Watch stolen at the x-ray machine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch stolen at the x-ray machine!

Well... I was travelling from San Jose to Burbank on Friday (day-trip) and was at the security line when the buzzer went off as I walked through. Realizing I had my watch on, the lady asked me to remove it and since my bags already went through, I put it in one of those little bowls. Usually I remove all my stuff and put inside my carry-on prior to loading the x-ray machine.

Anyways, I walk through, get my bags, put the laptop into the bag, put my belt on, shoes on and jacket on... anyways took a minute or two. I was probably 8 feet from the x-ray machine at this time. Realizing my watch wasn't on, I turned around to look for the bowl... GONE!!

Of course I threw a mini-fit over there and had the police come and got all the phone #'s for TSA.

Freaking unbelievable... $3K watch disappeared within a minute.

Any suggestiong folks?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

This could be tricky. It could be one of the fellow travelers who noticed that there was a nice watch lying around. Most of the TSA checkpoints are monitored. Perhaps you can ask them to review the tapes?

Comment

Sorry to hear, that's bad... I better be careful from now on, I guess.

Comment

That's just terrible, allmotor_2000.

I agree with TerryK: this could very well have been a traveller who couldn't pass up an unguarded watch. I guess this is a cautionary tale for the rest of us. So sorry to hear about your experience.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

allmotor_2000, sorry to hear about your loss.

What I normally do is to put valuable items into my bag prior to the X-Ray scan. Sometimes despite my best intention, some thing goes awry. I once left my mobile phone (black coloured) inside the black tray. A quick call from the BA lounge lady to the FCC sorted it out. I had to run very fast - all in 8 mins. Glad I got it back.

Comment

Bit of a bummer... I have a call into TSA, so let's see

Comment

I have travelled > 500K miles in the past 4-5 years and never lost anything anywhere in the world. I usually put everything into my carry-on before it goes through the machine. I actually forgot this time... and voila!

Comment

Originally posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
                I have travelled > 500K miles in the past 4-5 years and never lost anything anywhere in the world. I usually put everything into my carry-on before it goes through the machine. I actually forgot this time... and voila!

But I guess you can claim some form of travel insurance ? (I hope).
                No matter how careful we are, theft might happen while travelling.
                I put my laptop bag on the seat behind my back when I was having lunch at a food court in Kista,Sweden 2 years ago. When I finished lunch and wanted to move off, I realised that my bag has been stolen. Did not realise it at all (neither did my lunch partner who was sitting opposite me !!).

Comment

No response from TSA. I bought the ticket via my corporate AMEX, so let me try that route.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

I hope you'll get your watch (or at least the money) back sooner or later
                    Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Normally you can claim these losses on home insurance. Was the watch on your policy?

Comment

Working...
                      X