• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman paralysed after plane hits turbulence

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...0422-aey4.html

Woman paralysed after plane hits turbulence
    April 22, 2009 - 2:17PM

A woman remains paralysed after her Continental Airlines flight hit severe turbulence while she was in the plane's bathroom.

The Texas woman reportedly hit the ceiling of the bathroom after the flight from Houston to McAllen encountered turbulence.

Three people were taken to a hospital early Saturday when Continental Flight 511 landed in McAllen.

Continental spokeswoman Mary Clark says one passenger and a crew member were treated and released.

But a 47-year-old woman who was in the lavatory at the time of the turbulence, as the seat belt signs were on, suffered a fractured neck.

Orthopedic surgeon Dr Trey Fulp told The Monitor newspaper that the woman was thrown against the ceiling.

Doctors spent six hours operating on her back after the plane landed -- and the woman faces additional neck surgery. Fulp says the back injury left her paralyzed from the chest down.

Doctors are unsure if the paralysis is permanent.

Originally posted by blast-off View Post
    But a 47-year-old woman who was in the lavatory at the time of the turbulence, as the seat belt signs were on, suffered a fractured neck.
    Will be interesting to see what comes of this part...

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
      Will be interesting to see what comes of this part...
      ... and whether this ends up in court, e.g. if she'd been in there a while after the seatbelt sign came on, did the crew have a legal duty to bang on the toilet door to get the woman out ?

Comment

Always crossed my mind why seat belts are unavailable in the toilet. Not that I want to stay in there for an extended period but just in case...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          ... and whether this ends up in court, e.g. if she'd been in there a while after the seatbelt sign came on, did the crew have a legal duty to bang on the toilet door to get the woman out ?
          volenti non fit injuria?

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            Always crossed my mind why seat belts are unavailable in the toilet. Not that I want to stay in there for an extended period but just in case...
            You're really beginning to scare me.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
              A safety belt means the position that a person is seated is certified safe, this means you cannot just anchor a belt anywhere there is space on an aircraft...

Comment

also, airline seats are designed to survive something like 7Gs, i doubt the toilet is that safe.

Comment

Working...
                X