SIN SQTalk DO with KeithMEL - 17 July !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
    CGK, I cannot sleep late or go out till the wee hours. My folks will not allow that, unless they do not notice. I don't really like clubbing (actually I haven't tried it before ) I need sufficient sleep to stay awake for a long, long day (until 4pm).
    Dinner is at 7pm with drinks afterwards so if it fits your schedule, you could perhaps meet up for dinner only ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      Dinner is at 7pm with drinks afterwards so if it fits your schedule, you could perhaps meet up for dinner only ?
      Warning warning warning: apprentice with great aptitude for arm-twisting.

‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        Could you extend your time out here?
        Not with the amount of time I have taken off work. The Boss might do something horrible to me

Comment

Can't make it

My flight lands in Changi at 2300I'll be Sounds like fun meeting some new faces

Comment

Originally posted by Kai-Sheng View Post
            My flight lands in Changi at 2300I'll be Sounds like fun meeting some new faces
            Mine lands at 2240. What is your flight number and where are you coming from? I'll wait for you if you want. That way the gang can meet you

Comment

I hope to join you guys for dinner, if I'm allowed to. Anyway, I will NOT be allowed up to NAB at Equinox, its out of bounds to minors. I don't know if I feel out of place in such a meeting...

Comment

I hope to join you guys for dinner, if I'm allowed to. Anyway, I will NOT be allowed up to NAB at Equinox, its out of bounds to minors. I don't know if I feel out of place in such a meeting...
                SQTalk DOs are open to everyone.
                As for NAB - well unfortunately drinks are an essential component of any DO. Sorry!
                Try to come to the dinner at least.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 June 2007, 10:10 PM.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  As for NAB - well unfortunately drinks are an essential component of any DO. Sorry!
                  'Essential'? Not really. The company tends to create the buzz.

Much appreciated? Probably.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post

I was trying to think of how to say something like that. What may be "essential" to one (or some) may not be "essential" to others. If one doesn't wish to partake, they're still welcome to join the fun by being present - I certainly hope that hasn't changed.

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
                      And if one doesn't wish to partake, they're still welcome to join the fun by being present - I certainly hope that hasn't changed.
                      Don't worry it certainly hasn't changed.

Poor choice of words there on my part.

I'd admit I hadn't thought about people under 18 when thinking about the Do, though in hindsight I think we did quite well having something for everyone with having both dinner and after dinner drinks.

Then again I don't recall ever being asked for my ID nor seen anyone else being IDed at NAB unlike many other places...
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 June 2007, 10:53 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

If it'll make it easier, why not invite one or both of your parents ? I'm sure that some of the Do attendees may be of the same generation.

As for alcohol, don't listen to KeithMEL who's obviously had one too many too many times in the past (I'd use a stronger word but... ). The few SQTalk Do's I've been to (admittedly without Keith) have all been very civilised affairs, e.g. the English equivalent of a Singapore High Tea with lots of cakes, sandwiches and tea and not anything alcoholic in sight!

Comment

If it'll make it easier, why not invite one or both of your parents ?
                          That's actually a pretty good idea. Give it a go for sure.

As for alcohol, don't listen to KeithMEL who's obviously had one too many too many times in the past (I'd use a stronger word but... ).

Doing the whole living at college thing can skew one's perceptions of reality for sure. So now I've moved out it's like a detox and I'd defer to my elders...

As I mentioned above - you're very much welcome to the DO, WSSS. You can assure your parents that you won't be corrupted with alcohol, just with the pleasurable addiction to frequent flying.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post

Alcohol is definitely not de rigueur. I've gone through a whole night drinking Diet coke at the NAB.

On another occasion there, I PLANNED to go through a whole night drinking diet coke at the NAB until this chap from wigan we were with decided to whip out some positively toxic looking beverage served in test tubes.....

Either way works for me. It's the company that matters

Comment

Okay, here what I would do if I were you. Tell your parents that you want to meet these bunch of SQTalkers. Since you share the same excitement towards SQ and SQTalk, you would really appreciate if they would let you meet for dinner. Tell them where the dinner is. You give them suggestion, such as that your parents can come along, joining the dinner, or they can sit somewhere in the corner watching you while having dinner.
                              Another suggestion would be asking them to contact upright man, the arranger for this gathering. You show them his pictures with the family and with other SQTalkers that were posted awhile back. If necessary, you can PM upright man to get his phone number so that your parents can arrange something or for assuring them that we are harmless... Well, I am sure as parents, they would concern about drinks and smoking or other bad habits in their view. And I am sure, having soda, or even hot tea during the dinner would be acceptable among us. (Hey, I don't always drink! )
                              Again, as others have said, the company is the essence of the gathering.
                              And make sure, if you go, please take lots of pictures for me to see in this thread.

Note: I see that our "daddy" StarG will be present at this DO.
                              Last edited by CGK; 26 June 2007, 08:03 AM.

Comment

WSSS, just want to assure you that the people here are easy going and that you DON'T have to drink or be of a certain type to be welcomed. We just ask that you love SQ
                                We do usually have a meal and/or drinks thereafter but one does not need to feel they have to do both to feel accepted. There have been times where I've just had dinner with the folks and not had drinks later. We've even had loads of SugarCane drinks at Changi Village during lunch once.

As CGK suggested, do let your parents have the tel# of upright man or any of us. I could always drop you off back home after dinner.

Comment

Working...
                                X