More UK Flight Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More UK Flight Tax

The UK is going to increase the tax on flights, I heard it would go up between 100-200% for long haul. (£80 or £160pp) Some people are saying it will be £300pp for the A380. It will be cheaper to go by train to france and fly from there.

The old ADP (Air Passenger Duty) will be replaced with a new levy that charges individual aircraft by weight and distance travelled. All jets weighing more than 5.7 tonnes, including freight aircraft , which are exempt from APD, will be charged according to their weight on take-off from the UK and their final destination.

Under APD, passengers pay £10 for each short-haul flight out of the UK, rising to £40 for a long-haul economy-class ticket. It raises about £2bn a year.
    I think APD is more than the quote above, I think it is £55 for long haul.
    Last edited by Singapore Sling; 20 June 2010, 05:17 AM.

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
    ...I think APD is more than the quote above, I think it is £55 for long haul.
    Up to £40 was for pre-2007 APD.

It is actually up to £110 now, depending on distance and class of service. APD is scheduled to go up to £170 this November, but I guess it won't now.

Don't know how the new system will work and how it can be passed on to passengers as it is not a per ticket levy. Perhaps they will have scales at airports where they can weight you and charge accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
      Up to £40 was for pre-2007 APD.

It is actually up to £110 now, depending on distance and class of service. APD is scheduled to go up to £170 this November, but I guess it won't now.

Don't know how the new system will work and how it can be passed on to passengers as it is not a per ticket levy. Perhaps they will have scales at airports where they can weight you and charge accordingly.
      Have been checking, the APD is £55 LHR-SIN Economy, see below:

Airport/Government Taxes include the following:

Passenger Service Charge - (Domestic/International)(UB) GBP 23.00
      Air Passenger Duty (APD) (Domestic/International)(GB) GBP 55.00

Total Airport/Government Taxes GBP 78.00
      As to how it will work, I think you are right they will need to have scales at the airport (don`t see them going for this ) or do an average weight system. Cost will always be pass on to passengers.

It would pay the airlines to do all main flights from outside UK, ie small planes to a hub in European Union.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
        Have been checking, the APD is £55 LHR-SIN Economy...
        It is £110 for F/C tickets. APD is based on distance and class of service.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
          It is £110 for F/C tickets. APD is based on distance and class of service.
          Yes you are right, but I was using the economy class figure. There are some people who don`t fly F/C, unlike us.

Comment

Working...
          X