Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I declined an upgrade!

Heresy I know....

BA16 was full yesterday, and possibly overbooked due to the cancellation of BA10. A lot of people were given new BPs at the gate including myself - a nice shiny new BP for seat 63K.

However I was travelling to SIN with my employer. I didn't think it was nice to ask whether he could be upgraded too, so chose to downgrade myself in order to be seated together. We're both QFF Platinums, different PNRs since he's returning seperately, he OLCIed whilst I through-checked from MEL... Oh well, I hope the lucky sod they had to upgrade in order to restore me to my original seat in WTP enjoyed Club! Though it was still a nice feeling knowing that I was important enough to BA to be upgraded, oh little joys!

What would you have done in this situation?
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

I'd have given your boss the seat. Just do a switcheroo

Many juju points to be had there

edit: i did actually once fly KUL-BKK TG in J when my boss was in Y. No upgrade - it was paid as such and he approved it. Reason was I was going on to Switzerland and he was only going on a personal trip to BKK.

I felt bad and offered him my seat - his response:

The company is paying for you to be fresh and in good shape when you get to Lausanne. I'm going to BKK to get my teeth fixed. You sit right there........

Comment

Would do what SQfg has done too but I'm not a terribly lucky girl.

Comment

Not only Club but a Club window seat on the upper deck!

Coming back from HKG earlier this week, it was a full flight in Y/Y+, my J BP bleeped red at the gate, my heart stopped a beat, they checked but then nothing.

Comment

Did said employer know what you had done for him? At the very least, you should make some deal out of it to show loyalty (though there really isn't any in the corporate world).

In a somewhat (domestic USA) similar situation, I offered to upgrade one of my clients via AA Upgrade Certs. We had a third person join us to whom we just purchased an F seat. Remembering back, it was an hour flight.

It all depends on how you get on with [note: adaption of UK lingo] your employer.
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            Did said employer know what you had done for him? At the very least, you should make some deal out of it to show loyalty (though there really isn't any in the corporate world).
            Well, he was with me when it happened. He'd actually asked me to take the seat, but as he changed his flight to be on the same plane I thought it was more appropriate that I sit with him.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Well, he was with me when it happened. He'd actually asked me to take the seat, but as he changed his flight to be on the same plane I thought it was more appropriate that I sit with him.
              I have taught you well, young Apprentice. Now go take his job and make some trips to California!
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                my J BP bleeped red at the gate, my heart stopped a beat, they checked but then nothing.
                90% of the time these days when my face flushes and my heart skips a beat would be due to my vicinity to the gate, not the presence of an attractive male specimen.

Yes, you certainly did the right thing, Keith. Thinking about it, your employer would not likely take up your offer anyway.

But I would be so uncomfortable having to sit beside my employer! What if I'm expected to work on the flight too?!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                  But I would be so uncomfortable having to sit beside my employer! What if I'm expected to work on the flight too?!
                  Plenty of people have to work while travelling.
                  It is the working while staying suitably* hydrated that can be challenging.

* note others perception of suitable may involve imbibing less liquids than my own requirements

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                    I never sit next to my boss nor my subordinates. Somehow we just always choose different seats on the plane and it works fine. Which is why Keith ought to have insisted his boss get into J to leave him alone

Comment

Not sitting with the boss ? CX certainly understand this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVisy...eature=related

Comment

The same situation happened to me ICN-SIN and gave the seat to the Boss. He was ready appreciative of it although he insisted that I should take the seat. His back hasn't been his strongest point and I put the point across and glad he accepted the offer finally after much persuasion.

Comment

I had a similar situation recently but I just took the upgrade with a big smile on my face as I waved goodbye to my boss as I went for my nice seat and he walked down the back of the plane.

Comment

He'd actually asked me to take the seat, but as he changed his flight to be on the same plane I thought it was more appropriate that I sit with him.
                            I think that was the right thing to do. I'd have done the same.

Comment

My dilemma...

This thread by KeithMEL reminds me a dilemma which I faced recently.

Making a J booking to fly to PVG and BKK earlier this week, my mother says "I was also thinking of flying Shanghai that period" (for her own reasons). So ends up we'll be on the same flight.

However, she persistently refuses to fly J and insists to be in Y (and naturally benefit the difference in $$$ for ...shopping!). This is fine for me, but it does not sound well to be on the same flight and travel separately (in essence).

What would you do?

Comment

Working...
                              X