No announcement yet.

item stolen from suitcase- what steps to take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about your loss, taipeiflyer.

You may also want to look into your home owner's policy, if you carry one, which usually covers off-premise personal property.

Regarding the airlines, I believe you need to contact the delivery airlines, meaning the last airlines on your itinerary, not the first. However, airlines have so many disclaimers about luggage I am not sure how much you can expect. It could also be TSA since I believe you have a domestic flight. Anyway, good luck!

Comment

deleted
      Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Yes,

i understand how it feels if your stuff are stolen especially as you mention a $1400 jacket.

i did lost my acer aspire 1 mini laptop earlier this year..

First what i did is:
        -Report the airport police (normal police stations will also transfer case to airport division)if there is no local airport police like changi , report to police stn instead.
        -Call the airline(explain to them what excatly happen,how much does the item cost,detail of flight and your name)
        -Report case to insurance company.

that is all the step i did when i lost my laptop.
        hope everything go well,taipeiflyer.
        and this case will come to the end very soon!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenPigeon View Post
          First what i did is:
          -Report the airport police (normal police stations will also transfer case to airport division)if there is no local airport police like changi , report to police stn instead.
          -Call the airline(explain to them what excatly happen,how much does the item cost,detail of flight and your name)
          -Report case to insurance company.

that is all the step i did when i lost my laptop.
          Mr Pigeon,

Did you get a satisfactory result?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
            Mr Pigeon,

Did you get a satisfactory result?
            Yes.
            in-fact, my laptop is found.
            it's stolen by one of the ground crew.
            police are still uncertain.

and i am not mr pigeon haha!!
            goldenpigeon represent SIA's logo!

Comment

well its not so much which airlines one flies - but seems that its either at TPE or LAX ground staff issue if indeed its lost/stolen. However in almost all cases, airlines will always deny responsibility and the proof of the item was indeed in the luggage - as if one didnt declare the contents obsentibly for insurance purposes, its a difficult to prove. However if at all the airline will compensate its done on a goodwill basis and non-admittance by the airline that it lost tyhe luggage content(s).

Comment

Sorry to hear, taipeiflyer. Theft has no tolerance in my world, either. But sadly (very) bad things happen, occasionally. Smb has cursed you, I reckon, to be honest. Insurance or not, nothing brings back the exact item. But if we look at it from the positive side, it's just an 'item'.

Comment

contacted BR this morning and they asked me to fill out a missing item report and fax it in for compensation. will report back once i find out anything. thank you to everyone for their advice and kind words.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the mishaps you encountered, taipeiflyer. Glad to hear that BR responded to your inquiry.

I understood about the thief reasoning. But how about another possibility?
                    Did you pack your bag almost full? Could it be possible that something happened when they did that security check for your bag that led to the handler to open your bag? And many times I had seen, the baggage inspector could not repack the bag like we did. Thus, it's possible that the inspector could not fit in your leather bag inside your bag, and he/she put into a plastic bag or under loose item, which the airlines might be able to find it?
                    Perhaps I am wrong since I have not been through Taipei for a very long time. But I had seen those check-in bags inspection at LAX or other airports. When they opened the bags, I had seen that they were not able to put back the contents fit in the bag like the pax had packed them.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                      Sorry to hear about the mishaps you encountered, taipeiflyer. Glad to hear that BR responded to your inquiry.

I understood about the thief reasoning. But how about another possibility?
                      Did you pack your bag almost full? Could it be possible that something happened when they did that security check for your bag that led to the handler to open your bag? And many times I had seen, the baggage inspector could not repack the bag like we did. Thus, it's possible that the inspector could not fit in your leather bag inside your bag, and he/she put into a plastic bag or under loose item, which the airlines might be able to find it?
                      Perhaps I am wrong since I have not been through Taipei for a very long time. But I had seen those check-in bags inspection at LAX or other airports. When they opened the bags, I had seen that they were not able to put back the contents fit in the bag like the pax had packed them.
                      yes, SQ LPP, the bag was in fact very full. i will definitely look into the matter further. thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                        yes, SQ LPP, the bag was in fact very full.
                        Oh, that's a surprise.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

I am kinda glad the item wasn't in the other bag, otherwise some folks will be of prime suspect.

taipeiflyer, the amount of expensive things you check-in is scary!

My guess is that you or someone else misplaced the jacket whilst trying to pack or repack (like what SQ LPP said).

I hope you have verified that you have not left it in TPE where you last stayed or in another suitcase.

Comment

Originally posted by mec View Post
                            I am kinda glad the item wasn't in the other bag, otherwise some folks will be of prime suspect.

My guess is that you or someone else misplaced the jacket whilst trying to pack or repack (like what SQ LPP said).

I hope you have verified that you have not left it in TPE where you last stayed or in another suitcase.
                            no, my housecleaner already verified that the item was not in the house, which is where i was directly before heading to the airport. so maybe it is at the airport. if not... i will move on, but will definitely be more cautious with respect to my checked luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by mec View Post

Hmmm...those are some serious allegations.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X