What do you guys/gals do for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC* View Post
    Not too late. You can study medicine as a postgrad course in Singapore now. I know a few people who took the switch. Very tough - but possible.
    Actually, there are quite a few mature aged (30-35ish) students in my under-graduate medicine course. I don't know how they manage it, especially with their own children to take care of at the same time, but kudos to them!

Comment

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
      The other half of my time is being spent at a university in Brisbane studying MSc (financial mathematics).
      My condolences. Trying to learn stochastic calculus made me lose all the love I had for math.

Comment

Retail for telco products

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
          My condolences. Trying to learn stochastic calculus made me lose all the love I had for math.
          Yeah, I don't really like stochastic calculus and statistics, but I hope this becomes my ticket to Singapore. Time for me to get out of Australia!!

Comment

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
            Yeah, I don't really like stochastic calculus and statistics, but I hope this becomes my ticket to Singapore. Time for me to get out of Australia!!
            I found my Statistics I and II classes quite interesting actually .

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post

whoa!!! that's so COOL!!!

Comment

I pay others to make a living out of working me...

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
                  Yours truly is a student whom travels as much as possible . Just wondering what you guys/gals do for a living? I won't deny I might use some of your posts to pursue the same career, as it involves (a lot of) travelling .
                  I don't want to shatter your dreams or anything, but as others have said and most who travel a lot for work will also tell you, it gets boring after a while. It doesn't matter where you are travelling to, which airlines or in what cabin, it's still monotonous and boring when you are doing it all the time..

Don't get me wrong, if I suddenly stopped travelling altogether I would hate it, but there is a line that if you cross it is nowhere near as 'glamorous' as you may think it is. A family friend who used to travel a lot before I did told me this when I said to him I wish I travelled as much as he does, and he was bang on. And this was years back when travelling wasn't such a hassle.
                  Last edited by MAN Flyer; 4 August 2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

As well as work travel possibly becoming boring/monotonous/a hassle/etc, there's also the point that travel (work or leisure) rapidly loses a lot of its enjoyment if you have to work, e.g. in the lounge, during the flight and/or in your hotel (such as during the evening/night in Asia when it's still business hours in Europe/the US etc). There's also the stress factor of (e.g.) having a tight deadline (possibly unrelated to your travel) but needing to take a flight and landing to a tonne of e-mails, voicemails etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      there's also the point that travel (work or leisure) rapidly loses a lot of its enjoyment if you have to work, e.g. in the lounge, during the flight and/or in your hotel (such as during the evening/night in Asia when it's still business hours in Europe/the US etc).
                      That is the PITA bit for me. Finish your woking day 7 or 8 hours ahead of the UK and Europe and your working day starts again....especially when you run a small company.

I am coming back as a permanent student in my next life as all they seem to do these days is galivant around the world in J and F.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        I am coming back as a permanent student in my next life as all they seem to do these days is galivant around the world in J and F.
                        Hope you get rich parents next time

Comment

Surprises the life out of me as well. When I was young(er) the only time I got to fly was when we visited the family in BNE every 2-3 years... Trips to KUL was done by bus and by foot to JB across the causeway (of course this was done solely for the purpose of buying cheap smokes )!
                          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I am involved with the management of the "student experience" at a UK educational institution, most of my work related travel being to do with our (European) exchange partners - hence my over familiarity with the A26 slum at FRA.

In my copious spare time, I'm a politician - having been elected twice to my city council.

Comment

A family friend who used to travel a lot before I did told me this when I said to him I wish I travelled as much as he does, and he was bang on. And this was years back when travelling wasn't such a hassle.
                              You didn't listen to him, I didn't listen to similar people who told me the same thing and I'm sure FlyingDan will not listen to us. To be fair I loved the travel for the first couple of years (even though it was in Y) and I loved finding our more about FFPs and maximising the miles I earnt. It was only when I found myself in the same office looking at the same computer for the xth time I started to get pissed off with all the downside of the travel. Plus even though I did get very fed up with it I would not change it for the world. I had so many great experiences, met some wonderful people and went to place I would never dream of going as a tourist. However I am glad that my travel has now calmed down and yes even if that does mean I have to live in Myanmar.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                                You didn't listen to him, I didn't listen to similar people who told me the same thing and I'm sure FlyingDan will not listen to us. To be fair I loved the travel for the first couple of years (even though it was in Y) and I loved finding our more about FFPs and maximising the miles I earnt. It was only when I found myself in the same office looking at the same computer for the xth time I started to get pissed off with all the downside of the travel. Plus even though I did get very fed up with it I would not change it for the world. I had so many great experiences, met some wonderful people and went to place I would never dream of going as a tourist. However I am glad that my travel has now calmed down and yes even if that does mean I have to live in Myanmar.
                                I won't listen, you're right . Like I said before, I know exactly what you guys are talking about - my dad told me the very same things. Heck, I'm sure travelling will get boring for me too - but it will take a while. Also, I try to look at it at the bright side: when travelling, you collect miles and points for (almost) free holidays .

. Most of my friends are amazed I travel J and F as well, I have to state it is not common practice .

Comment

Working...
                                X