How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
    The more I think of how simple it is to start with, the more eager I am to get into it. It's just a matter of when for me, now... I believe the first slide I'll develop, scan and publish should be posted and dedicated to you here in this board, nickbot!
    You're too kind N_Architect

Whilst I can say it is simple, there *are* some fiddly bits (namely loading the film onto the spiral), but these can easily be practised outside of the daylight changing bag with a length of scrap 35mm. The other advantage of processing your own film that I used to enjoy was that I could easily transfer my skills to 110 (v.small), 126 (odd!) and 120 (med format) film - this meshed quite nicely with yet another hobby I used to have, which was collecting antique cameras. It's again quite a fulfilling experience to pick up an old Box Brownie (not an SLR I'm afraid ), shoot some film with it, and then develop the photos.

Any advice you need, I'd be only too happy to help. I may well be picking your brains (and those of other SQTalkers of course) about the purchase of a DSLR in the not too distant future, although camera funds are a little limited at present!

EDIT A quick Google search revealed the following link, which might serve to whet your appetite
    Last edited by nickbot; 20 October 2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Wing Shing Photo perhaps?

Enjoy your new camera.

Spot on ! Got all my gears from there throughout the years !
      When the going gets tough, the tough go travelling ...

Comment

• Played around with my cameras just now and thought of posting some pictures here for comparison ... just for fun ... all photos here are unprocessed ...

Nikon D80 with Sigma 50mm F/1.4 versus Lumix GF1 with Lumix 20mm F/1.7

Size

Nikon D80 (taken by GF1)

GF1 (taken by D80)

Side by side (taken by Samsung ST550)

Output (sorry the WB output may not be the same ...)

Nikon D80 with Sigma 50mm, mostly at F/1.6 or F/1.4:

Lumix GF1 with Lumix 20mm, mostly at F/1.7

Bought this P&S camera for my sister who just gave birth, Samsung ST550 ... love the double screen feature, especially when it plays the cartoon clip, which is to attract kid's attention ...

Size comparison between the ST550 and GF1

Last edited by Flyerfly; 20 October 2009, 10:53 PM. Reason: To add photos ...
        When the going gets tough, the tough go travelling ...

Comment

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post
          You're too kind N_Architect A quick Google search revealed the following link, which might serve to whet your appetite
          Thank you, Mr. nickbot. And, yes, generally I am too kind. We are what we are, and can't really change it, you know...

Originally posted by Flyerfly View Post
          Spot on ! Got all my gears from there throughout the years !
          I thought it wouldn't be, but I gave it a shot as this is where I get my gear from as well!!!

Comment

• Ahem...

I need to say smt else here as well.

I am glad, dear fellow SQTalkers, I must say, that a particular member of this board (with a three-small letter handle) is not particularly talkative lately here. [of course when I say lately this means few hours or perhaps a day, as it can't last longer ]

Why?

Because this means he is... ...out taking pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[KEEP SHOOTING, my friend
            KEEP SHOOTING
            KEEP SHOOTING
            KEEP SHOOTING
            KEEP SHOOTING
            KEEP SHOOTING
            KEEP SHOOTING
            KEEP SHOOTING
            KEEP SHOOTING]

[ = don't dare put your new D700 down]

P.S. If you forgotten how to post, please PM me or ask phaleesy for Christ's sake...

Comment

• So Canon is still keeping that crappy little button for selecting AF points on the Mark IV. I wish they'd give us a more satisfactory joystick like the Nikon D3!

Don't know why these camera manufacturers like to think that we are all aspiring Woody Allens and Sofia Coppolas. I just want to take photos, not really interested in recording videos.

Still, am pretty happy with the supposedly improved AF and ISO performance.

Really impatient for the Ds now, hopefully it'd be announced in Feb and available by March/April next year.

Comment

• gf and I visited a wedding in Sentosa last Thu night... then I headed off to Melbourne for another wedding that night! (will post pics from the Melbourne wedding later)... here are a few shots from Sentosa...

the slideshow is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hafid/s...08476941/show/

blog

Comment

• Looks like the girls and haf had a great time!

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyerfly View Post
                    Got myself a GF1 with 20mm F1.7 last weekend from a trusted (personal experience) camera shop in Mongkok HK for HK$7,390.
                    Congrats on the purchase!

I picked up a GF1 (in the light metallic red colour) with the same lens yesterday and so far I'm loving it. It's light, small (a camera to carry anywhere in a coat or bag unlike a SLR) and feels ressuringly solid (apart from the control dial on the back which feels cheap).

I also like the features which (as far as I know - I haven't read my DSLR manual) I can't get on my D700 - in particular, manual focusing on the LCD screen seems very easy. My eyesight is not good but the GF1 magnifies a portion of the picture and the LCD is bright, clear and detailed. I'm intrigued by the possibility of buying the Panasonic adapter and attaching a (manual focus of course) secondhand excellent Leica M or R lens (or something like a cheaper Voigtlander). Somebody tried it here and seems very happy. A relatively cheap 50mm lens would become a nice 100mm with the x2 crop factor. Or even the 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux!
                    Last edited by jhm; 24 October 2009, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• SLR w/50 f/1.4 lens compared to GF1 w/40 (equivalent) f/1.7 lens

Comment

• There is a rumor for a new Nikon D800 out (24Mp, 3fps, $3,300, available 12/2009).

Comment

There is a rumor for a new Nikon D800 out (24Mp, 3fps, $3,300, available 12/2009).
                          That sounds like the D700x which has been expected (either that or a D700s with low light capability like the new D3s).

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            That sounds like the D700x which has been expected (either that or a D700s with low light capability like the new D3s).
                            I think yes, this is probably the case. I got it here anyway.

Comment

• For those keen on the Panny Lumix DMC-GF1. The red cam in jhm's post.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...review/compare

Comment

• Just wondering if anyone has heard any whispers about a 5DMkIII release date? Some 7D features on a new 5D body would be just about perfect.

I'm thinking now a perfect setup might be a 1Dmk4 (x1.3) for moving subjects and a 5DmkIII for general touristy stuff and macro work. A 5D body is so much smaller and easier to carry around when one is on holiday.

Any thoughts and advice?

P.S. Was just thinking how one would have to pay a lot more £££ for a FF 1Ds, when a 5D could do a similar job (e.g. photo of the LHR SKL) for less money. A x1.3 1D would in fact be advantageous if one was photographing animals or sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X