Problem Solving: ex-LAX, Visiting NRT & ICN, USD$3000 Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Solving: ex-LAX, Visiting NRT & ICN, USD$3000 Budget

I thought I'd put this out to the peanut gallery as I have no clue as to the best solution here for a friend of mine. Particulars:
    • $3000 total budget (I figured $2k for airfare/$1k for hotels, but this could be different if an ATW could be accomplished)
    • Would like to do an ATW and is OK in whY, but with the new pricing + cost to get to launch point, not sure if this is feasible; if this is not happening, point to point is OK
    • Has no mileage that I know of
    • Would like to be in Tokyo and Seoul
    • Resides in Los Angeles

What would you do?

Danke!

Apologies as I also believe the partying with taipeiflyer and zander is wearing on me...
    HUGE AL

Since he's only going to Seoul and Tokyo, a RTW isn't worth it. What about a return ticket on JL/NH/OZ etc with a stopover in either city?
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I've no idea what pricing is like ex-LAX, but surely $2k is more than sufficient for LAX-NRT-ICN, vv., on most carriers??

Was the ATW in Y your friend's idea or yours...? If it was your idea, you must not like him/her very much...

Comment

NH has offers of LAX-NRT rtn in Y starting from about US$700 so that's a start: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/travel...v/e_index.html

OZ is even better for LAX-ICN starting from US$515: http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...lash&kw=000007

He/She can add a GMP-HND vv ticket along the way

As for hotels in Seoul, a cheap and good one would be Ibis Myeong Dong but I suppose you only know PHS

Tokyo I don't know. PHT perhaps

Comment

Amazing what a nap can do!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Since he's only going to Seoul and Tokyo, a RTW isn't worth it. What about a return ticket on JL/NH/OZ etc with a stopover in either city?
          Originally posted by milehighj View Post
          I've no idea what pricing is like ex-LAX, but surely $2k is more than sufficient for LAX-NRT-ICN, vv., on most carriers??

Was the ATW in Y your friend's idea or yours...? If it was your idea, you must not like him/her very much...
          The ATW came up since he knows I do them. I let him know the old whY fares and he was intrigued. He's considering Spain as well.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          NH has offers of LAX-NRT rtn in Y starting from about US$700 so that's a start: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/travel...v/e_index.html

OZ is even better for LAX-ICN starting from US$515: http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...lash&kw=000007

He/She can add a GMP-HND vv ticket along the way

As for hotels in Seoul, a cheap and good one would be Ibis Myeong Dong but I suppose you only know PHS

Tokyo I don't know. PHT perhaps
          Yeah, I saw the NH and OZ fares, but is a stopover allowed?

As for hotels, ICN is not a bad situation. For Tokyo, I'll have him do 6 SPG stays so he can grab a weekend over there.
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            Yeah, I saw the NH and OZ fares, but is a stopover allowed?
            If not, then as mentioned above take the cheapest fare to NRT and buy separately GMP-HND r/t for not very much (less than US$400 I think ?).

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            As for hotels, ICN is not a bad situation. For Tokyo, I'll have him do 6 SPG stays so he can grab a weekend over there.
            No need for that!

I would get your friend to ask a TA in LAX for package deals to Tokyo including accommodation. Assuming s/he doesn't mind where in Tokyo s/he stays, it should be cheaper than booking flights plus accommodation separately; and whilst the accommodation may not be luxurious, it's Japan so it'll be clean, the area will be safe and the service good. All the essentials!

Comment

Go to an asian travel agency - or better still a Japanese one and get a JALPAK package which would include the flight through to NRT and ICN with hotel packages thrown in in Japan.

Its also not worth it to do a RTW simply because she also wants to add Spain in. Better do this after the Japan trip seperately.

Comment

There have been recent fares as low as $400 for US west coast to Japan (and nearby). Far better than spending many times that on a RTW do not need.

Comment

Thanks so much, guys! There are some good tips here that I didn't know about.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                  X