Something embarassing happened to me aboard SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something embarassing happened to me aboard SQ

I was staying up all night Monday trying to post the pictures from the A330 journey SIN-KUL-SIN-CGK-SIN. I went to the airport very early. Picking up my bag at left luggage, and checked-in for my flight at FC Check-In Lounge afterward. I had a cough for couple days already. Before boarding SQ12 from Gate A17, I went to Watson's to get medicine for coughing. The person behind the counter suggested lozenges would be okay as well as the syrop style. I bought one box of lozenges for cough.

I boarded the plane, and had Krug. After taking off, had more Krug. In the mean time I had the urge to cough more than usual. Decided to take one lozenges. I fell asleep. I woke up and went to the lav. I saw my face and my neck had a rash. I tried to figure out what had happened.

I traced back what might be the cause. I drank Krug last week and no problem. I had my face moisturizer, which I had used it before. I took shower in my friend's house before leaving from the airport. But I took the shower as well 5 hours prior to that. So the shampoo or body wash might not be the cause.

I had wonton soup and dim sum at SKL. I had same things the day before. I had satay on board. And I don't have nut allergy.

The only thing different and something new I took, was the lozenges for coughing that I bought from Watson's.

I said embarassing because it's all those reds on my face. Not really feasible, but all the bumps would attract attention. I try to spend most of my time on my seat. I had my lunch, and drank water only. Before landing at NRT, I went to the loo. The red has gone, just the bumps.

I did not take any lozenges anymore for the next segment to LAX. I drank Krug. And it seems no red rash anymore.

Am I reasonable enough to think that the lozenges was the cause of the rash? I read the info slip in the box:
    PRECAUTIONS AND WARNINGS
    1. Patients with high fever, skin rash (allergy), headache, nausea or vomitting should consult a physician.
    Anyway, I am here in NZ Lounge at LAX. Been checking my face, and it looks fine. Of course, the rash embarassment made me less enjoying my flights! Hope I learn better from this experience for next trip.
    Cheers...

Many many many years ago, when I was on my very first trip on a ship as an appretice, the most seasoned seaman onboard, the Boatswain Mate said, have a beer, its the all cure....
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I think if your rash was on your face only, it's more likely a direct contact allergy ie your moisturiser, cologne, or scent in moist towelettes eg SQ hot towels.

If it's food or medicine allergy, the rash will more likely appear elsewhere too eg body/limbs.

Just my 2 cents opinion.
      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
        Just my 2 cents opinion.
        In this context, i'd say your opinion was worth quite a few cents more than just 2

Hope you feel better soon though SQ_LPP

Comment

Try some Fisherman's Choice those always help me when I have a cough. I don't know if it contains Lozenge.

Other than that I always have this candy from the Chinese Herbal stores called "Golden Throat" they do contain Lozenge. Up to you if you want to try this one. This candy contains Momordica Fruit, Red Tangerine Peel, Menthol, Honeysuckle Flower, Chinese White Olive, Anise Oil, and Eucalyptus Oil. Maybe it is one of these ingredients that you are allergic to, hope this helps you narrow down to the root source of your allergy.

Comment

I think if your rash was on your face only, it's more likely a direct contact allergy ie your moisturiser, cologne, or scent in moist towelettes eg SQ hot towels.

If it's food or medicine allergy, the rash will more likely appear elsewhere too eg body/limbs.

Just my 2 cents opinion.
            The rash was on my face and neck.
            How long long it takes usually from the time of the contact so that I can think of the time line?
            The moisturizer I used was one of the brand that I used before. And today, I used it, and had no problem.
            I don't use cologne. So we can take that factor out.
            The hot towels' scent is something I haven't thought. After all, before this flight, I was on board SQ the day before doing that SIN-KUL-SIN-CGK-SIN and had no problem.

Thank you for all the reply.

Comment

Glad to know you're better now SQ LPP

Just my 2 cents opinion.
              What SQFG said: its worth way more than 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                What SQFG said: its worth way more than 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                  The rash was on my face and neck.
                  How long long it takes usually from the time of the contact so that I can think of the time line?
                  The moisturizer I used was one of the brand that I used before. And today, I used it, and had no problem.
                  I don't use cologne. So we can take that factor out.
                  The hot towels' scent is something I haven't thought. After all, before this flight, I was on board SQ the day before doing that SIN-KUL-SIN-CGK-SIN and had no problem.

Thank you for all the reply.
                  I would say the rash would appear anytime ranging from almost immediately to up to 2 hours.

If it's on your face and neck only, it HAS to be something that your face and neck were in direct contact with.
                  But it's so hard to say - it could be anything. Maybe some deodorant being sprayed in the lounge, a cleaner emptying a dustbin or dusty vacuum cleaner near you etc.

BTW, I'm gonna bill you for this - times are bad and every cent counts.
                  J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Just my 2 cents opinion.
                    BTW, I'm gonna bill you for this - times are bad and every cent counts.
                    So the bill would be 2 cents?

Comment

Yes, 2 cents - like I said, times are bad.
                      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

I completely agree with upright man and would chalk it up to those not so hot towels.

Reacted to one given to me at a high end Taipei restaurant two weeks ago.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post

I boarded the plane, and had Krug. After taking off, had more Krug. In the mean time I had the urge to cough more than usual. Decided to take one lozenges. ... I drank Krug. And it seems no red rash anymore.

Am I reasonable enough to think that the lozenges was the cause of the rash? ...
                          Its the mixing of alcohol with any medication - that would include lozenges.

Comment

Working...
                          X