Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Immigration / Visa

Hi there!

Yesterday, I was about to book up my NY trip in February. Unfortunately I couldn't because the Department of Homeland Security requires data off you they did not need about a year ago like my passport number. I did not have it with me so I thought that I will just book up the trip today or so.

Anyway, the "new" American immigration policy got me thinking: I've booked a trip to LA in August for next year in April when I was not required to give bmi (redemption booking) my passport number. What do I have to do now? I guess it's probably not too good if I just enter the US without having given them my data ... is there an online registration site for this?

Thanks!
    Home is where your heart is.

Hey Flo,

Take a look at http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/Util...up.jsp?msgId=3

Pre-Travel Authorization Program for US-Bound Travellers from Visa Waiver Countries

16 December 2008

US-bound customers from visa waiver countries will soon be required to obtain pre-travel authorization via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

This new online system is expected to be added to the Visa Waiver Program on 12 January 2009.

With ESTA, citizens from countries under the Visa Waiver Program will no longer be required to complete a written form providing basic person, travel and eligibility information while en-route to the US. Instead, these information will have to be provided online under ESTA, at least 72 hours before departure for the US.

Once approved, ESTA applications will be valid for up to two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. Authorizations are valid for multiple entries into the US.

Accompanied and unaccompanied children, regardless of age, will also be required to obtain an independent ESTA authorization.

Travellers from countries under the Visa Waiver Program who fail to obtain ESTA authorization after the system comes into effect, may be denied boarding, experience delayed processing, or be denied admission at a US port of entry.

Voluntary Applications

US authorities have started to accept voluntary applications through the ESTA website, at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

However, until ESTA is made mandatory in January 2009, all US-bound travellers from countries under the Visa Waiver Program will still be required to complete a written form for presentation at a US port of entry.

matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Separately from the new pre-travel authorisation requirement which matt_will_fix_it has mentioned, it's been a requirement for a long time now that the airline collect API (Advance Passenger Information) - including your passport number - and send that to the US authorities before you arrive, e.g.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...o/public/en_gb

Comment

oh okay ... but i am fairly certain that i did not have to give bmi my passport number.

so i should just go the ESTA website and pre-register, right?
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
          oh okay ... but i am fairly certain that i did not have to give bmi my passport number.

so i should just go the ESTA website and pre-register, right?
          If you have not provided it earlier they collect the API data at check in. However most airlines try to get you to provide the data earlier so that it does not slow down the check in process.

Comment

Hi guys, I too have a similar question:

I do have a "new" passport issue year 2005, but without biometrical data, do I have to have a passport with it, or is this one sufficient for going to the US?

I read that link that matt_will_fix_it posted, and there it says that it is ok when the pass was issued before a certain date, which is the case with my passport .. but still I am not 100% certain if this will be ok ^^;

Comment

Please check with the US embassy for Austrian passport but based on a SIN-issused passport, so long as its machine-readable, meaning its got the 2 lines of symbols and letters at the bottom edge of your passport, its OK to use. I got into US last month with a 1999 issued passport but it had those 2 lines at the bottom.

Comment

2003 SIN passport with two lines (of info and <<<<<) as 9V-JKL mentioned. This passport is valid when I scan it through the self-check-in machines in FRA and JFK.

Filled up the ESTA form on-line three days before travel. Took less than 5 mins. I can't remember if I made a print-out of the form but I definitely took down the application number.

Got into the US ok. Had a nice chat with the immigration officer about air miles and shopping.

Comment

Definitely write down the application number as ESTA does not email you a confirmation. If you wish to travel again to USA within the 2 year validity and modify the address details, you will need the application number.

Be sure to register well in advance of travel. They won't accept applications less than 3 days before departure, and if you happen to be declined then you will need a visa to enter USA (which normally takes much more than 3 days to get).

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                    Definitely write down the application number as ESTA does not email you a confirmation. If you wish to travel again to USA within the 2 year validity and modify the address details, you will need the application number.

Be sure to register well in advance of travel. They won't accept applications less than 3 days before departure, and if you happen to be declined then you will need a visa to enter USA (which normally takes much more than 3 days to get).
                    I strongly echo Kiwi's recommendations. I myself am keeping those ESTA details for all my travels to the US. The application number doesn't lend itself to being committed to the memory of ordinary mortals like me.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                    X