings for me to get back to LHR?

Not fond of snow. Is this a common occurrence in YVR?

Any advice on cheapish fares, routings, more temperate destinations to visit would be much appreciated.

P.S. I've looked into Singapore. SQ fares are ridiculous. LH only gives x0.5 miles.
            Last winter was a bad winter here in Vancouver. Of course we can not predict what happen this winter. El Nino may ruin the Winter Olympic plan.
            If you want to get away from the cold winter, doing a UA run to the US, you might be better off by flying nonstop LHR-SFO or LHR-LAX. And of course, if you plan to do LHR-LAX, you also can take NZ.
            If you think, Singapore is a better place to be for Christmas, you can try LX via ZRH.

Comment

You mean fly LX LHR-ZRH and switch to SQ's LX codeshare for ZRH-SIN?

(that might prove a pricey solution)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                You mean fly LX LHR-ZRH and switch to SQ's LX codeshare for ZRH-SIN?

(that might prove a pricey solution)
                Depending on the availability of certain days, I have noticed that code share service doesn't mean more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                  Fares to YVR are on the high side. You can do much better flying to LAX or SAN. Don't know how many miles you need, but LHR-LAX/SFO-SAN RT will get you more than 11K miles. I would avoid ORD/DEN in the winter if you don't enjoy being snowed in.
                  Thanks for the LAX/SFO-SAN suggestion. LA is a bit too hip and trendy for me, so I think I might go with either SFO or YVR.

I'm slightly confused about the routing. I would have thought YVR was further but LAX-LHR seems to yield more miles.

LHR-YVR rtn might be on the high side. But a YVR-LHR rtn is not too bad. I have a LHR-YVR segment for Feb but I might try changing it for Dec, then start a fresh ticket from YVR. Or SFO for milder weather. Or even Hawaii.
                  Last edited by phaleesy; 10 November 2009, 05:47 AM.

Comment

A Contiki Tour Of Vietnam for Christmas 2009.I leave Adelaide on the 22nd of December to Singapore for the night AND continuing on the following day to Ho Chi Minh City.Vietnam Highlights Tour and looking forward to it flying home from Hanoi on the 1st of January 2010 arriving back in Australia on the Morning of the 2nd of January 2010.

ADL-SIN-SGN
                    HAN-SIN-ADL.

Last Two Christmas before that were on South Pacific Cruises with P&O.2007 on the Pacific Dawn out of Sydney and 2008 on Pacific Sun out of Brisbane so this year will be different and hope all goes well.

Comment

• Off to FRA, then drive to either Austrian or Italian side of Alps for a 3-day-reset (hopefully with lots of snow to ski). Christmas in Italy, driving back to Holland for NY, then back to SIN.
                      Kyo & Phaleesy, had you been around in that period, we could have had a nice meeting in the snow on the sunny side of the Alps... but you prefer ZRH

Comment

• Mr and Mrs Edison will be doing 2 trips over Xmas and New Year period.

We will first head from Sydney to French Polynesia via Wellington NZ during Xmas and New Year on NZ J (SQ *A J redemption ). Flying to Wellington on Xmas day and spend one and a half days there, then fly the last flight to Auckland and stay overnight at airport hotel before heading to Tahiti on 27th Dec. We will spend 1 week at OWB at Hilton Moorea Resort and our activities include snokelling, sleeping, lazing around, seeing lovely Tahitian people, visiting the fishes sharks, sting rays etc. Finger crossed for good weather though. We will leave Tahiti on 2nd Jan and arrive in Sydney on 4th Jan at 08:30.

After this, we will drive home (1 day Hertz car hire), and swap luggage, and then go back to airport to catch VS on PE to Hong Kong leaving on the same day at 15:40. We will be in Hong Kong for 2 days visiting relatives, then go to Guangzhou to visit more relatives. Mr Edison will then come back to Sydney on SQ J redemption on 11th Jan, and will be in Singapore for 7 hours, and will try SKL SIN, Spacebed and new regional J all for the first time. Mrs Edison will stay there until late January where she will also come back on SQ J redemption.

So yes, it is really two trips, but may be only one, as Sydney was a transit point between the trips! Will fly total of 8 segments (6 J, 1 PE, 1 Y). I think I need a rest after this.

Comment

• hopping on the SIN-MAN flight to spend it with the gf's family. Not sure about 13 hours in Y in a 200ER! I'm just going to sleep most of it. Only full upgrade awards available on my dates of travel sadly.
                          blog

Comment

• Originally posted by haf View Post
                            hopping on the SIN-MAN flight to spend it with the gf's family. Not sure about 13 hours in Y in a 200ER! I'm just going to sleep most of it. Only full upgrade awards available on my dates of travel sadly.
                            mrs nickbot and I will be flying out of MAN on the 26th (staying at Crowne Plaza MAN on the 25th), but I presume you'll have passed through MAN by then? If not, would be nice to meet for a drink

Comment

• Originally posted by edison View Post
                              We will first head from Sydney to French Polynesia via Wellington NZ during Xmas and New Year on NZ J (SQ *A J redemption ). Flying to Wellington on Xmas day and spend one and a half days there, then fly the last flight to Auckland and stay overnight at airport hotel before heading to Tahiti on 27th Dec. We will spend 1 week at OWB at Hilton Moorea Resort and our activities include snokelling, sleeping, lazing around, seeing lovely Tahitian people, visiting the fishes sharks, sting rays etc. Finger crossed for good weather though. We will leave Tahiti on 2nd Jan and arrive in Sydney on 4th Jan at 08:30.
                              How nice! French Polynesia is on my must-go-to list.

Would you be doing a trip report on the NZ flights and various activities in Tahiti? Please?

Comment

• French Polynesia is receiving heavy coverage on the SPG TV channel at the moment... now I also really wanna go in 2010... goodness, another DO in the making?

Comment

Working...
                                X