No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon's just announced the 550D. At $799... sure seems like a lot of camera for the money - I'm tempted

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...noneos550d.asp

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Canon's just announced the 550D. At $799... sure seems like a lot of camera for the money - I'm tempted

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...noneos550d.asp
      Thanks for the headsup, I never had a DSLR, used to have an old film SLR but this Canon looks fabulous. I think i might get me one!
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Blobs on images

5 days worth of images marred by dust blobs and animal hair/fur.

I have Photoshop and Lightroom. How do I remove the blobs?

Is there a post processing programme that would allow me to batch automate the process of removing the blobs? Or do I have to go through each image individually to clone the blobs away? So time consuming...

Many thanks.
        Last edited by phaleesy; 27 February 2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Sensor cleaning products

A SFO technician taught me how to clean the sensors myself when I brought my cameras in. I was advised to start doing it myself, instead of running to the shop for help each time I get the blobs.

He recommended the Giotto Rocket (for 1st line cleaning) and a sticky adhesive stick (for 2nd line cleaning).

I came across a rocket thing in YouTube, blower with HEPA filter attached, which seems like a brilliant idea! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSLhhLwbLNc&NR=1 Any thoughts about this product?

Also, what do most people here use for 2nd line cleaning? I came across DustAid but I'm not sure what other similar products anyone here can recommend.

Many thanks.

Comment

• http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Comment

• The solution

What I write here is for Adobe PS CS3.

Procedure for eliminating spots/sensor dust on one go for multiple images:

1. Open all images that need some spot removal in Camera Raw (i.e. in Bridge select all photos, then press Ctrl-R and all of them will open in Camera Raw). First photo will now appear in preview, all others appear in filmstrip along left side.

2. In Camera Raw toolbar, get Zoom tool (Z), click-and-drag out a selection around the point or spot you intend to remove. Click on the Retouch tool (B) from the Camera Raw toolbar. Small options section pops under the toolbar. Click and at the same time hold the tool's cursor in the center of your dust spot and drag outward to expand the size of your tool's effective area of repair until it becomes slightly larger than the dust or hair spot you intend to repair.

3. By releasing your nice little finger off the mouse button, Camera Raw removes the dust spot by sampling a nearby area. If the performed repair is not to your satisfaction, simply sample from a different area (drag the green circle that appears after you remove your nice little finger from the mouse to a different area). Radius of the circle can be changed (use Radius slider, options section). If your dust spot is near the edge/area of another object you can also try Clone to repair.

4. Now: fixing same sensor dust spot to all other pictures that are open, using batch command. Go to filmstrip on left, click 'Select All'. Your preview photo (the one you were working on so far) now appears as the most selected photo and stands out with dark blue border around it. Under the 'Select All' button, click on button named 'Synchronize'. Then choose only 'Spot Removal' from the pop-up menu that will appear - this will turn off (un-check) automatically all other Camera Raw edits. Click 'OK' in the 'Synchronize' dialogue box.

Change is now applied to all photos - bingo.

Good luck, sorry I cannot post pictures to go along with the description here. Hope it works; if not, PM me, I'll prepare something more detailed for you.

Comment

• I don't like the idea of using a brush as a 2nd line treatment. It's just like transferring the dust from one place to another.

Thom Hogan is a Nikon guy and his article is focused on cleaning Nikon products. Interesting news about a Nikon cleaning kit being sold in Japan only.

I'd check if Canon has any cleaning products (available in Japan only) when I'm there next.

Comment

• I met a guy here few months back, sold him my 580 EX. He was working in a colour printing shop (if I remember correctly) and was doing part-time pro photo stuff (stills of products for magazines, etc.) He had a 5D for that (with around 200k shutter actuations...)

He told me that if I would find a used 5D (first gen.), it is generally easier to clean the sensor thoroughly with a variety of methods. He personally uses materials (i.e. cleaning liquids) that people use in the film industry. Don;t know exactly these are, but he offered to show me if I would ever buy a used 5D (which at the end I didn't).

He said this cannot be done with the 5D II, as the coating on the sensor is different.

Comment

• Thanks for the quick response, N_Architect. I'd try this out after I've uploaded everything and deleted the crap.

I agree I have a 'nice little finger'.

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                    What I write here is for Adobe PS CS3.

