How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
    Or you can use something like what I use (a SQ J socks cloth bag!). The only other accessories I've bought for my GF1 have been a protective lens filter and a Nintendo Wii wrist strap.
    Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    Hey that's a cool accessory! Looks a bit longer than normal, which is probably what i need for my compact.
    Yep, need a decent wrist strap (although in more conservative black ). The lens filter might have to be today's purchase though.

Comment

• I have a question to the forum:

'Gray' imports: Do you know or believe there is a difference in quality between an officially imported product and an independent import?

I have heard stories in the past but I just wanted to hear if any of you have also had any related info.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
        'Gray' imports: Do you know or believe there is a difference in quality between an officially imported product and an independent import?
        I don't know about quality (since both should be made in the same factory ?) but there are differences:

(i) the warranty of course; and

(ii) features, e.g. the digital under/overexposure meter on the film Canon EOS 5 which isn't present in the equivalent US model named the Canon EOS A2/A2e (with everything else being exactly the same) due to a patent problem in the US. So people in the US back then would prefer to buy an unofficially imported Canon EOS 5 rather than an officially imported Canon A2/A2e.

Comment

• Another obvious one I came across is the 'Ixus' vs the gray import 'Ixy' (Japanese) model is the Language selections are alot less on the Ixy (English and Jap), while the Ixus even had a local Thai language (and cost a bit more also). Features-wise, similar for the most part...

Comment

• That is correct, most models are made in the same factory, or at least in the same country (for example I don't know if the Nikon D700 or the Canon 5D II are made in more than one facility in Japan).

What I've heard is the following:

1. There are batches and batches. They all usually come out of the same production line, but those batches that are destined for the Japanese market, for example, go through much more thorough quality control whereas batches that are destined for independent imports are certainly 'checked' less. This can make a huge difference.

2. The same would apply if more than one production line of a specific product/model exists in a manufacturing facility. While the 'quality' of the product may be of the same specs on all production lines, there may be production variables that can be altered in any single line hence affecting the final output in a minor way of course. Again here, the issue of quality control and monitoring through all stages/steps of production can make a significant difference in the % of 'keepers'.

3. In looking for a new Canon 5D II body here in E.U. expat-land this past week, I found it as low as GBP 1,800 / Eur 2,040 / SGD 4,080 / USD 2,900 (all taxes, etc. inclusive). Warranty for this of course varied, depending where you'd buy it from. In the country where I live and work for example, they offer 2 yrs local manufacturer (Canon) warranty and this includes 1 year pan-European (or at least this is what they say). But the husband of our accountant works for Canon here so what I also discovered is that these 'independent' importers should pay a small premium (per item sold) to the local Canon dealership for honoring the warranty, should the need arises - but they actually never do.

Therefore there's a lot to this and I am sure a lot more info exists on the issue, but the bottom line is that the after-sales risk when not buying through an officially approved dealership is much higher. And certainly the price tag difference reflects that.

Comment

• Nice shot of Nibbler, Nickbot. He has a very nice orangey nose.

Photographing animals/children is hard work. They are constantly on the move. I find it really difficult to get the focus points on the eyes because they move too fast for me. Sometimes my camera is too slow (yes, I know only bad photographers complain about their equipment ).

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                Nice shot of Nibbler, Nickbot. He has a very nice orangey nose.

Photographing animals/children is hard work. They are constantly on the move. I find it really difficult to get the focus points on the eyes because they move too fast for me. Sometimes my camera is too slow (yes, I know only bad photographers complain about their equipment ).
                Thank you I agree re. the difficulties in getting a good shot of an animal - seeing as I've not really taken the GF1 out of the house yet and only seem to get time to play in the evening after work, everything I'm shooting at the moment is in low light conditions, wide open apperture/roughly 1/30th shutter speed, hence the slightest subject movement ruins the shot. That said, I do have some nice ones, but sod's law I think that first photo I posted is perhaps one of the best yet!

Came across the following GF1 review, which I thought was excellent and might twist our friend Kyo+'s arm to make a purchase

Very much enjoying the experience so far, but plans for investing in a zoom lens are curtailed due to other expenses. Made the right choice with the prime though, no immediate need for anything else (I hope!)
                Last edited by nickbot; 29 January 2010, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• Well, I played with the GF1 last Saturday night, but ended up thinking that it was still too bulky. The Olympus PEN EP-2 still appeals more, but neither appeals enough for me to make the switch yet.

And it *IS* very frustrating, because I know I'm gonna miss some fantastic shots of MUC, BCN and ZRH (and even NRT/BKK) as a result...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    Well, I played with the GF1 last Saturday night, but ended up thinking that it was still too bulky. The Olympus PEN EP-2 still appeals more, but neither appeals enough for me to make the switch yet.

And it *IS* very frustrating, because I know I'm gonna miss some fantastic shots of MUC, BCN and ZRH (and even NRT/BKK) as a result...
                    It *is* bulky I admit - yes, it's much much smaller than a DSLR, but a compact camera it aint. Been shopping round today for cases and have been having a hard time of it to be honest, there's little out there in the way of compact cases, so you end up with a superzoom-type case, which is just about as bulky as a DSLR. If you're wearing a big coat, it is pocketable, but it's pretty bulky. I think the output in terms of photos is excellent, but it does take a little lugging around.

Comment

• And boom - not 7 hours ago, we have the new Olympus E-PL1, a 12.3MP m4/3 camera... here's to the prices starting to fall!

And yes, it's still too big...

Comment

neither appeals enough for me to make the switch yet.

Like computers, there's always something cheaper/better on the horizon. If you keep waiting for the next thing, you may end up waiting forever, e.g. with the E-PL1 released, how will Panasonic react ? The GF1 has been out since last September. Olympus themselves have had three models (last July, last November and now). My philosophy is buy now if you have a use for it now.

Comment

• As limited as the 980IS is, it will simply have to do me for now. The E-PL1 is a 'budget' model, if you will, despite it being a 3rd generation product. I'm interested to see if/what the 'pro' version brings to the game.

I say, let Panasonic bring it! My philosophy is good things come to those who wait.

Comment

• GF1 prices have fallen in the three weeks since I purchased one - now offering £50 cashback in the UK, on top of prices circa £50 less than what I paid.

Still happy, but would be happier having paid £100 less, but agree with what jhm said

Comment

And boom - not 7 hours ago, we have the new Olympus E-PL1, a 12.3MP m4/3 camera... here's to the prices starting to fall!

And yes, it's still too big...
                              Just look at that pop-up flash,...the mechanism looks rather familiar!

Comment

Well, I played with the GF1 last Saturday night, but ended up thinking that it was still too bulky.
                                The GF1 is bulky! I do not like it.

I'd stick with the Ixus. It's really convenient for those candid shots. Or when you're on the train with lots of luggage and you can whip the Ixus out of your coat pocket quickly for a few shots. Or when you're taking food pictures in restaurants/plane. KeithMEL has a new dinky Ixus which seems to do fairly well in low light.

Comment

Working...
                                X