Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grounded... my days of travel shall soon be over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grounded... my days of travel shall soon be over!

since 2002, i've grudgingly buckled myself into an aircraft seat and ignored emergency procedure videos every few weeks.

the drive to the airport, the walk to the lounge, the trot to the gate, the airplane seat, the airline food, the feet and butt cabin, pitch bitch, kids and babies on planes, insincere flight attendants, surly custom officers, the different queues, the weird hotel rooms, and many many other uncountable discomforts associated with airplane travel i dislike.

while waiting to go through all that, i enjoy dreaming about mechanical watches... fountain pens... concrete plans for my future... and the end to all that flying around...

my wife bought me a very nice pelikan for christmas last year. then grad school's accepted me. just 3 weeks ago i purchased my grail watch. now i'm about to book my last plane ticket and begun to seriously consider having kids.

a redeye on november 1st will mark the end of my regular flying about and a start to a new life on ground. it does worry me that i may not get used to it.

meanwhile, i've got 5 more flights before november 1st. i hope that's enough...

p/s: and thanks for letting me lurk and learn, SQtalk!
    Last edited by taxico; 16 April 2009, 08:50 AM. Reason: (added a PS!)

Originally posted by taxico View Post
    since 2002, i've grudgingly buckled myself into an aircraft seat and ignored emergency procedure videos every few weeks.

the drive to the airport, the walk to the lounge, the trot to the gate, the airplane seat, the airline food, the feet and butt cabin, kids and babies on planes, insincere flight attendants, surly custom officers, the different queues, the weird hotel rooms, and many many other uncountable discomforts associated with airplane travel i dislike.

while waiting to go through all that, i enjoy dreaming about mechanical watches... fountain pens... concrete plans for my future... and the end to all that flying around...

my wife bought me a very nice pelikan for christmas last year. then grad school's accepted me. just 3 weeks ago i purchased my grail watch. now i'm about to book my last plane ticket and begun to seriously consider having kids.

a redeye on november 1st will mark the end of my regular flying about and a start to a new life on ground. it does worry me that i may not get used to it.

meanwhile, i've got 5 more flights before november 1st. i hope that's enough...

Wish you all the best!

Comment

It's called moving on - and congratulations!

Comment

Howdy,
        I have not been on a business trip since Nov-2008.
        Really enjoy being at home myself !!

Comment

Well you can look forward to travelling again when your kids grow up and leave

In many, many years ahead - with futuristic and newfangled aircraft waiting for you by then.

I'm happy for you. Congratulations - and may you enjoy the next stage of life!

Comment

well enjoy your time more at home and with yr family - as too much flying is also not great - wish i could fly much much less but doesnt seem so till i retire so till then its just work only - and somehow feel that the older one gets, the more reluctance to fly especailly but no choice due to work.

Comment

Working...
            X