Procedure for eliminating spots/sensor dust on one go for multiple images:

1. Open all images that need some spot removal in Camera Raw (i.e. in Bridge select all photos, then press Ctrl-R and all of them will open in Camera Raw). First photo will now appear in preview, all others appear in filmstrip along left side.

2. In Camera Raw toolbar, get Zoom tool (Z), click-and-drag out a selection around the point or spot you intend to remove. Click on the Retouch tool (B) from the Camera Raw toolbar. Small options section pops under the toolbar. Click and at the same time hold the tool's cursor in the center of your dust spot and drag outward to expand the size of your tool's effective area of repair until it becomes slightly larger than the dust or hair spot you intend to repair.

3. By releasing your nice little finger off the mouse button, Camera Raw removes the dust spot by sampling a nearby area. If the performed repair is not to your satisfaction, simply sample from a different area (drag the green circle that appears after you remove your nice little finger from the mouse to a different area). Radius of the circle can be changed (use Radius slider, options section). If your dust spot is near the edge/area of another object you can also try Clone to repair.

4. Now: fixing same sensor dust spot to all other pictures that are open, using batch command. Go to filmstrip on left, click 'Select All'. Your preview photo (the one you were working on so far) now appears as the most selected photo and stands out with dark blue border around it. Under the 'Select All' button, click on button named 'Synchronize'. Then choose only 'Spot Removal' from the pop-up menu that will appear - this will turn off (un-check) automatically all other Camera Raw edits. Click 'OK' in the 'Synchronize' dialogue box.

Change is now applied to all photos - bingo.

Good luck, sorry I cannot post pictures to go along with the description here. Hope it works; if not, PM me, I'll prepare something more detailed for you.

Comment

• He's talking about cleaning liquids which I classify as wet methods, which is the 3rd line of cleaning. I do not think I want to be involved with this stage at all.

I am confident I can handle stages 1(blowing dust off) and 2 (removing dust by dry methods) myself easily. I cleaned the Mark II under the supervision of the SFO technician and passed the test. I'd send the cameras to the shop for stage 3.

Don't think there should be any difference in Stages 1 and 2 for the Mark I and II.

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post

He told me that if I would find a used 5D (first gen.), it is generally easier to clean the sensor thoroughly with a variety of methods. He personally uses materials (i.e. cleaning liquids) that people use in the film industry. Don;t know exactly these are, but he offered to show me if I would ever buy a used 5D (which at the end I didn't).

He said this cannot be done with the 5D II, as the coating on the sensor is different.

Comment

• a soft brush with an inflatable handle that blows air through the bristles. works like a charm. cost me about $5 and have never had any issues with it.
                        blog

Comment

• Conscious that I haven't really contributed to SQT in a while, so I thought I'd post up a few photos from the first month or so with my GF1 - still learning but having a lot of fun...

Early morning snowy walk a few weeks ago - plenty of opportunity to bore mrs nickbot with my constant pauses to take pics!

As above, but she's tired of waiting

Looks like he's conducting an orchestra - snapped this one literally from the hip as I heard his wings. Unfortunately the very tips of his left wing are out of focus due to their speed

Cropped, but happy with the quality - puffed up Robin on a cold day

Ready for GoldMine?

Plumbing in my lab

John Betjeman statue at London St. Pancras

Kiwi Burger - Gourmet Burger Kitchen, London, avec VVIPs

Cobweb on a dewey morning

mrs nickbot's chocolate flapjacks, baked for Haiti cake sale at work

Nibbler, fast asleep and dreaming

I could tell you what this is, but then I'd have to kill you!

I know they aren't particularly travel related, but theres a few foodie ones in there to whet SQTalkers tastebuds! COmments most welcome, as long as they aren't too nasty!!

Comment

• Nice shots. Crispy sharp and with a point to make.

I particularly like the 'early am walk', 'cobweb' and the last one.

It is clear to me now that after the 'SQflyergirl' photo style, the 'haf' style, the 'kyo+' style, we finally have the 'nickbot' style...

(for those of you who read this and think "What is N_Architect talking about here?" wait till I incorporate the aforementioned shooting styles in my upcoming TRs... )

Comment

• Thank you Sir Looking forward to more of your TRs and the homage to our respective shooting styles!

Comment

• My style involves anything food-related.

Comment

Working...
                                X