Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by haf View Post
    Leica S2 unboxing
    While some unbox their new Leica, others are packing it right for use in the field:

http://overgaard.dk/case-in-point.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      I don't know if you'd consider this a word of wisdom - but if you can afford to, wait. Til something comes along that fits everything on your checklist.

I'm waiting with a P&S in the meantime til m4/3 matures a little more also.
      Thanks Kyo, I'm kind of thinking that's the advice I need to both hear and follow

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
      First of all I have to admit that lately I have kind of hijacked this thread with references to non-DSLR equipment, and apologies for that.
      No apologies necessary N_Architect, and sorry if my post read like I was targetting posts on the thread that are non-DSLR (this was certainly not my intention); I think this is one of the most interesting non-travel threads on SQT, and very much enjoy the variety of photograpic equipment discussions here Thank you for your words of wisdom, especially:

Originally posted by N_Architect
      Fourthly, I agree with kyo+. If you're not that pressed to get something in order to get out and shoot, especially if it is not something that fits you well, you might as well wait. It will be a pity you buy something now and then 6 or 12 months later a more suitable product for you comes up.
      ...I do take a fair few photographs on a daily basis at work (documenting experiments, product trials etc.), and up to now the Nokia Carl-Zeiss 5 Mp offerings from the N95 and now N97 have served me well with their convenience and reasonable macro facility (all of the photographs in my TRs, unfinished or not (), have been taken with these instruments). I am therefore by no means without a camera (if I were, then the credit card would've taken a bashing already!), it's just when one gets a lower light situation, or anything else outside of the bright clear sunshine envelope, that I really start to see the limitations and crave for more. By way of example, haf's food shots from a SIN Do/meet last year (can't remember the link sorry) absolutely blew me away - I'd like to think I can in some way come close to replicating these with the DOF characteristics of the GF1's pancake lens

I could have quite easily purchased a Nikon D3000 or D5000 on holiday recently (my initial shopping list comprised of these models before I "discovered" the GF1 through this thread), and am sure that I would have been pleased with the performance against my current benchmark, but the portability aspect would have got to me pretty quickly - I'm not really a "man-bag man", and so I'd imagine the DSLR would be lounging at home in a cupboard when I really needed its capabilities the most!

Originally posted by sabian View Post
      If you eventually opt for the LX3, it may interest you that the LX3 is nearing the end of its cycle, some are betting that LX4 will out soon.

You might want to wait to see if the LX4 appeals to you or maybe you might be able to get the LX3 at discount.
      Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
      All the photos on my TRs since Venice ( June ) have been with an LX3.

I love it.

Without it's case, it fits into the pocket of my jeans.

I use SQ's pouch for socks as case!
      sabian, 9V-SIA, thank you both for your useful input - I must say, I haven't researched the LX3 to any degree, but from a quick Google search it does look attractive, but perhaps in my heart of hearts I know the GF1 with pancake lens is what I really want. Actually, scratch that, I want the GF1 with a lens exhibiting the same form factor as the pancake, but with moderate zoom capabilities

Thanks once again to all who have offered their opinions, I very much appreciate it!

Comment

• nickbot, there are some comments from stargold on the LX3 earlier in this thread, e.g.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=237

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        I use SQ's pouch for socks as case!
        Bingo! I keep my GF1 in a pouch with the Raffles palm tree logo.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
          While some unbox their new Leica, others are packing it right for use in the field:

http://overgaard.dk/case-in-point.html
          Nice case!
          blog

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
            nickbot, there are some comments from stargold on the LX3 earlier in this thread, e.g.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=237

Bingo! I keep my GF1 in a pouch with the Raffles palm tree logo.
            Thanks jhm, I had neglected to search the thread as I didn't recall the LX3 being discussed (actually, I'm surprised the HUGE AL search police haven't trancek me down and had a quiet word . The link above seems to direct to another post, so in case anyone else is interested in the LX3 here are a few of stargold's posts on the matter:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...161#post105161

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...162#post105162

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...169#post105169

May I ask you, jhm, when out and about travelling with your GF1, do you tend to carry both lenses or just stick to the pancake (or indeed the zoom)? I'm just thinking from the portability angle as I'm not sure I could see myself carrying an extra lens around. Also, (shock horror), is there a digital zoom function on the GF1, so that I could use the pancake but still be able to zoom if absolutely necessary (loss of quality accepted)?

Comment

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post
              May I ask you, jhm, when out and about travelling with your GF1, do you tend to carry both lenses or just stick to the pancake (or indeed the zoom)? I'm just thinking from the portability angle as I'm not sure I could see myself carrying an extra lens around. Also, (shock horror), is there a digital zoom function on the GF1, so that I could use the pancake but still be able to zoom if absolutely necessary (loss of quality accepted)?
              I just have the pancake lens! I think putting a large(r) zoom on it kind of defeats the purpose of having a smallish camera in the first place - given the zoom range of this particular lens, I can just use my feet to zoom as I want.

AFAIK, the digital zoom function is only for video mode but you can of course always crop later on on your PC.

Comment

Thanks jhm, I had neglected to search the thread as I didn't recall the LX3 being discussed (actually, I'm surprised the HUGE AL search police haven't trancek me down and had a quiet word .
                I don't think the HUGE AL search police monitors this thread.

Comment

• Can somebody please recommend a cheap and reliable mail-order retailer in the UK or Germany for buying a new Canon 5D II body?

