Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can the same sh*t happen to the same guy twice ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can the same sh*t happen to the same guy twice ?!

This takes some beating for coincidence and sheer bad luck.

A few years back I was another tight scheduled RTW ticket that brought me across the pond and into Canada. I got delayed going into Montreal from ORD due to weather and then the next day I was due to fly YUL-YYZ-SFO to connect next day on NZ and do SFO-AKL-BNE.

Well we landed at YYZ in a Thunderstorm and stopped on the tarmac 20 yards from the gate as the airport went into what they call 'red alert'. This is when the ground crew can't or won't work outside when there is bad weather. We sat there for 4 hours without moving and of course my ticket went striaght up the spout.

I was literally rescued from a complete mess and nightmare of rearranged and cancelled meetings by our Guardian Angel Ms M in the YVR office, who rebooked me to MEL (I had to abort BNE) via SIN and got me waived even though I went over my CRTWSTAR2 mileage limit. She even called SQ at SFO in the morning to make sure all was well. A true star.

So, I land at YYZ this afternoon from YUL and taxi an identical route to last time and out of the window I see these white flashing lights on all the buildings across the airfield. I think to myself ooh, I remember last time and they were red so it all went pear shaped. Then I suddenly thought, oh f*ck, no it isnt, thats another of those red alerts.

Oh yes, we sat on the tarmac in a virtually identical position to last time waiting for the storm to pass. Unbelieveable, I've only been here twice.

Anyway, a small stroke of luck saw it called off and we taxied in, then back on red alert for another 20 minutes so no jetway connected. (why they jetway can't be connected by a bloke under cover I don't know...). It went off again and movement. Then, just as he 'bumped' us with the jetway back on red alert....for crying out loud. Fortunately our man either didn't get notified or thought 'sod it' I'm almost there' I'll carry on. I don't know, but in a nutshell we're off. I shook his hand as we disembarked.

So, I am now in the AC MLL here and the storm has come back, with bells on. It's as good as those you get in S.E. Asia. I am fortunate I am off the a/c, as there are loads of birds sat just off gates not moving with what will be increasingly p*ssed off pax.

My flight to IAH says delayed 2 hours, but that's not going to happen as speaking to our crew at the gate the one waiting to come in is going to Cincinatti anyway and ours I don't think has landed.

So, my meeting tomorrow morning in Houston is under threat, but I have a bit of time to get to LAX for SQ11 on Saturday...subject to this storm buggering off, of course.

The joys of travel..... I'm certainly not transitting here again...
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 21 August 2009, 08:01 AM.

Sorry to hear about all that strife. At least you can be fairly certain it won't happen a third time

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Sorry to hear about all that strife. At least you can be fairly certain it won't happen a third time
      Oh yes!

Comment

Whoa, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you get to that meeting of yours!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your experience, MAN Flyer. Hopefully it is smooth flying from now on!

Comment

I wonder if the Savage25 effect had something to do with this...

When in doubt... blame...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              I wonder if the Savage25 effect had something to do with this...

When in doubt... blame...
              Nah, blame the effing unions for this.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                I think he should try for the third time!

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                Nah, blame the effing unions for this.
                Well, it is Canadia afterall...

MAN Flyer, sorry to hear your troubles. Do keep us posted.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Crud I hate it when that happens. You've still got a long way to go to top my ZQN track record flying QF. There was a period when I was booked to go every week or two. In a 3+ month period I think I made it twice. Other times either dumped in Invercargill (and yes it is a dump made worse because it was snowing at the time), or abandoned in Christchurch or didn't even get out of Auckland. It got so bad I'd have bets with the lounge staff in Auckland and Christchurch as to whether or not I'd make it this time.

Comment

Oh my!

All the best with an uneventful continuation of your journey MAN Flyer.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Apparently Toronto had a tornado today. The MAN Flyer effect at work?

Comment

Heheh... no effing unions for him to blame that one on!

Safe onward travels, MAN flyer...

Comment

Just to update this. We did get away to IAH, but only just.

YYZ was unsurprisingly chatoic, our gate got changed 4 times in 90 minutes. They were just putting aircraft in anywhere to get people off, some of whom had been sat on the tarmac yards from gates for hours. Oh I know about that after the last time...

At the first allocated gate I got talking to the crew who were waiting to take us to IAH, and it was the First Officer who told me to go back to the lounge for an hour even though the flight screens were saying we were going on time.

When I came back down to the new gate at the new time an aircraft came in, the pax disembarked and our crew went down to get preapre, only to walk back up 5 mins later informing us that it wasn't our aircraft as it was too small. In the desperation to get people off flights the apron controllers let another aircraft come in before ours. This was a PITA as that a/c was now sat where ours needed to come for us to board.

Another couple of hours passed and the flight kept getting put back and back. Meanwhile other flights were leaving bit by bit. We were sharing a multi-gate with the EWR flight, but their crew were fast approaching timing out. They did eventually get called for boarding and they all marched of down the jetway, only to march back up a few mins later as the crew had timed out and their flight was cancelled.

I knew our tech crew were ok time wise but I then discovered the cabin crew were running out of time. At 10.30 they told me if we aren't on our way by 23.16 we aint going. The gate staff said they expected it to get canned. Then without telling anyone they removed the 'small' aircraft at our gate and few mins later a CRJ705 appears in front of the gate. Everyone starts smiling for a minute, before we realised no ground start were available to guide it in. They finally arrive and bring it in, but then as we prepare to board to everyones suprise a load of pax start disembarking!. This turned out to be another that had been sat waiting for a gate.

Cutting a long story short, the crew get on - warning the gate staff that we have 20 minutes to push back and thats it. Luckily there was only 30 pax and the superb gate staff (who had been patient and excellent throughout) get us on quick, fuel is on, catering guy gets chased off trying to put cups all neat and tidy and we pull up the door at 23.15 (I kid you not) with the crew shouting to the gate staff '1 minute to spare' !!.

We may have arrived in Houston over 6 hours late, but at least we got there and it saved me a load of hassle. 10/10 for the AC Jazz ground staff, cabin crew and tech crew.

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                          Crud I hate it when that happens. You've still got a long way to go to top my ZQN track record flying QF. There was a period when I was booked to go every week or two. In a 3+ month period I think I made it twice. Other times either dumped in Invercargill (and yes it is a dump made worse because it was snowing at the time),
                          I could live with the hassle back home or if just leisure trips as its more manageable than when you're a fair way from home and on carefully a carefully crafted itinerary of flights and meetings. Whats wrong with IVC anyway?. At least it's got a 'lounge'.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the frustrating trip. At least everything went safely, as the tornado caused several injuries and one death somewhere north of the city in Vaughan. Hopefully the rest of your trip is safe and hassle-free.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              ...few mins later a CRJ705 appears...
                              You flew a CRJ from YYZ to IAH??? I knew Jazz flew the shorter routes, but that's kinda uncomfortable.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X