Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any SQTalkers in London and Zurich this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
    Glad to hear the special package arrived safely jjpb3 I'd like to second your vote of thanks to both taipeiflyer and CGK for their roles in procurement and delivery respectively I am truly beside myself with delight with my new toy! Look forward to seeing you all again soon!
    You do realise that a Tumi bag that's actually packed with clothes is going to be significantly heavier and thus more difficult to carry than an empty one don't you?

You could coat the wheels with scratch-resistant paint?
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      ...You could coat the wheels with scratch-resistant paint?
      Thanks KeithMEL, I think the current plan (as suggested by fellow SQTalkers in London at the weekend) would be to carry a towel or mat that could be placed on the ground ahead of the bag and then moved ahead again after the precious Tumi had rolled over it. That way, the wheels only make contact with soft cotton as opposed to harsh concrete

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        So when during that trip did your fan club find you, CGK?

A fan club?
        Those boys' teacher should teach them that people who travels are not Japanese only. They kept saying konichiwa which made me thinking that we looked like Japanese to them. And yeah, they don't know what's the official language of Singapore.

Comment

You have exactly same bag with me! 20" Expandable G4 right?

I have just got another 26" G4 for my check in... now I am thinking twice whether to check it in, it looks so nice brand new

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Update: the goody has been delivered. There may yet be hope that BA can recover from its current rut.

A thousand thanks to CGK for ferrying the bag from LA and trying to keep it in pristine condition prior to delivery, and to taipeiflyer for his generosity in extending to me the very favorable terms of purchase that he enjoys.

I can only try to make up for the favor by buying drinks and/or dinner whenever and wherever we next meet. I'll be very disappointed if you don't take me up on this offer.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
            And yeah, they don't know what's the official language of Singapore.
            Do they even know where Singapore is? When I was studying in the UK, classmates thought that Singapore was a province in China.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
              Do they even know where Singapore is? When I was studying in the UK, classmates thought that Singapore was a province in China.
              Hmm I did not remember whether we asked them about where Singapore is.

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
                You have exactly same bag with me! 20" Expandable G4 right?
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post

Duh! everyone knows singapore is a borough of Malaysia.

*Ducks and hides*

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    Orders more popcorn....
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post

Comment

*Ducks and hides*
                        Singapore is the heart of Malaysia! Without Singapore (us), she would still be called Malaya.

Comment

I'm sure you meant to say borough of Johor Bahru.

This just crossed my mind: How do you folks pronounce 'Malaysia'?
                          ma-lay-szhee-a or ma-lay-see-a

Comment

• Hehe. I'm a dual-citizen of SG and USA. I currently reside in the states, so I've had my fair share of ignorant comments about Singapore.
                            1. My mom said when she was a secretary years ago mail would come in from the US that had the adress "Singapore, China" on it.
                            2. When my expat dad was arriving in SG for business for the first time, he told me that he bowed to everyone, and said "kanichiwa" to Indians and Malays! My mom said when they got married there were some pretty awkward moments in public.
                            2. When the Indonesian tremors recently hit they were showing it in the morning on my classroom screen and SG was marked on the nap as it was nearby. People were asking each other where SG was and said things like China, Japan, N. Korea, Indonesia, and Malaysia. Not one person said it was its own country so I finally blurted in.
                            3. In language arts class recently someone was trying to figure out what I would be if I was from Singapore. no one said Singaporean. The person then asked me what someone from Malaysia would be, I answered Malaysian. They said I was a Malaysian! aaargh!
                            4. A girl I know who's dad is from Penang says that Singapore is still part of Malaysia. I explained to her that it isn't, and she still doesn't believe me. Its sooo annoying!
                            5. Someone though Singapore was in Cuba.
                            6.Today, in my arithmetic class, some of us were chatting about different countries as my classmate had Turkish heritage. He remarked, "Aren't Singapore and Hong Kong those Chinese cities run by the gangs? They're supposed to be really dangerous, right?" ummm, yeah............
                            7. I was in the national geographic bee at school two years ago and my question was, under the category name that country: "What is the modern island country by the Strait of Malacca in which 90% of the population lives in high-rise apartments?" When I answered Singapore, the other students all lauded me for knowing the answer and one of the judges smiled as she was my Social Studies teacher and knew of my citizenship.
                            MAJULAH SINGAPURA!!! MAY THE LITTLE DOT ALWAYS REMAIN INDEPENDENT, EVEN IF IT BARELY DIGITAZES ON TEXTBOOK MAPS!
                            -done ranting
                            Last edited by sqforever; 29 September 2007, 10:04 AM.
                            Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

• Hahaha... sqforever's stories remind me of my high school in Australia. The students in the western countries are rather ignorants and their education lacks "globalisation". When I did my primary school in Indonesia, I already able to memorised ALL Malaysian states, Australian states, most of US states, and countries in the European Union. I also know 90% of the world's capital cities and learnt a great deal about European, SE Asians, US, and Australian histories.

However, in recent years, due to immigration and its proximity to Asia, Australians have become more globalised and more open minded than ever. I wish for once Americans can start to think that USA in not the centre of the world.

PS: My apology to CGK for hijacking the thread

Comment

• Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                                When I did my primary school in Indonesia, I already able to memorised ALL Malaysian states, Australian states, most of US states, and countries in the European Union. I also know 90% of the world's capital cities and learnt a great deal about European, SE Asians, US, and Australian histories.
                                Some memory you have...
                                I'll be sure to sit next to you in a trivia competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X