No announcement yet.

Lugging home a KitchenAid as checked baggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wasn't so much of picking a colour, but mainly due to keeping one machine spotlessly grease free - oil wrecks meringue which i frequently use for nougats and other confections

red acts like a reminder that i should not be mixing anything with grease in it

Comment

Originally posted by planemad View Post
      ...my next query. What kind of transformer are you using to work the KitchenAid here in SIN? Is it really as ugly as nickbot makes it out to be on this link http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13358

That's one mighty UGLY looking transformer!
      Whoa, that is one mother of a transformer nickbot! Anyone out there who knows what sort of transformer I'll need to work a US electric product in Singapore?
      Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
      holy cow, i've seen lunchpales smaller than that converter!
      He he, yes the transformer is indeed somewhat lacking in the aesthetic stakes (and certainly not befitting for the doubtlessly stylish kitchen of a certain well dressed SQTalker ) -it serves merely as an illustration of the kind of product you will have to consider buying

IIRC, as SIN and the UK use the same voltage/frequency and plug/socket type, a transformer such as that shown in the Maplin link would be suitable, but is dependent upon the power consumption of the unit as mentioned previously.

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
        Oh shucks totally forgot about that part as the electrical circuit at home is dual voltage in the kitchen (got it custom fitted as I use to have lots of US electrical items).

I use the Pro 600 ones, rated at 575 watts. Unless you have space to hide the hideous transformer, there appears to be no way out on the issue. Better off buying it local than to blow your house's electrical circuit, it might be cheaper - after adding the cost of the transformer to the US unit.

Instead of a KitchenAid, you could also look up Kenwood mixers which are equally robust (I started off with that, and must admit that the KitchenAid were merely chosen because of aesthetics and noise level). If your wife doesn't use it frequently the Kenwoods (especially the Chef model with stainless steel bowl - buy an extra bowl) make a good alternative. They are a good 25% - 30% cheaper.
        Thanks leo. So much for cost savings in these tough times! Looks like we'll end up buying the KitchenAid in Singapore. My wife has her heart set on the KitchenAid so I dont think the Kenwood is going to cut it. I will check out the transformer first at an electrical supply shop just to be sure. nickbot, thanks for the heads-up on this.

Comment

Went through this dilemma a few years back, at the end of the day a transformer would suck in the kitchen. Prices are obscene here compared to the USA but they last a lifetime so we just brought here. All the accessories though we grab in the states.

Comment

Can't believe the level of interest this gadget attracts!

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
              .. first off, those things are incredibly well built, and they are packaged very well. I have never had a problem with anything just by getting a fragile sticker tacked on.
              Was there a continuation (from 'first off')?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                Was there a continuation (from 'first off')?
                you are absolutely correct. it should read: first off, those things are incredibly well-built. second, they are packaged very well.

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
                  Can't believe the level of interest this gadget attracts!
                  Yes, quite. There must be many food aficionados out there.

Comment

Food aficionados... that must be a euphemism for 'greedy buggers', eh?

Comment

Epicureans... hungry ghosts...

The colour range from KitchenAid matches Aga and Lacanche cookers.

Comment

i love them SMEG range and ovens.. but i have a rational combi at home tho :S

Comment

Originally posted by leo
                          red acts like a reminder that i should not be mixing anything with grease in it
                          Good way to remember!
                          Don't forget the grammar police.

Comment

Working...
                          X