Travel with crutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    What are you talking about? I tore some ligaments and cartilage in my wrist one year from boxing and had a wrist splint on for 9 months. Pre-boarded every time as I would have held up the plane from taking so long to stow my luggage.
    There, there, it seems I struck a nerve... poor BABY AL...

Comment

Sorry to hear about that incident, jhm! Hope that you recover soon. The best person to give advice on your flight would be Upright Man.

This reminded me of my jungle survival course in Brunei where I tore most of my ligaments in my ankle. My leg was in a cast for 4 months and when it was taken off, the muscles were all wobbly due to the antrophy!

I had to prove Newton's law that what goes up must come down.

Comment

This must be the sympathy thread for grown-up boys to compare their war wounds.

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
        the muscles were all wobbly due to the antrophy!
        Strangely enough, I was thinking up two new names for jhm just this morning! Creepy crawlie (bet he's crawling about the house now) or wobbit (because I know he'd be wobbly with his crutches). I think I'd go with the latter.

Comment

I never had the opportunity to break any major bones or being in a cast over my arms/hands/legs/ankles..... except maybe just a couple of disclocation of the little fingers while playing basketball...... but of course there are the sores and cramped muscles after some soccer.....

heal fast jhm and more careful next time.... cheers...
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            This must be the sympathy thread for grown-up boys to compare their war wounds.

Strangely enough, I was thinking up two new names for jhm just this morning! Creepy crawlie (bet he's crawling about the house now) or wobbit (because I know he'd be wobbly with his crutches). I think I'd go with the latter.

Comment

Wish you a speedy recovery, jhm.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                Anyway, after that, I'm back at home now with my leg in a plaster for 6 weeks but a few trips coming up in that time. I'll cancel/postpone some of them but one which I'm not sure about is NYC in 2-3 weeks' time. By then, my non-weight bearing cast should be replaced by a weight bearing one (i.e. I can stand on it).

Does anyone have any experience of travelling with a leg in a plaster ? Is it easy/difficult to organise a buggy/wheelchair ? I never realised until now how it is to walk with crutches - steps or stairs are really difficult!
                this was my experience flying EWR-SIN on SQ. i broke my ankle a few winters ago when i slip and fell along 37W and 47th.

because of that and due to me running a temperature, i couldn't proceed with the rest of my interviews so my singapore-based gf (now wife) called up the airline to arrange for me to take an earlier flight from newark to sin (where i was spending new year's).

she did not mention to them that i was on crutches - however when checking in at the airport, priority boarding was arranged and a wheelchair was made available (with a guy pushing it) at the counter when the staff saw i had a cast and crutches.

other than dizziness and having breathing difficulties on board, i started coming out in a crazy rash just as i landed at singapore, where i was among the first few to disembark.

[the high temperature and rash eventually became chickenpox. i was annoyed as despite showing my state medical license, the cabin crew did not allow me access to the medical kit (i wanted to borrow a sphygmomanometer) unless the captain's permission was sought. they never did get back to me... ]

a lady was waiting with a wheelchair for me on the bridge and i was wheeled away from the plane.

at both airports, i went through regular immigration channels while sitting on the wheel chair.

the lady on the bridge helped collect my luggage and another changi airport lady appeared and pushed my luggage cart out of the arrival hall and handed it to my gf who was waiting for me.

i was then wheeled still, by the same lady to the taxi stand and she waited until i boarded before leaving with the chair.

anyhow, from both perspectives i don't think flying will be too much of an issue for you (barring any other health-related problems) unless you have have plenty of luggage and no one to help you carry them. you can hobble around and go up/down stairs with one good leg.

lastly, although mine was arranged by the staff at newark, i would recommend you inform the airline as early as you can that you would need a wheelchair at the airport - murphy's law!
                Last edited by taxico; 17 August 2009, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Wishing you a speedy recovery, jhm.

A cast in NYC's August humidity: .
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                  X