How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    OMG.... look at all those red lined cylindrical objects! A tilt shift too!
    & if you are in Japan, there are a group of photograhers that having their annual seminar to talking about how well they shot planes...
    http://flickr.com/photos/bbw1150/2835495443/

Comment

Canon EOS Digital Kiss X (400D I think it is). Paid 2000 yen for it because I was the 100th customer at Bic on that particular day.

EF-S 10-22
      EF 24-105L
      EF 28mm f1.4
      EF 50mm f1.4
      EF 100mm macro

(2x kit lenses that I don't use 18-55 and a 55-200 i think)

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalker View Post
        Turn your ISO to the 3200 or 6400 in order to increase the speed of the shutter.
        The 450D does not have a H1 or H2 mode, so 1600 is as far as it will go

Comment

Take the latest Canon EF-S 18-200 on board should cover everything from cabin interior shots to air-to-air shots.
          I think for all in one lens, can actually consider the new Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF. Supposedly better colour, contrast and general image quality than the Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS. Price wise is also slightly cheaper.

& if you are in Japan, there are a group of photograhers that having their annual seminar to talking about how well they shot planes...
          http://flickr.com/photos/bbw1150/2835495443/
          Omg...

Comment

Just a note, as I see we have few people with Olympus DSLRs.

Vivid colors, much better in color reproduction than Canon or Nikon bodies, slightly different format (more squarish, some love it while others don't), but big problem with noise (at least in the early models, e.g. E-1).

For information on anything relating to photography, the sites I usually refer to are as follows (given with order of frequency of visits):

dpreview.com - bought by Amazon.com last year, interesting editors reviews and pictures, forums used to be great up until few years ago (Thomas Knoll, one of the original Adobe Photoshop developers used to contribute there as well) but now they have been slightly cannibalized, so be aware.

fredmiranda.com

kenrockwell.com - primarily a Nikon user; he has a lot of useful info, especially if one is a beginner, but many of non-technical things he says have to be treated with care.

I use few other sites as well, but these are the main ones I keep going back to since 2002.

Comment

Here are some of my G9 ISO3200 shots on SQ2 arriving HKG:

View from Tseung Kwan O look out at the Victoria Harbour

Shatin Shing Mun River with the HK Jockey Club Race Course, bank left 90 degree for the final approach

View from Tai Mo Shan, the tallest mountain in HK, another look at the Victoria Harbour, also start lining up the runway 25R

Tsing Ma Bridge (part of the Airport Express)

Kap Shiu Mun Bridge (part of the Airport Express)

Enclosed the aeronautical chart for landing in 25R for your reference

TPE Int'l Airport, H shape Terminal with 2 runways, took off & turn-around, also G9 ISO3200
              Last edited by SQTalker; 12 November 2008, 05:57 PM.

Comment

SQ2 took off from HKG runway 07R

Kwai Chung Container Port

West Kowloon

Victoria Harbour

You still can barely see IFC II erect from Central

SQ1 took off from SFO, Bay Bridge

Sunset & Richmond district with Golden Gate Park

Golden Gate Bridge

Heading out the Pacific Ocean...
                Last edited by SQTalker; 12 November 2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

There is a Canon EF1200mm lens which comes special order only and costs around $80k. Canon made their telephoto lens white in order for their avg temperature to increase as less as possible during outdoor use (desert, football fields, etc.) on hot summer days.

Canon's "IS" system works in two ways, vertically and horizontally. The new 70-400/4L USM IS has the latest 4th generation IS system. On the other hand, I have heard that Nikon's "VR" equivalent is Canon's IS, however in one direction only (vertical). Reportedly Nikon paid a premium for the rights to Canon and has used the system ever since to its telephoto range.

Now, on the use of filters as protectors. Some say that filters should not be used at all for this purpose, as even the best or most expensive filter is definitely less sophisticated than the very front element of your lens (especially if you use expensive glass). People who share this opinion claim that adding a tiny piece of 'protector' or 'UV' Hoya (or whatever else) $50 glass in front of your lens can only make things worse, picture quality-wise. They also believe that if you accidentally drop the camera, the very front element of your lens will probably be shattered but can be replaced if later sent to Canon/Nikon/etc. service center. The general idea and belief here is that your lens hood is the main protection element - a $25 lens hood is actually the best protection for your lens. Others argue that they would never take out a $1-2k piece of glass without protection of the front element, hence they always use a protector filter.

Comment

Originally posted by fimo View Post
                    Anyhoo - I have my photos in flickr, let my pro account lapse last year and haven't gotten around to renewing it so only the most recent 200 are visible.
                    A real NGS quality pictures .... Are you a contributor for them??
                    Awesome!!!!

Comment

Wow.

Comment

I'm using Nikon D80 with standard 18-135mm lens.. comes with the package hehehe.. bought in Japan at a very good deal 2 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                          A real NGS quality pictures .... Are you a contributor for them??
                          Awesome!!!!
                          Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          Wow, fimo, I love your food pics!
                          Thanks! With digital there's no extra cost to snap away, which helps!

What about everybody else? I was hoping that my post would trigger others to post links or photos too!

Comment

Originally posted by fimo View Post
                            I was hoping that my post would trigger others to post links or photos too!
                            paiseh la

Comment

Okay ... I've been posting a lot of photos of my travels ... basically, just taking pictures with your dSLR makes them surprisingly sharp and good looking.

I've got a question though: I never really cared about how to take good pictures, I just took them, had a motive and re-edited parts on my computer. Is there any tutorial / site on how to properly take photos? I have for instance absolutely no clue about ISO stuff and shutter speed nor about correct lighting. =) *embarrassed*

- How do I take better pictures when it's dark outside? Like city shots from the plane when it's night.

- What can I do in order to take shots of planes when it's dark outside (and I am about to board or so)? I could not take good shots of the A380 I took when I flew to SYD because it was too dark.

- When it's dark outside and I take pictures, they sometimes get like totally greasy/pixely. Is there something I can do against that?

- I've seen a photo on airliners.net that impressed me: a plane - totally sharp at takeoff ... and the background was all speedy and distorted. Any ideas there?

Thanks
                              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Sounds like a bit of AF Servo there...

Comment

Working...
                                X