Christmas travel plans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
    I should be there on the evenings of 31 Dec and 1 Jan.
    Let's see if I find you at the Living Room...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Can one see the New Year's eve fireworks in a room or on the roof at the W? Or at the Grand Hyatt? Where does one go to to get the best view of the fireworks exploding above the skyline of HK?

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        Where does one go to to get the best view of the fireworks exploding above the skyline of HK?
        Avenue of the Stars where the IC is

Comment

• To be honest, it was so heavily misty during last year's Christmas period that if the same fog was experienced for New Year's, it'd be hard to see anything from the W side.

Avenue of Stars, best shot...

Comment

• As usual for me throughout the years, will be heading home (SIN) for X'mas and a trip to KUL or Malacca (mum's hometown).
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• A few nights in Queenstown, probably to MEL by NYE. Haven't figured it out yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                Yep, loved it. Some pretty fab bars there. OH taught English in Seoul for 2 years after graduating from uni and still has heaps of friends there, so the local connections probably helped.
                Fair enough,. The most I've done is three nights and that was more than enough, although all visits have been work trips anyway. It's not a place I'd pick for a holiday myself (another 25 cities in Asia higher up the list) but each to their own.

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                Can one see the New Year's eve fireworks in a room or on the roof at the W? Or at the Grand Hyatt? Where does one go to to get the best view of the fireworks exploding above the skyline of HK?
                Do they do fireworks on NYE in HK now ? The one occassion I was there on NYE they didn't bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                  I don't think you can see fireworks from the W. I think the CNY fireworks are much better than the NY fireworks (if they exist).

http://www.hkfastfacts.com/Chinese%2...-fireworks.htm

Lunar New Year Fireworks

[...]

Good places to watch fireworks: As the fireworks were fired from boats outside Wanchai, the best place to see it is along the coast of Tsim Sha Tsui, Central, Admiralty and WanChai. I think Hung Hom may also be alright but I have never tried. If you are a tourist, stay in one of these hotels and have a sea view, you may be able to see it comfortably in your own room or top floor of your hotel: the Peninsula Hotel, Salisbury YMCA, the Marco Polo Hotel HK, Intercontinental Hotel Hong Kong, Grand Hyatt, and someone claim that you can even see it in Harbour Plaza Hong Kong Hotel in Hung Hom.
                  I think you should also be able to see the fireworks from the Sheraton in TST where I was one NYE but (sensibly) I didn't sit in my room to watch the fireworks! Obviously with any of these places, you need a harbour view room.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    TR pleaseeeeeeeee
                    Sure..

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      Fair enough,. The most I've done is three nights and that was more than enough, although all visits have been work trips anyway. It's not a place I'd pick for a holiday myself (another 25 cities in Asia higher up the list) but each to their own.
                      I absolutely love Seoul! Especially hanging at the Park Hyatt there.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        Do they do fireworks on NYE in HK now ? The one occassion I was there on NYE they didn't bother.
                        Yes, they do!
                        http://www.discoverhongkong.com/fest...lebrations.jsp
                        I'd be most upset if they don't because I deliberately routed a complex iterinary through HK just for the fireworks!

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        To be honest, it was so heavily misty during last year's Christmas period that if the same fog was experienced for New Year's, it'd be hard to see anything from the W side.

Avenue of Stars, best shot...
                        Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        Avenue of the Stars where the IC is
                        Thanks for the advice. Avenue of the Stars then. One of us has already booked the Grand Hyatt on NYE but we're not sure if we'd get a Harbour view.

kyo+ and jhm, doubt we'd be watching the countdown together then, since you lot would be at the W. You just had a lucky escape - I usually run around kissing everybody after the countdown.

Comment

• Well, route yourself through TPE, and we'll see what we can do

C'mon... nothing beats Taipei 101 for fireworks in Asia...

Comment

Well, route yourself through TPE, and we'll see what we can do

C'mon... nothing beats Taipei 101 for fireworks in Asia...
                            Too late.

I took so much time planning my complex routing and I can't change it now.

See you in TPE during NYE 2011. You can collect my kisses then!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                              I'd be most upset if they don't because I deliberately routed a complex iterinary through HK just for the fireworks!
                              [...]
                              kyo+ and jhm, doubt we'd be watching the countdown together then, since you lot would be at the W.
                              You're unlikely to find me by myself in the W on NYE - I may be sad but not that sad!

Last year in HK, the plan was for a blowout sushi dinner with some others followed by a party elsewhere before/after midnight. Due to work , it turned into a party by myself in my hotel room followed by an English breakfast at 3am (at a 24-hour breakfast place, The Flying Pan).

Anyway, I seemed to have booked more or less the exact same "complex" itinerary as phaleesy and we may not make it to HK for the NYE if the fare blows up in our faces, i.e. denied boarding elsewhere in Asia!

Comment

• For once I am not having a trip from my beloved BHX , but from that place down the M40

Dec 16 SQ321 LHR - SIN R
                                Dec 17 SQ227 SIN - MEL R
                                Dec 17-22 Hilton on the Park, Melbourne
                                Dec 22 QF438 MEL-SYD C
                                Dec 22-29 Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
                                Dec 29 QF528 SYD-BNE C
                                Dec 29-Jan 3 Hilton Brisbane
                                Jan 3 SQ256 BNE-SIN C
                                Jan 3-7 Conrad Singapore
                                Jan 7 SQ318 SIN-LHR C

That should make up for two years of LH/LX whY

Comment