Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another delicious attempt

I hope you guys don't mind me posting some non-SQ related stuff here

This culinary journey started out as an attempt to make the good ol Quiche Lorraine. However, due to insufficient ingredients, the recipe was modified and voila! Wonderful smoky bacon with sweet fresh mushrooms and rich Emmental cheese. Good when cold, even better when hot.

Ingredients:
    Shortcrust Pastry
    300g flour, sifted
    150g unsalted butter, cut into cubes and frozen
    1/2tsp salt

100g grated cheese (Emmental / Gruyere)
    15g butter
    12# streaky bacon, chopped
    1# large onion, sliced
    5# garlic, chopped
    200g fresh white button mushroom, sliced
    Sprinkling of chopped fresh herbs (optional)
    50ml white wine (optional)
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

2# large eggs
    250ml whipping cream (minimum 34% fat)
    75g fresh parsley, chopped

Technique:
    Shortcrust Pastry
    1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celcius. Place the flour and salt in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Pulse a couple of times to get the salt distributed evenly.
    2. With the machine running, add in the frozen butter and process until it is of breadcrumbs consistency.
    3. Add in water gradually and pulse until a dough forms.
    4. Turn out dough into a floured bowl and rest in refridgerator for 30 minutes.
    5. Roll out the dough in between two sheets of cling wrap, approximately 11 inches in diameter. Remove one side of the cling wrap and turn it over on to the loose-base tart pan.
    6. Ease the dough into the edges of the pan and remove remaining cling wrap. Cut off the excess off the sides of the pan and discard.

7. Prick holes at the bottom of the crust with a fork. Place a sheet of greaseproof paper on the unbaked crust and fill it with beans / rice. Baked in preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Halfway through, remove paper and beans and continute baking until slightly browned at the edges.
    8. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly on the hot crust and continue to bake for further 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan.

Filling
    1. In a pan over moderate heat, melt butter and saute chopped bacon until almost brown and crispy. Add in sliced onions and chopped garlic.
    2. Continue to stir until onions are wilted, add in sliced mushroom.
    3. Stir until the mushrooms are wilted, add in wine (if using) and stir until it dries up.
    4. Add in chopped herbs and season with salt and pepper. It should be seasoned slightly more salty. Remove from pan and cool to room temperature.

Assembling
    1. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, cream and chopped parsley together. Pour it into the mushroom filling and stir until well combined.
    2. Pour the filling into the pre-baked tart crust and bake in preheated oven at 190 degrees celcius for 30 minutes.
    3. Remove from tart pan and serve when you feel like it?

I don't mind at all........so long as you invite us to eat it

Comment

That looks good. Why oh why am I on a diet?

Comment

Originally posted by s7r0ng3r View Post
        That looks good. Why oh why am I on a diet?
        Oh, I'd recommend EDR (eat doubled rations) for this meal
        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Working...
        X