Travel related online services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel related online services

I was just wondering what online services people use to make their travels more pleasant ? Here's mine:

Keeping in touch - an e-mail service such as Google Mail (free), Skype (partly free) and instant messaging

Online music (when in a hotel room) - Radio Paradise (free), SomaFM (free) and Digitally Imported Radio (partly free)

Keeping track of where in the world I'm meant to be - BA97 Travel Calendar (free)

Checking flight schedules and flight/award availability - KVS Availability Tool and ExpertFlyer

Booking flights and hotels - Sabre etc

Storing photos to post online - Flickr (partly free)

A paid wifi service - BT Openzone (on a "pay as you go" plan) (but used much much less now that BA lounges in the UK have free wifi and most airports/hotels have an "all you can eat" daily wifi package)

Keeping in touch - my own website's webmail service, Skype; no instant messaging; SMS messages usually sent via Skype. Mobile phone only for calls (actual device is 'ancient' model) and normally seldom used for work after 5pm.

Online music (e.g. when in a hotel room) - usually Galaxy92.gr (free), but also SIA radio.

Keeping track of where in the world I'm meant to be - Google Earth; also registered in BA97 Travel Calendar, but don't actually use it.

Checking flight schedules and flight/award availability - none used yet.

Booking flights and hotels - Airlines & hotels websites at the moment (and seldomly my TA).

Storing photos to post online - My website's server storage space and also Photobucket.

Internet/WiFi service on the go - none used yet.
    Last edited by N_Architect; 17 December 2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Keeping in touch - Skype, MSN Messenger, Facebook, StudiVZ, SQTalk (!)

Online music - YouTube

Keeping track of where in the world I'm meant to be - BA97, My.Flightmemory

Checking flight schedules and flight/award availability - ANA Tool, Check my trip, Seatcounter

Booking flights and hotels - always airline / hotel websites. Priceline.

Storing photos to post online - .mac, flickr

Internet/WiFi service on the go - nopes.
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Keeping in Touch - Skype, Facebook, email.

Online music - none I have all of my music on my ipod and laptop

Keeping track of where in the world I'm meant to be - My work Lotus Notes diary

Checking flight schedules/availability - ANA tool

Booking flights, hotels - Airlines and hotels websites. Sometimes online TAs

Photo storage - Flickr

Destination reserch - Trip advisor, Lonely Planet

Internet/Wifi service on the go - None
        Last edited by Lobster; 18 December 2008, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I'd be interested if there are any other categories of online services which people use to make their travel easier but which hasn't occurred to me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            I'd be interested if there are any other categories of online services which people use to make their travel easier but which hasn't occurred to me yet.
            One online service I use is the weather forecast at my destination. I use the Beeb's weather website.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I use google maps in order to find my way to the hotel or the place I am staying at. =)
              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Keeping in touch: MSN messenger and Yahoo! Messenger

Online Music - Nova FM Melbourne , plus I have what i need on my iPod anyway

Keeping track of where in the world I'm meant to be - Outlook calendar

Checking flight schedules and flight/award availability - Expertflyer, ITAsoftware, SQ desktop PC, got a soft copy of OAG at work, or go upstairs to travel agent

Internet/Wifi on the go - used to use a Maxis Malaysia HSDPA service, but ditched that when i realised there was no point in trying to read a laptop in a moving car

Comment

Keeping in touch - an e-mail service such as Google Mail (free), Company's e-mail.. MSN with family on video... phone, SMS..... for me, if I need to call, I just use my mobile phone and call...... many times on the road, I do not have easy access to the internet.... just pick up the blardy phone and call....

Online music (when in a hotel room) - Don't listen much, but when I get a connection, it is usually radio service from Singapore Mediacorps.... watch Channel News Asia live, where available....

Keeping track of where in the world I'm meant to be - NA

Checking flight schedules and flight/award availability - Call my travel agent in Singapore, we only uses a TA with 24 hours support for our travel planning.

Booking flights and hotels - call TA in Singapore, and also local agents if needed..

Storing photos to post online - Photobucket.

I am looking for a software that can connect two notebook pc to on single wifi connection. Me uses a company's notebook and usually will bring my own eeePC, but at times, when you pay for a wifi connection, you can only connect one notebook and that's it. You cannot log out and connected the other. Wonder if there's such a software. Some hotels uses lan cable, so it is only on connect point, could a splitter be used for sharing?
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I think that if both pc's have bluetooth capability, something can be done in transfering data between them. Otherwise, you can take advantage of the wireless capability of both pc's and establish a network between them.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                      I am looking for a software that can connect two notebook pc to on single wifi connection. Me uses a company's notebook and usually will bring my own eeePC, but at times, when you pay for a wifi connection, you can only connect one notebook and that's it. You cannot log out and connected the other. Wonder if there's such a software.
                      There is such software - it's called Windows, Mac OS X or whatever you run! It's setup like this:

Notebook A is connected to the Internet using a hotel's wifi or network cable.

Niotebook A is configured to act as a router, e.g. in Windows XP, you turn on Internet Connection Sharing (ICS):

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...XPUnwired.html

Or for Mac OS X:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/26/how-t...-a-nat-router/

With ICS or whatever turned on, Notebook B connects to the Internet via Notebook A (acting as a router) using whatever you use to connect the two notebooks, e.g. wifi, a network cable, Bluetooth, a USB cable etc.

(I haven't got round to it yet but I'll setup my MacBook to be a router. It means that when I'm in a hotel, I'll connect my MacBook to the Internet and I can then use my mobile phone which has Voice Over IP (VOIP) built-in (a Nokia N95 with a VOIP service like Truphone) to make (and receive) cheap phone calls over the Internet rather than paying expensive hotel rates, i.e. my mobile phone connects to the Intenet via my MacBook.)

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                      Some hotels uses lan cable, so it is only on connect point, could a splitter be used for sharing?
                      That won't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X