SQTalk iPhone / iPad Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
    To transport the wireless keyboard, we have a felt sleeve that it slides into. It fits perfectly into her purse with the iPad.
    I take it the "felt sleeve" did not come with the product and is from something else?

Oh yeah, I forgot she occasionally carries that Long Island Girl bag that can fit a house...

I take it there was a reason you didn't opt for the foldable keyboard?
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      Now if someone could produce something for Japanese - so that I could point the iPhone at a menu (say) and get a rough and ready translation - I would instantly buy an iPhone just for that. Actually, I may even do so for for my next trip (whenever) to China.
      Taipei will do so I bought an iPhone.

It's a very nice phone but it looks like I will be carrying it and my Nokia phone when travelling in the foreseeable future. Why ?

If I want GPS turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone, I have to buy software and maps for each country/region, e.g. TomTom charge the following:

Europe - £60
      Greece (not in Europe apparently!) - £38
      Turkey (ditto!) - £35
      Malaysia, Singapore - £35
      Thailand - £35
      Hong Kong - £30
      USA, Canada - £30
      South Africa - £35
      (£300 so far for all of the above!)
      etc

The Nokia does all of that for free (explained of course by the fact that Nokia own one of the big two map companies with TomTom owning the other map company) and also includes maps for countries like Taiwan which aren't available for TomTom (perhaps they are available for other GPS software on the iPhone). I used the Nokia+GPS earlier this year when in Athens, Istanbul, Madrid and Milan and it's fabulous being able to find restaurants etc quickly and easily and always knowing exactly where I am when walking around!

(A further minor point is that my Nokia plus a program called Joikuspot (available sometimes for only £3-4) makes tethering via wifi possible. The non-jailbroken iPhone only supports tethering via USB and Bluetooth but not wifi.)

Edit: of course I realise that instead of buying TomTom etc I can use Google Maps with the iPhone's built-in Maps application but that (i) doesn't have turn-by-turn navigation and (ii) more importantly, accesses the maps over the Internet from the phone, i.e. I can't download the maps to the phone before my trip (like I can do with the Nokia). Not a good idea if I have to pay data roaming charges of (for Vodafone UK) £1/megabyte in Europe and £3/megabyte outside of Europe.
      Last edited by jhm; 19 September 2010, 07:45 AM.

Comment

jhm, if you purchased your phone in the UK, it should be unlocked and, thus, able to use prepaid SIM cards for that data roaming.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          jhm, if you purchased your phone in the UK, it should be unlocked and, thus, able to use prepaid SIM cards for that data roaming.
          My problem has nothing to do with the phone being carrier locked/unlocked. It's to do with the fact that the iOS 4 support of tethering is only over USB and Bluetooth - not wifi:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574

If I want tethering over wifi, I have to jailbreak the phone.

Comment

Anyone out there able to write an SQT app soon?

Comment

My problem has nothing to do with the phone being carrier locked/unlocked. It's to do with the fact that the iOS 4 support of tethering is only over USB and Bluetooth - not wifi:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574

If I want tethering over wifi, I have to jailbreak the phone.
              Jailbreak and use MyWi 4.0.

Originally posted by jammed View Post
              Anyone out there able to write an SQT app soon?
              V-Flyer has a nice mobile web app for the iPhone:

http://www.apple.com/webapps/travel/...needition.html
              HUGE AL

Comment

I take it the "felt sleeve" did not come with the product and is from something else?

Oh yeah, I forgot she occasionally carries that Long Island Girl bag that can fit a house...

I take it there was a reason you didn't opt for the foldable keyboard?
                you are correct- the felt sleeve is from something else.
                actually the long island bag is to carry the akita, not the house.
                chose the metal one cause it is more sturdy and still very lightweight... plenty of room in the big bag.

Comment

Just a post about two travel related apps:

My Flights - it costs money; created by someone on TOF; it keeps track of your Amadeus bookings (i.e. those accessible on checkmytrip such as BD awards) and warns you if the booking details change; I find it useful

OnTheFly - from ITA Software (recently acquired by Google for $700m) who those searching for cheap fares may recognise; free; I came across it yesterday and it seems useful/quick/nice for looking up flights, availability, prices etc whilst on the on the go; the idea is you look up the fare and then call your TA with the dates/classes/etc (the app doesn't support booking so it's not trying to sell you anything)

Comment

Thanks for sharing jhm.

I would also recommend Scanner Pro, it's good for "scanning" documents on the go. Basically it photocopies your document into a colour/bw pdf.

Comment

OnTheFly - from ITA Software (recently acquired by Google for $700m) who those searching for cheap fares may recognise; free; I came across it yesterday and it seems useful/quick/nice for looking up flights, availability, prices etc whilst on the on the go; the idea is you look up the fare and then call your TA with the dates/classes/etc (the app doesn't support booking so it's not trying to sell you anything)
                      I had heard that this one is not nearly as robust as the website and that you were better off using the latter. Your take, jhm?
                      HUGE AL

Comment

I had heard that this one is not nearly as robust as the website and that you were better off using the latter. Your take, jhm?
                        I haven't played around enough with the app but I'm sure you're right - the website is better but I guess the app will be easier to use (rather than peering at Safari on the iPhone).

Comment

Sorry to drag this up: I'd like to get a prepaid data micro-sim (voice not really necessary) for my iphone. Which telco provides them ? Ideally, I'd like one where i can just log on and top up just before my trips to singapore (and they are quite numerous) and reactivate them. Any recommendations?

Can I buy them in Changi itself?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            Sorry to drag this up: I'd like to get a prepaid data micro-sim (voice not really necessary) for my iphone. Which telco provides them ? Ideally, I'd like one where i can just log on and top up just before my trips to singapore (and they are quite numerous) and reactivate them. Any recommendations?

Prepaid data is horrendously expensive in Singapore. Suggest you go for a post paid data plan. Singtel issue microsims for Ipad

I do have a Starhub microsim that is unused. Comes with 12GB data and voice. Got it when I signed for a Iphone 4 for my SO. If you want to use, by all means ... Better than paying the subs and not using it

Comment

Hi guys,

Just thought i would point out that iOS 4.2 is now out.

I am updating as we speak. I advise users to update as it addresses a security flaw in the iPhone. For iPad users this is a major release, you will now have all the toys in iOS4.

Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post

Isn't this more appropriate for the Singapore SIM Card Thread:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3178

Would think the findings might be more helpful there.

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                                Hi guys,

Just thought i would point out that iOS 4.2 is now out.

I am updating as we speak. I advise users to update as it addresses a security flaw in the iPhone. For iPad users this is a major release, you will now have all the toys in iOS4.

Enjoy
                                Updating the minute something is released is not always good advice.

If you are jailbroken, you do not want to update until there is an official release for it.
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X