No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I've reached a point where I seem quite reluctant to say 'no' to new experiences. The shutter sound in the Alpha mirrorless dSLR series pleases me a lot, plus the ergonomics of the body and the Zeiss 35/2.8 quality.

There's the new NX30 (Samsung) in the pipeline for me as well, and we'll have to see about a 5D Mk III since the grey price just dropped below S$3,500.

Overall the Leica is still left for when the new Monochrome comes out, or at least that's the plan at the moment. Re the A7R, I reckon there's not so much need for the zillions of pixel horsepower.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
      ... and we'll have to see about a 5D Mk III since the grey price just dropped below S$3,500.
      This is an incredible machine despite its hefty weight and size. Makes a pro look pro consistently, and also helps a so-so amateur look like pro too without trying too hard.

Comment

• Very first impressions on the Alpha 7:

What I like:
        - the shape, feel and handling comfort of body and grip
        - the very low weight
        - the ergonomics are good to very good
        - the apparent quality of jpegs so far
        - the menu is not confusing
        - the Zeiss 35/2.8 lens appears to be very sharp
        - the unique lens hood, lovely and highly practical design
        - the fast charging of the batteries, with LED bar indicators in the (had to be purchased extra) charger
        - the viewfinder, better than that of the GX7
        - the focus ability, quite accurate and locks well despite not being the fastest
        - the solidly locking on/off button and M/A/S/etc. wheel on top
        - the shutter sound, relatively loud and mechanical sound-resembling

What I dislike:
        - the apparent issue with sensor mirror fringing, when an intense light source is involved in the shot (night or day); simply unacceptable, read about it last night, having already bought the camera...
        - it's not a 1DX, 5D III or M (and it will never be)
        - paid RRP for almost all items purchased
        - sensor alternating between viewfinder and liveview is too sensitive
        - awkward positioning of the three Custom buttons
        - the reviews which say this camera is best for RAW files and not jpegs

Please note this is only a very first comment-style post on a camera I have not yet really tried out in the field; opinions stated are simply very first and preliminary impressions and nothing more.

Comment

• Reviving a slightly old thread...

I was just wondering what photo equipment people take on their - general (not specifically for photography) - travels ?

For a long time, I've made do with my trusty iPhone and nothing else but recently I thought that's a bit of a waste so I'm currently using the following:

* Mirrorless camera (in my case, an "ancient" Panasonic GF1) + quick release L-plate
          * A superzoom (equivalent to 28-280mm f3.5-5.6) when out and about + a pancake (equivalent to 40mm f/1.7) for indoors
          * Travel carbon fibre tripod + ball head
          * A padded wrap for some extra protection for the camera when inside a rollaboard

Walking around town, the camera and 2 lenses fit into a large coat pocket and I'm just left carrying a light tripod, so it doesn't shout (much) mug me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
            * Travel carbon fibre tripod + ball head
            + 12cm long sharp spikes (which I got from the Slovenian chap mentioned here) - very useful if out in the countryside and if in a city (assuming you don't get arrested...) useful for making any mugger think again!

Comment

• I belong to the kiasu type.

Canon 5d3
              Canon 70-200 f4
              Tamron 24-70 f2.8
              Canon 16-35 f2.8
              Canon 50 f1.8
              580ex2 flash + accessories
              Feisol carbon fibre tripod & ballhead
              Wired and wireless remotes
              A couple of filters - ND & Polarizer
              Cleaning stuff - air blower, brush, alcohol, cloth
              Sony rx100ii as a backup

I only bring out my entire set at sunrise, sunset and evenings. When I do sightseeing during the day, I just carry the body plus the 24-70, unless I specifically know I doing something special that requires a specific lens.

Originally posted by jhm
              + 12cm long sharp spikes (which I got from the Slovenian chap mentioned here) - very useful if out in the countryside and if in a city (assuming you don't get arrested...) useful for making any mugger think again!
              Never used them. Most of the time I just hang my camera bag on the tripod to give it more weight and lower the centre of gravity. Mugger can't run very far with my type of equipment. I give him 100m before he collapses from the weight. Also I don't use the original Canon strap ... way too eye-catching. Tried Blackrapid but finally settled on PeakDesign strap and clip.

Comment

I was just wondering what photo equipment people take on their - general (not specifically for photography) - travels ?
                Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                I belong to the kiasu type.
                I hate to think what you bring if you go out specifically for photography!

Comment

I hate to think what you bring if you go out specifically for photography!
                  The Canon 70-200 2.8 as well. My wife gives me the stare at first but after I took a few portraits of her, she is now my "caddie".

I don't get much time to indulge in photography, so it's only when I have vacations! When I travel for work, I just carry the rx100ii - it's a great super compact, just don't expect to shoot from the hip.

Comment

• Since this thread has been resurrected....

Anyone tempted to get something from the new Canon range?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/034...essions-review

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                      Since this thread has been resurrected....

Entertaining comments in the link.

I have an old EOS 5D which I barely use now, and although this new one does look rather tempting, I think I'll pass until I see a sensible price.

Comment

• Sony Mirrorless A7II… amazing stuff..

Comment

• jhm, I manage to fit my main shooter body (you know what it is, so I won't mention) and three primes; a rather chunky 50mm, tele 90mm and 24mm into a small Crumpler Sebang Outpost. It has space for a few batteries, and other bits and bobs in the front compartment, and a rather chunky (for the bag, although in reality rather slim) 10,400 or 12,000mah spare battery to charge one or two USB devices rapidly.

I brought those and a fair tripod on my Iceland/UK trip in 2013 when I met you also. Quite manageable! In fact it's gotten heavier since, but the bag remains the same size...

(agreed with Handiman - nice to see you're enjoying it and heard you got a good price for it, lol, A7ii is a good camera, can't wait for the A7sii)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                            Since this thread has been resurrected....

The big standout of these two seems to be the 50mp. I don't need this size, and I don't think many of us do unless we happen to put up a billboard. The plus of course is that it allows a lot of cropping. Am going to see what the Mk IV is going to be like in August.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                              jhm, I manage to fit my main shooter body (you know what it is, so I won't mention) and three primes; a rather chunky 50mm, tele 90mm and 24mm into a small Crumpler Sebang Outpost.
                              For my m4/3 compact, I have 35mm prime equivalents of 40mm and 90mm (both small sized and fast lenses). I was thinking of adding a wide angle and then seeing how I go with these alone. Camera in one coat pocket and lenses in the other or - as you suggest - a shoulder/sling bag. Hopefully quite manageable (and discreet) as you say!

Comment

• I guess the coat option is more practical for the weather you get where you are

Comment

Working...
                                X