SQTalk iPhone / iPad Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
    Downloading an App from App store while typing this and at same time downloadig a video in Downloads HD...... Will that be multitasking?
    I guess to say 'the lack of' multitasking would be wrong. 'Limited' would be more appropriate.

Originally posted by HUGE AL
    The Cortex A9 iPad (rumored to be released early next year) is going to be awesome. Most likely built in camera, FaceTime, and USB 3.0 port.
    Seems like something to look forward to!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      The Cortex A9 iPad (rumored to be released early next year) is going to be awesome. Most likely built in camera, FaceTime, and USB 3.0 port.
      Waiting for this

Comment

Thought these links might be of interest to those with the iPhone 4, or indeed anyone thinking about buying one:

Geekosystem - iPhone 4 carrier unlock now available

...and this as a prerequisite to the above.

Gizmodo - rumour on early 2011 release of new iPhone to fix antenna issues
        Last edited by nickbot; 12 August 2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
          Never really understood the point of an iPad... Kinda like a bigger iPhone but with no call / SMS functionality?
          i bought my gf the 64 gb 3g version... i really, really love it and will get myself one once the next model comes out. it makes things so much easier to read than simply using an iphone. i dont like the non-multi-functionality, but that can be skirted around by jailbreaking it (we have not jailbroken ours). it is really an impressive tool, and by getting her the wireless keyboard and leather stand case, it serves as an ultra-portable laptop. i usually hate everything apple, but i give this one

Comment

Dev-Team actually just updated the release to 1.1-1 to address the battery drain issue and perhaps the visual voicemail bug.

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
            i usually hate everything apple, but i give this one
            And all it took was a flight simulator app.
            HUGE AL

Comment

...And all it took was a flight simulator app.
              Oh but *what* an app!

Comment

And all it took was a flight simulator app.
                Talking of which, I just read the following in an e-mail from Pleco who produce Chinese dictionary software for handhelds:

First off, our biggest new feature in years: I'm delighted to announce that for the next version of Pleco for iPhone, 2.2, we'll be offering an optical character recognition (OCR) add-on (which we're calling "Camera Recognizer"), allowing you to instantly look up Chinese characters and words using your iPhone's built-in camera. People have been asking for this pretty much ever since the first camera-equipped Palm OS handhelds appeared back in 2002, and 8 years later the technology has finally progressed to a point where we can include an OCR module in our software.

A particularly cool aspect of our system is that it lets you look up characters "live" without needing to take a still photo; you simply point the camera (showing a live preview) at the word you want to look up and its definition pops up instantly, something akin to an "augmented reality" system.
                It sounds well cool! I have Pleco's software for my old Palm and it works really well (they sell serious proper Chinese dictionaries and not the crappy ones based on something from the Internet which you sometimes find).

Now if someone could produce something for Japanese - so that I could point the iPhone at a menu (say) and get a rough and ready translation - I would instantly buy an iPhone just for that. Actually, I may even do so for for my next trip (whenever) to China.

Comment

The iPhone / iPad discussion seems to have acquired a momentum beyond the Singapore introduction, so I'll move it to its own thread.

jjpb3
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

...by getting her the wireless keyboard and leather stand case...
                    Which ones did you get her?
                    HUGE AL

Comment

What to do with 'older' iPad when the new one comes out? I just bought mine a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                        What to do with 'older' iPad when the new one comes out? I just bought mine a few months ago.
                        If yours is running on 3.2.1 OS and below, there are people willing to pay a premium for it for now.....
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Which ones did you get her?
                          Hey buddy, I got her the apple wireless keyboard (non-docking), model number a1314. I got her the incase leather case with adjustable positioning. I believe they were $69 each iirc.

Comment

Hey buddy, I got her the apple wireless keyboard (non-docking), model number a1314.
                            You mean this one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTcyMTgxODc

How do you pack this thing to make it mobile? Is there an aftermarket case for it?

I got her the incase leather case with adjustable positioning. I believe they were $69 each iirc.
                            This one:

http://www.goincase.com/products/det...acket-cl57512r

Did you guys look at the Apple case? What didn't you like about that one?
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Hey buddy, I got her the apple wireless keyboard (non-docking), model number a1314. I got her the incase leather case with adjustable positioning. I believe they were $69 each iirc.
                              Hi taipeiflyer,

I have some questions about the Wireless Keyboard's functionality with the iPad:

- Do features like Command-C (Copy) and Command-V (Paste) work?
                              - Do the volume and play/pause keys work?
                              - Do the up/down/left/right arrows work for controlling the cursor?

Thanks

Comment

Hi milehighj and huge al. Yep, both of those are the exact ones. To transport the wireless keyboard, we have a felt sleeve that it slides into. It fits perfectly into her purse with the iPad. I did not like the apple case- it honestly just felt more flimsy, and did not offer as many convertible positions as the incase one. We use an incase neoprene sleeve for our MacBook pro 17 inch laptop and are very happy with their products. Milehighj- I have not used the keyboard yet- I am typing this as we speak on the iPad keyboard (I have gotten quite good at it), but I know my girlfriend uses it often. I will have her log on here once she wakes up and offer her feedback on the questions you raised.

Comment

Working...
                                X