I already have technildirekt.de in Germany but I'm sure there are others cheaper than them
                  Calumet photo gives a price just under 2k Eur.
                  Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

(paging jhm, nickbot, phaleesy, or anyone else)

Comment

• N_Architect, apologies but I've never bought a Canon body in the UK.

I bought my Canon film body many years ago in HK. phaleesy has bought secondhand in Tokyo (from Lemon (!) in Ginza) and new in NYC (B&H). The new price in NYC (particularly if you ship it out of the state to avoid NY sales tax) seems to be about the same as secondhand in Japan and both are much cheaper than the UK (before duty & VAT which you should pay on entering the UK of course).

Buying abroad may be cheaper but there are warranty issues, e.g. if I bought a Nikon in the US, Nikon UK won't touch it and vice versa (for that reason I've bought all my Nikon kit from Grays in London). I don't know about Canon. I believe phaleesy bought an international warranty from B&H but that may just be a B&H warranty - I'm not sure.

Comment

• Thank you, jhm.

I understand. I knew Lemon as I was looking last week at their (very basic) website for Leica equipment. I have of course checked the prices for 5D II between Europe and (say) B&H, and initially they appeared to be not so far away.

However, and after some phonecalls to mail-order dealers today, I found out that the price difference is roughly Eur 300, which is smt less than the VAT you're theoretically supposed to pay upon entering the E.U.

And on the other hand there is the issue of the warranty. I understand why you get your gear from Grays, they are reportedly excellent but of course anything you may want to buy off them won't be dead cheap as in other dealers or mail-order shops.

The cheapest way to go is known, buy in the U.S. or HKG and make sure you get a good copy, then you're set.

For 100-200 Euros difference I could possibly justify the purchase now here in the E.U. as it would save me all the wait till November when I go to B&H. But now I need to think (or better to say wait) a bit more.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                        I knew Lemon as I was looking last week at their (very basic) website for Leica equipment.
                        I've never been to London's Leica dealers so I don't know how they compare but I remember Lemon as being a large Aladdin's Cave of secondhand Leica and other camera gear, all in what appeared to be excellent condition! It was definitely an interesting place to spend a few hours.

Comment

• Thanks for bringing this subject up, N_Architect. I was toying with the idea of buying a 5D II from B&H and collecting it in SFO at the end of this month.

BUT after doing a price comparison, I have concluded that it costs about the same or cheaper to buy in the UK.

B&H US$2699 £1683.71
                          SImply Electronics £1599.95 (including shipping)
                          DIgital REV £1649.75 €1989.03 to ship to Finland

I have not used Simply Electronics or Digital REV before. I just goggled for Canon 5DII in response to your question. ONe of the reputed mail order companies I use - Warehouse Express - is selling it for £1802.99.

However, the 1D mk4 is still a lot cheaper in the States. It is still on back-order with Adorama and I have cancelled it. We're starting our travels soon and I would not need it for animal shoots until late March. Would try to place an order again next month.

Comment

• Thanks phaleesy.

Yes, cheapest prices (5D II) from UK dealers I got y'day were around GBP1,800 - though some of them ask for GBP200 more to ship to this side of Europe, as per price you gave for Finland for example.

True, in the case of 5D II it's not a very big difference with the U.S. Warranty can make a big difference in 6 or 12 months time, so same price or hundred quid to pay more or so in Europe is not that bad at all.

I am also looking at getting a 5D 1st generation, great workhorse and heard from a semi-pro friend here much simpler to the 5D II (e.g. if the shutter breaks/cracks it can be replaced easily at small cost, and also sensor cleaning is so much easier with a greater variety of methods as it doesn't have this super duper extra coating...)

I think I should have a 5D / 5D II much earlier on. I got the 40D w/ grip (which I'm selling now) and the 1D Mk II N for action but none are convenient to carry around and without having to convert lenses' focal lengths all the time.

Moving on to another subject now, that semi-pro friend I was talking about earlier got his gf a GF-1 and says he's impressed. More after some time when he will have used it more.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              I just have the pancake lens! I think putting a large(r) zoom on it kind of defeats the purpose of having a smallish camera in the first place - given the zoom range of this particular lens, I can just use my feet to zoom as I want.

AFAIK, the digital zoom function is only for video mode but you can of course always crop later on on your PC.
                              Thanks jhm Trying desperately hard not to just go out and buy the camera, but January unfortunately brings somewhat painful bills to my door in the form of car tax and an expensive service

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                              I don't think the HUGE AL search police monitors this thread.
                              Phew, an enclave of safety from the HUGE one May I take this opportunity to ask (without searching) what seat is best in SQ 744 Y?

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                              Moving on to another subject now, that semi-pro friend I was talking about earlier got his gf a GF-1 and says he's impressed. More after some time when he will have used it more.
                              Sounds good, thank you N_Artchitect - would love to see some of his/her shots if possible at some point.

Comment

Trying desperately hard not to just go out and buy the camera, but January unfortunately brings somewhat painful bills to my door in the form of car tax and an expensive service
                                Same here! OT question... is it still necessary to bring the VW to the dealer for the annual service once the warranty period is over? What are the advantages of doing that? I don't know what to do this year...

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                                , an enclave of safety from the HUGE one May I take this opportunity to ask (without searching) what seat is best in SQ 744 Y?
                                SQfg is the lady who has all the answers to plane related stuff! I think she monitors this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X