Juancho E. Yrausquin, Netherlands Antilles
    Kansai International, Japan
    Barra, Scotland
    Paro, Bhutan
    Tenzing-Hillary, Nepal
    Funchal, Madeira

Some nice pictures and descriptions here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/pi...-airports.html

I've only been to two out of the three common airports in the list (KIX, DMK and DEN of course). Leaving aside the younger SQTalkers and their vivid imaginations , I'd guess that the SQTalker who has been to the most on the list would be the intrepid SQflyergirl.
    Last edited by jhm; 9 June 2010, 06:01 PM.

KIX is pretty good... DMK less so, can't say I've been to the others...

We know our good friend kapitan has been to Gibraltar, so he's my pick for a strong contender...

Comment

I would love to land at St Maarten someday, then lie on the beach, relaxing while watching planes land meters above you..

Comment

I've only been to one on the list, but I've also played 18 holes between the runways there - it was quite the experience to have a 744 taking off while on your backswing.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          I'd guess that the SQTalker who has been to the most on the list would be the intrepid SQflyergirl.
          Wouldn't be me. I've only been to 4 of them.

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
          I've only been to one on the list, but I've also played 18 holes between the runways there - it was quite the experience to have a 744 taking off while on your backswing.
          That's poor eitiquette from the pilots - to have a foursome from Rolls Royce joining your own flight uninvited..

Comment

I think Congohas (CGH) should be on the list of scary airports

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              I think Congohas (CGH) should be on the list of scary airports
              I'd agree with that assessment........Congonhas is mad....

Comment

I was at KIX when it opened and there was a ceremony with traditional dancers trying to keep evil spirits away.

I would have expected San Diego, Santa Barbara, and the old Hong Kong airport to make the list as they all have scarey/fun approaches between buildings or mountains and the sea. Also, SFO and ORD landings can be scarey to novice flyers when they see a plane landing on a parallel runway combined with the nearness to the water.

Personally, I get a bit scared by any airport that has only prop planes, especially when combined with bad weather. (I know it's irrational.)

Perhaps my worst experience was boarding a long haul flight at SVO on a day that all of their luggage screening machines were broken. The screeners just stood around doing nothing as passengers walked around the machines. This was shortly after some major terrorism incident in Russia.

Comment

Have we forgotten Kai Tak airport?

The normal arrival would be flying over the highrisers.. but I once flew in from the waters.. now that's scary.. cos you don't know if the plane will stop in time.

There has been a few instances when a friend was a cabin crew at the time and the SQ 747 came in to land just after a typhoon... and over the highrisers and bump... roll, brake, brake, brake...

After the passengers got off, the captain came out of the cockpit with a white face and commented to the crew that he was fearful the plane wouldn't stop!

Now that is harrowing...

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                    I would love to land at St Maarten someday, then lie on the beach, relaxing while watching planes land meters above you..
                    Isn't that similar to HKT? When you come in to land there it feels like you're coming down in the ocean, until you hit the airport right at the last minute.

The scariest airport I've been to was Budapest Ferihegy back in the 70's. Landing was nothing spectacular, but then they had these vehicles to ferry passengers to the terminal building. They were kind of like ambulances with no back doors. Passengers were crammed in before the vehicle screamed across the tarmac at breakneck speed, bouncing and pitching as it went. It was pretty scary if you were near the back hanging on for dear life!

I haven't been back for 30+ years, but I expect it has been modernised since then.

Comment

Working...
                    X