Clear All

• Reminder for UK folks

starting Nov 1...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pbr2008/pbrn20.pdf

Don't rub it in

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
      Don't rub it in
      Wasn't meant as such... just to prod if one has unissued tickets.

Comment

I have already paid for some tickets. I assume i dont have to pay anymore because of this change?

Comment

I'm afraid I don't understand the regulation well enough (and I don't really need to).

But why include places like Manila, to which no airline flies directly (even with a stopover) from the UK? Does this mean if I buy, say, QR flights LHR/LGW-DOH-MNL on a single ticket, I'd actually be liable for the APD for London-Manila? If yes, I can circumvent the APD by buying separate tickets (which the ungodly transit times at DOH don't really discourage)?
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            I'm afraid I don't understand the regulation well enough (and I don't really need to).

But why include places like Manila, to which no airline flies directly (even with a stopover) from the UK? Does this mean if I buy, say, QR flights LHR/LGW-DOH-MNL on a single ticket, I'd actually be liable for the APD for London-Manila? If yes, I can circumvent the APD by buying separate tickets (which the ungodly transit times at DOH don't really discourage)?
            That portion of the rule was already in place before the hike wasn't it? You still got nailed the full 80 quid if you flew LHR-AMS in Y, and AMS-SIN in J/F if it was one ticket.

Comment

...But why include places like Manila, to which no airline flies directly (even with a stopover) from the UK?...
              It is based on final destination or stopover point of your entire ticket, including all interline connections. For example, LHR-AF-CDG-AF-SIN-SQ-MNL will be charged APD for MNL, not CDG. If you make a stopover at CDG, you can pay APD for CDG, but then you will be liable for Chirac tax.

...I can circumvent the APD by buying separate tickets (which the ungodly transit times at DOH don't really discourage)?
              Yes, you can. However, depending on city pair involved, separate tickets can be much more expensive and wipe out any APD savings.
              Last edited by TerryK; 31 October 2010, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I just noticed this:

*(However if only one class of travel is available and that class provides for seating in excess of 40”
                then the standard (rather than the reduced) rate of APD applies).
                I wonder if this was put in in November 2008? I recall Concorde Class passengers were charged reduced rate since it was the lowest class of service.

Comment

The tax kicks in not when the ticket is issued, ie by today, but when you're travelling. The tax has already been in place for departures starting NOV 1 to kick in at the new levels.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  That portion of the rule was already in place before the hike wasn't it? You still got nailed the full 80 quid if you flew LHR-AMS in Y, and AMS-SIN in J/F if it was one ticket.
                  Actually the tax of the highest amount applies. ie 170 Quid for Business Class for flights to SIN unless its a stopover of more than 24 hours in AMS.
                  Last edited by Guy Betsy; 31 October 2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Explanation from the HMRC site

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...nt#downloadopt
                    Last edited by 225; 31 October 2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

rates in the lower half of each section are the new ones.

From 1 November 2009 to 31 October 2010

From 1 November 2010

Standard rates

Band A (0 – 2000 miles)

£22

£24

Band B (2001 – 4000 miles)

£90

£120

Band C (4001 – 6000 miles)

£100

£150