Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concorde May End Her Days In Dubai

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6054915.ece

Getting her to Dubai would mean clipping off her wings so that she could be shipped easily. And as any Concorde enthusiast would tell you, that is an insult beyond apology

*sigh*, first the QE2, and now possibly (the) Concorde...i have no idea what to say that to that....on one hand i don't want to see it go anywhere...but on the other hand they said they would refurb the inside to make it look like what it used to be...

as i said, no idea how to feel
    Last edited by hofo_mofo; 8 April 2009, 08:27 PM.
    I'm still waiting for my cookie as my first name is Kris

Comment

BA and AF are really making sure that no one can take these beauties back to the skies- what a shame
      Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Well I would prefer her to be a museum piece in Dubai than just rusting in one corner of LHR which is happening at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          Well I would prefer her to be a museum piece in Dubai than just rusting in one corner of LHR which is happening at the moment.
          Yeah, its better to be appreciated, but then again, I just wish they could fly her to Dubai instead.

Comment

Originally posted by s7r0ng3r View Post
            Yeah, its better to be appreciated, but then again, I just wish they could fly her to Dubai instead.
            Not going to happen according to the article you posted :
            He said: “If any Concorde was going to return to flight, Alpha Bravo would not be the one because it did not have the safety modifications made to others after the Paris crash in 2000. It would be very well taken care of in Dubai.”

Comment

Singapore should consider getting G-BOAB.

Can you imagine AB repainted in the old dual SIA/BA livery and displayed at either PLB or Changi Airport or any other suitable location. She would be in much better hands and much safer in Singapore than in Dubai.

I was in Dubai to accompany the QE2 to her last destination. I never trusted that Dubai would be a rightful place for her. See what has happened since that November 27th. Strangely enough, the very last Concorde landing was also on a November 27th at Filton in 2003, exactly 5 years apart when Concorde G-BOAF flew to Filton with Les Brodie and Mike Bannister in command of the aircraft. At least she is now safe at Filton and in good hands.

I simply don't trust Dubai to take proper care of a Concorde. Just think of the Queen Elizabeth 2.

About the QE2 in Dubai.

First, the grandiose "refit" was deferred due to the economic downturn. Then we heard that "all options are being evaluated" which included "scrapping when the interest subsides". Then, we heard of at least 3 varying refit plans one of which included a trip back to Germany for insertion of a mid section. Then we were told she might open "as is" in a month or so, which would in fact be a great plan, but that was at least two months ago. Then there is the vague report of ongoing "structural analysis" to be completed by "end of Summer" before anything further happens..

I am starting to see parallels with the original QE deployment in Florida after her Cunard service. Dubai, struggling with the economic downturn, simply does not know what to do with QE2. I do wish they would open her "as is" and sort of replicate the Queen Mary in Long Beach. The 1st class staterooms could certainly be sold as Hotel rooms, and at least the ship would have a near term purpose.

I try not to think of QE2 too much, but am not at all comfortable when I do. I continue to hold out hope, but she presently just looks to be laid up, lonely, and forgotten.

G-BOAB's new place of choice - if there is one - is Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by Concorde_QE2 View Post
                Singapore should consider getting G-BOAB.

Can you imagine AB repainted in the old dual SIA/BA livery and displayed at either PLB or Changi Airport or any other suitable location. She would be in much better hands and much safer in Singapore than in Dubai.

I was in Dubai to accompany the QE2 to her last destination. I never trusted that Dubai would be a rightful place for her. See what has happened since that November 27th. Strangely enough, the very last Concorde landing was also on a November 27th at Filton in 2003, exactly 5 years apart when Concorde G-BOAF flew to Filton with Les Brodie and Mike Bannister in command of the aircraft. At least she is now safe at Filton and in good hands.

I simply don't trust Dubai to take proper care of a Concorde. Just think of the Queen Elizabeth 2.

About the QE2 in Dubai.

