X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An end to armrest wars?

Originally posted by News.com.au
    The armrest that could end mid-air elbow wars

A DESIGN that allows airline passengers to share a single armrest without touching could be the solution to mid-flight elbow jostling.

The “Paperclip Armrest Concept” is a double-levelled armrest created by Hong Kong-based designer James Lee, a management trainee for airline Cathay Pacific.

Mr Lee's design won the Judge’s Commendation Prize at Hamburg’s Crystal Cabin Awards, which recognises new ideas for cabin products. The awards were presented at the Aircraft Interiors Expo.

The entry was described as “a transversely offset, double-level armrest” that allowed "two adjacent passengers to rest their arms on the armrest simultaneously, without bumping into each other, as if being given a few inches of extra width".

Many frequent flyers are excited about the design, although it is yet to be patented so will not be seen on airplanes for some time.

"I have no idea what airline seat designers were thinking when they decided to design the armrest the way it is, but it sucks... the "paperclip armrest design" may finally bring a workable solution to the problem," blogger Scott Carmichael said

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html
    Could this be the answer to our prayers?

Nice!

I've yet to experience any of these "armrest wars" flying in whY though. It seems analogous to the seat recline debate (and no we're not going to start another one of those here ). I think there's a general understanding that you give the unfortunate person seated in the middle seat the benefit of the doubt and leave the middle armrests free. Or maybe that's just me.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Personally, it looks uncomfortable. One or both of them is going to have his arm too high or too low it seems.

Comment

I like it. I think there may be one or two things that need ironing out before implementation, but great ideas are born that way anyway. Nicole Kidman doesn't get out of bed in the morning looking like she does on the red carpet - gotta put some elbow grease into it, but if in principle, it's a good idea - the cream usually rises to the top anyway.

Anything these days that better utilises what is a finite and scarce amount of space - deserves attention. Two thumbs up!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Personally, it looks uncomfortable. One or both of them is going to have his arm too high or too low it seems.
          That is what I said when I first heard about this a year or two ago. Seems they haven't made much progress.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            Nicole Kidman doesn't get out of bed in the morning looking like she does on the red carpet - gotta put some elbow grease into it,
            Sour grapes again, SQfg? Don't think any men would mind how Ms Kidman looks like in the morning.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            Nice!

I've yet to experience any of these "armrest wars" flying in whY though. It seems analogous to the seat recline debate (and no we're not going to start another one of those here ). I think there's a general understanding that you give the unfortunate person seated in the middle seat the benefit of the doubt and leave the middle armrests free. Or maybe that's just me.
            +1.

I hardly use the armrest. Usually leaning against the window fast asleep. Let the poor person in the middle seat have the arm rest. Occasionally our arms and shoulders touch. But I am certainly not going to complain, especially when it's a fit gentleman!!!

Seat recline. Fine if they want to do that. I do not like it but I can't complain. But during meal times!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              I think it's a good start. Perhaps the discomfort can make the arm-rest hogs (strangely, I tend to encounter them on CX, not on SQ, not on BA) realize their COS bought them limited personal space.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

So it looks someone's got to put their arm inside the sleeve of that armrest? Wouldn't that feel restrictive/constrictive. I don't think I like how that would feel.
                Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

If the person whose arm had to be on the 'lower deck' of the armrest had long arms or fingers, it looks rather uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                  X