No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the X100s, but I think I will wait awhile, it's unfortunately a nice to have at the moment.

Comment

• Leica & Panasonic New Releases

Lots of buzz this month about these two new releases. I find it hilarious that Panasonic went from the GX1 to the GX7 because they thought there was such a radical change.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/Panaso...eb10984895.htm

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/tag/leica-m-240/

N_Architect, you jumping on board the Leica train NOW?
      HUGE AL

Comment

• Am seeing a lot of drooling (me included) in photography circles over the Sony RX-100ii. Am planning to replace my ageing Olympus XZ-1 with something just as compact for both pics and vids. Has anyone here played around with it? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          ... GX1 ... GX7 ...

N_Architect, you jumping on board the Leica train NOW?
          Nope, not yet. Would be nice, but I think the more I wait the greater the improvement will be in their cameras and sensors. Besides, I have plenty of bodies and lenses to play around for a while...

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Am seeing a lot of drooling (me included) in photography circles over the Sony RX-100ii. Am planning to replace my ageing Olympus XZ-1 with something just as compact for both pics and vids. Has anyone here played around with it? Thanks.
          Never played with that one, but 29th and 30th of August I'll be in Yodobashi Fukuoka again, so if I get a chance to check them out I'll let you know (time when you're inside these stores is never enough...)

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
            ?..the more I wait the greater the improvement will be in their cameras and sensors.
            I do believe this is true with all cameras.
            HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              I do believe this is true with all cameras.
              The real question is whether you are jumping on the Leica train now, or sticking with your beloved Panasonic???

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                The real question is whether you are jumping on the Leica train now, or sticking with your beloved Panasonic???
                You know me -- I'm always on the move (but more for fun now).

I truly appreciate Leica and its rangefinder line. This new M has me intrigued, as it's a radical departure from the former purist direction they were taking. When Samy's on Fairfax gets it in to their Leica department, I'll check it out.

That said, the Light Speed AF on the GX1 is AMAZING. I can't count how many times waiters/other people have messed up shots I've asked them to take because they didn't know how to use a slower AF. Couple that with the many add-ons of the GX7 -- not to mention the price -- and it makes it a serious contender for a purchase.

As I believe N_Architect was trying to say, purchasing a camera now is not the best time as the industry is rapidly changing. However, I do think now is a better climate than it was a year ago, when Micro 4/3 was trying to figure itself out...and I REALLY could do with a new model.

How are you liking your new Fuji?
                HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                  Am seeing a lot of drooling (me included) in photography circles over the Sony RX-100ii. Am planning to replace my ageing Olympus XZ-1 with something just as compact for both pics and vids. Has anyone here played around with it? Thanks.
                  I haven't used one, but I have read some reviews that said there is a lag between rotating the dial and the camera changing modes. The DoF on the RX-100i is great, however I have no need to replace my Canon S100 which easily fits in my pocket.

Looks like a great cam, and sensor is large for a compact, if you don't want a DSLR or mirrorless interchangable, then it would be good.

Comment

• In all honesty, last time I played around with my latest Fuji (that is the X100S) was couple of months back...

Been playing again with few of my Canons, lately. Don't know why, switched suddenly back to heavy equipment. Last time in Japan I tried the EF 100 IS USM macro lens, tried it on the wristwatch I was wearing and that blew me away completely. What a piece of glass that is, for close-ups of course.

So I've bought an extra battery for my (outdated though truly minty) 1D Mk II N, then a fourth battery for my 5D Mk II and 60D (they share the same battery), got a NOS grip for my 5D II as well (off eBay), so you get my drift...

While in Yodobashi Fukuoka a month back I was looking again at the 1D X (let Kyo+ enjoy the Leica, once you get to hear the 1D shutter sound all can change...)

Now I'm back to Fukuoka next week, on what looks to be my last trip to this wonderful country for the time being (relocating to SIN mid-October). Surely there will be a visit in the lenses/cameras floor at Yodobashi, but on the same floor there are the watches, and there are some JDM models I need to look for (been intensely buying watches over the last couple of years, from Rolex, Grand Seiko and IWCs to JDM Citizens and Seikos).

So we'll see. And then you come along and ask about the poor X100S that (still, sadly) doesn't get enough shooting time. Can't keep everyone happy!

Last edited by N_Architect; 23 August 2013, 08:32 AM. Reason: Edited text.

Comment

• Originally posted by ozdude View Post
                      Looks like a great cam, and sensor is large for a compact, if you don't want a DSLR or mirrorless interchangable, then it would be good.
                      I have managed to get my hands on one while in the US, and it's a great little camera. Size wise, it is as compact as a S100 except for the slight protrusion (less than a cm, I would estimate) of the lens. Bright lens, great close-up macro and of course the DoF is also excellent. Can definitely fit into a shirt or jeans pocket, without looking like i just had a breast implant or excited. I already own a Canon 7d and the 5d3 but sometimes I find them very difficult to lug around especially when I'm on business travel. My interest is in having a good compact that gives me as close as a dSLR quality as possible.

Comment

• Update:

- Been lurking around a variety of camera shops here in S'pore for the past couple of weeks (well, we got the watch purchase out of the way, next gift to self had to be a camera, but which camera, that's the big question...)

- Tried extensively (at least as much as I could) the following:

1. Sony NEX-6 and NEX-7, with a variety of E-mount lenses;
                        2. Sony Alpha 99, with a variety of Alpha mount lenses;
                        3. Panasonic Lumix GX7;
                        4. Panasonic Lumix GH3 (that one was tried in Japan actually, mid-October);
                        5. Canon 70D (ditto in Japan);
                        6. Leica D-Lux 6, M-E, M Monochrome, M (240), M7, MP, M4 (the digital ones thanks to Kyo+ who connected me with the very friendly folks at the Leica boutique in Mandarin Gallery right here next to my office).

- Not that I will not get into the Alpha 99 plus lenses (or) into the Leica game, but for the upcoming holiday season and travels I searched the market here and found the following:

Panasonic Lumix GX7, Panasonic Singapore official promo, GX7 (black or silver) + 20/1.7 ASPH II + original GX7 Panasonic leather case + 2x 16Gb cards (one is class 4, other one class 10), U.S. $1,241 for the lot (incl. GST), purchased from officially authorized dealer. The second SD card and the extra S$100 off were not part of the promo actually, were kindly offered by the dealer.

Panasonic Singapore are running a promo on many cameras (for instance the GH3 body is S$1,699), found the promo .pdf while accessing the Panasonic Singapore website to try getting info on authorized dealers.

The camera is "Made in Japan", btw. Based on the above specifics I think it was a fair choice not passing on the deal. More soon.

Comment

(next gift to self had to be a camera, but which camera, that's the big question...)

There is no question

Comment

Panasonic Lumix GX7, Panasonic Singapore official promo, GX7 (black or silver) + 20/1.7 ASPH II + original GX7 Panasonic leather case + 2x 16Gb cards (one is class 4, other one class 10), U.S. $1,241 for the lot (incl. GST), purchased from officially authorized dealer. The second SD card and the extra S$100 off were not part of the promo actually, were kindly offered by the dealer.

Panasonic Singapore are running a promo on many cameras (for instance the GH3 body is S$1,699), found the promo .pdf while accessing the Panasonic Singapore website to try getting info on authorized dealers.

The camera is "Made in Japan", btw. Based on the above specifics I think it was a fair choice not passing on the deal. More soon.

As discussed, the camera and the 20mm lens only is selling in the USA for USD$1,600 right now.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

• Sony Alpha7 onboard...

Comment

• No A7r love?

And still no little red dot??!

Comment

Working...
                                X