First, the grandiose "refit" was deferred due to the economic downturn. Then we heard that "all options are being evaluated" which included "scrapping when the interest subsides". Then, we heard of at least 3 varying refit plans one of which included a trip back to Germany for insertion of a mid section. Then we were told she might open "as is" in a month or so, which would in fact be a great plan, but that was at least two months ago. Then there is the vague report of ongoing "structural analysis" to be completed by "end of Summer" before anything further happens..

I am starting to see parallels with the original QE deployment in Florida after her Cunard service. Dubai, struggling with the economic downturn, simply does not know what to do with QE2. I do wish they would open her "as is" and sort of replicate the Queen Mary in Long Beach. The 1st class staterooms could certainly be sold as Hotel rooms, and at least the ship would have a near term purpose.

I try not to think of QE2 too much, but am not at all comfortable when I do. I continue to hold out hope, but she presently just looks to be laid up, lonely, and forgotten.

G-BOAB's new place of choice - if there is one - is Singapore.
                Well, is there any way to make them put the concorde in singapore?
                i hope to have a last flight...involving singapore airlines and BA...
                maybe SIN-LHR / SIN-manchester?

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenPigeon View Post
                  Well, is there any way to make them put the concorde in singapore?
                  i hope to have a last flight...involving singapore airlines and BA...
                  maybe SIN-LHR / SIN-manchester?
                  1. Yes there is. It's all up to the Singapore Government or up to CAAS to place a request to British Airways letting them know of their interest to lease (or buy) Concorde G-BOAB.

2. No Concordes will ever fly again... unless some multi-billionaire is willing and ready to put the money down but even then Concorde's avionics are so complex that it is most probably impossible to bring any aircraft back to flight, and even then think of the danger that such a flight would incur, suppose it crashed, it would be catastrophic. One crash was already too many.

There are only maybe a couple of frames I can think of that are still complete with their engines anyway.

Comment

Suppose that G-BOAB was going to Dubai, which is just one of the possible places BA is investigating.

There is no question of British Airways selling a Concorde to Dubai or to any other place of their choice. The aircraft will be leased for a number of years but will, like all the other BA Concordes that are now in various museums around the world, remain the property of British Airways.

If BA estimates that the leaser is not taking proper care of the aircraft they can take it back at any time.

The aircraft's recipient will have to pay all expanses that will incur to have the Concorde taken to where it will go and secure a proper installation and display for the aircraft.

Concorde AB is not there in Dubai yet.

The press just needs to sell their stories. British Airways is the ultimate decision maker on where G-BOAB's new home will be after she leaves Heathrow.

Looks like it will still be a while before she gets taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by Concorde_QE2 View Post
                      1. Yes there is. It's all up to the Singapore Government or up to CAAS to place a request to British Airways letting them know of their interest to lease (or buy) Concorde G-BOAB.

2. No Concordes will ever fly again... unless some multi-billionaire is willing and ready to put the money down but even then Concorde's avionics are so complex that it is most probably impossible to bring any aircraft back to flight, and even then think of the danger that such a flight would incur, suppose it crashed, it would be catastrophic. One crash was already too many.

There are only maybe a couple of frames I can think of that are still complete with their engines anyway.
                      Well,hope BA and SQ will make out something like putting the concorde in singapore...
                      as display..

Let the young people who never see concorde before , have a chance to.
                      especially the BA and SQ livery together!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenPigeon View Post
                        Well,hope BA and SQ will make out something like putting the concorde in singapore...
                        as display..
                        I'd rather hope that a Concorde could be brought back to the air! An awsome plane on the ground isn't that great, I want to see it flying!
                        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
                          I'd rather hope that a Concorde could be brought back to the air! An awsome plane on the ground isn't that great, I want to see it flying!
                          As concorde QE2 said...

concorde will never ever take up to the sky again...
                          but i not quite believe him.

how i wish concorde will take up to the sky!
                          so do other SQtalkers do so!

Comment

Working...
                          X