Best route in Y (LAX-SIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best route in Y (LAX-SIN)

As far as I can tell the three best ways to travel from LAX to Singapore in Y are as follows:

SQ: LAX-SFO-HKG-SIN (not very direct)
    TG: LAX-BKK-SIN
    BR: LAX-TPE-SIN

The SQ route via NRT has an overnight that makes it less attractive to me.

I would really like to try the SQ 37/38 from LAX-SIN, but I am put off by the price.

I welcome comments and/or suggestions.

Originally posted by LampStack View Post
    ....The SQ route via NRT has an overnight that makes it less attractive to me.....
    You arrive past midnight in SIN on SQ11, but there is no overnight en-route. The transit in NRT is only a little over one hour.

I would go with SQ1 LAX-SFO-HKG-SIN just because 77W is so much nicer than others.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
      You arrive past midnight in SIN on SQ11, but there is no overnight en-route. The transit in NRT is only a little over one hour.

I would go with SQ1 LAX-SFO-HKG-SIN just because 77W is so much nicer than others.
      Yes, you are correct. I should have said that the 1:05AM arrival time makes for a less convenient arrival time at the hotel I suppose. Maybe not as bad as I originally thought.

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Actually, for my personal preference, I would rather arrive in Singapore at 1am rather than 11am on SQ1. But everyone is different.
        Anyhow, since you are talking about Y, I will suggest to skip SQ11 since it's the older Y seat on 744. I would not mind taking Y on 77W such as on SQ15 SFO-ICN-SIN or SQ1 SFO-HKG-SIN. The more modern looking cabin as well as a better IFE make a difference.

Comment

Definitely agree. Having flown A380 in Y, now I can't really handle the oldness of the 747 in Y. Hence I would prefer not to fly SQ11.

As for the hotel issue, perhaps you could sleep at the transit hotel until the morning before clearing immigration, which would mean that you do not need to pay the whole night's rate for a half night's sleep (if that is what you're concerned about)...

Comment

Thanks for the help!

I am considering the TG route (LAX-BKK-SIN), in C class, (although it is slightly off topic), due to the price ($4600+$600). This compares to the approximately $7400 on SQ.

For me it is sometimes tough to decide on the route/class when the type of A/C makes a difference. I am sure the 77W is a nice step up from the 744, but the A345 is not bad either.

Having never flown on the A345 it is hard for me to judge, although I have read that the cabin is somewhat claustrophobic.

I am leaning toward the previous posters recommendation however. (SQ 1/15)

Comment

I personally prefer the SQ11/12 via NRT, but one of my reasons is biased because I'm a Megatop lover, even tho they are the older planes. Soon, they'll be out of the fleet, so I'll enjoy them while they last. One other reason why I like that flight is because after the arrival at after 1:00am, I can stay at the Ambassodor transit hotel (which is extremely cheap), then get up in the morning and have several options for other flights. So for someone who is continuing on, it may be more ideal since you can even catch the first flight out. For someone who is ending his/her trip in Singapore, it isn't the most ideal flight, since public transit does not run in that time frame, and most people would rather not come to the airport bet 1:30am-2:00am for pick up of their loved ones.

Comment

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                For someone who is ending his/her trip in Singapore, it isn't the most ideal flight, since public transit does not run in that time frame, and most people would rather not come to the airport bet 1:30am-2:00am for pick up of their loved ones.
                I will be spending six nights in Singers before moving on, so SQ11/12 via NRT may not be ideal for me. Thanks for the comments.

I would like to get some help regarding the A345 versus the 77W. I have not read any negative reviews...
                Last edited by LampStack; 1 March 2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

...I would like to get some help regarding the A345 versus the 77W. I have not read any negative reviews...
                  They are almost the same. A345 seats are just slightly modified C seats from 77W. I prefer the 77W as the seats are marginally wider and the cabin ambiance is better. Nevertheless, they are virtually identical. I would choose on schedule convenience instead of aircraft types.

Comment

They are almost the same. A345 seats are just slightly modified C seats from 77W. I prefer the 77W as the seats are marginally wider and the cabin ambiance is better. Nevertheless, they are virtually identical. I would choose on schedule convenience instead of aircraft types.
                    Thanks for the comments!

Does anyone know why SQ would charge more for SQ 15 (SFO-ICN-SIN) than for SQ 1 (SFO-HKG-SIN)?

I assume it has to do with demand I suppose. Not sure why demand would be higher on that route though.

Comment

...Does anyone know why SQ would charge more for SQ 15 (SFO-ICN-SIN) than for SQ 1 (SFO-HKG-SIN)?....
                      It is probably just the demand for the particular days you are looking. I don't see different fares between SQ1/2 and SQ15/16.

Comment

It is probably just the demand for the particular days you are looking. I don't see different fares between SQ1/2 and SQ15/16.
                        Yes, I think that must be the case.

Right now I am leaning toward the TG (LAX-BKK-SIN) route due to the premium economy class that allows a little more legroom, as I am 6 2".

I think that SQ offers a better experience than TG, but the 32" pitch in economy is a little too tight for the 14 hour journey (SFO-HKG). Anyone flown the A345 in premium economy lately
                        Last edited by LampStack; 3 March 2009, 02:56 AM.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, premium economy is no longer offered on the A345. It is an all business plane.

Comment

Originally posted by tychau305 View Post
                            If I am not mistaken, premium economy is no longer offered on the A345. It is an all business plane.
                            I think LampStack is referring to TG premium econ product.

Comment

my bad

Comment

Working...
                              X