Train Vs Bus Vs Virgin Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train Vs Bus Vs Virgin Blue

I am hoping to get some advice by those in Australia, or those who are familiar with getting around Australia. I'm flying SQ219 to SYD and returning by SQ228 from MEL. So I will be buying a one way ticket from SYD-MEL. I'm kind of leaning towards flying or taking the train, but was hoping to get some feedback on the train services for Countrylink, or any trains that run between those two cities, and if there is much of a view in the journey there. I am hoping to avoid the Bus all together.

Thanks in advance.

Not much view by road or train (unless you take the "coastal" road which takes a long time). It is quite a long ride, best broken over 2 days.

I'd fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
      Not much view by road or train (unless you take the "coastal" road which takes a long time). It is quite a long ride, best broken over 2 days.

I'd fly.
      Yeah I was thinkin' of flying too after noticing not much price difference. Thanks for the advice. Looks like it is either Virgin Blue or QF for me, since both prices are almost the same for September.

Comment

living in beautiful Melbourne I know the train (2 a day) takes around 11 hours leaving sydney at 7:45am & 8:30pm and arriving melbourne at 7pm and at 7:30am.... its quite reliable to the best of my knowledge, my dad used to drive trains so i find them boring and unexciting.... I hate buses so id dismiss that idea .... flying has the advantage of you contributing to the third most popular plane route in the world Mel-Syd and vice versa.... also Qantas and now Tiger airways do the Syd-Mel route so consider them if you wish
        Feel free to ask anymore questions us Melbourne people are so much more helpful than those try hard sydney ones
        Ive flown SQ and I adore it

Comment

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
          Yeah I was thinkin' of flying too after noticing not much price difference. Thanks for the advice. Looks like it is either Virgin Blue or QF for me, since both prices are almost the same for September.
          September flights into Melbourne can usually be pretty heavily booked because or the AFL (Australian football) finals being on at that time.... If you plan to visit Melbourne in the last week of september (especially the last saturday) id book a bit in advance because thats when flights go way up in price

Comment

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. If time is important then fly. For me when I visit a country I like to see the place so normally rent a car and drive. I did Mel-Syd a few years ago. It is not the most interesting drive but I took three days and stopped at various places along the way and really enjoyed it.

Comment

I would recommend flying on this route. What fares have you got so far?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                I would recommend flying on this route. What fares have you got so far?
                $110 AUD for the train, $115 AUD for QF, and $105 AUD for DJ. Couldn't get a *A flight.

Comment

Not surprising, *A doesn't fly between SYD-MEL.

For me, it's a no-brainer to fly with DJ or QF. Since cost matters, go for DJ. It's a short flight and they are actually excellent in all the times I've flown with them. You can also join their Velocity FFP, or credit to Enrich if I'm not mistaken. Anyway that's probably of very limited use to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    Not surprising, *A doesn't fly between SYD-MEL.
                    That is not quite correct. UA flies once a day, but has no traffic rights thus cannot be booked stand-alone.

Flying NZ SYD-AKL-MEL will be much more expensive (and take up most of the day).

Comment

I'd fly unless you've got time to drive and sightsee along the way. If flying, I'd sign up for email alerts for sale fares on both QF and DJ websites.

Tiger is also an option and generally ought to be cheaper than DJ or QF.

I've done the train once, my 2 cents - DON'T.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

That is not quite correct. UA flies once a day, but has no traffic rights thus cannot be booked stand-alone.

Flying NZ SYD-AKL-MEL will be much more expensive (and take up most of the day).
                        You're absolutely right, but the Op would be kinda stuck if he were hoping for UA on that. Just trying to give the right advice - but yes, you're absolutely right.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                          I did Mel-Syd a few years ago. It is not the most interesting drive but I took three days and stopped at various places along the way and really enjoyed it.
                          Thats not entirely true... if you want you can take the extra time and probably day to drive down the coastal way down through Bega, Merimbula, Eden, cross into Vic near Cann river and head up to Mel via Lake Entrance and Gippsland... I remember doing this trip as a 9 year old and it was fun to drive through the mountains(well big hills) and via the coast however I did suffer from quite terrible car sickness but thats another story entirely

Comment

This sounds like a new and fun* way to travel between Syd-Mel that id not thought of previously lol

* perhaps time consuming and expensive

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_sq View Post
                              September flights into Melbourne can usually be pretty heavily booked because or the AFL (Australian football) finals being on at that time.... If you plan to visit Melbourne in the last week of september (especially the last saturday) id book a bit in advance because thats when flights go way up in price
                              bryan_sq,

With the Swans a rank impossibility of making September () I wouldn't imagine traffic on the YSSYYMML route to be too bad around September.

Although if sumitsan was to fly down in the last week, well that's going to be a dogs breakfast either way, and god help him if he's looking for accommodation!

Comment

Working...
                              X