How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    People would just think you have a larger chest on one side.
    Just balance it off with another SLR on the other side... (with roughly the same barrel length, otherwise you're just going back to square one)

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Just balance it off with another SLR on the other side... (with roughly the same barrel length, otherwise you're just going back to square one)
      If the chest gets too bulky and heavy, one might topple over and land on her face. Not glam at all!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        i take it you've had the experience of being asked that?
        Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        I think Stargold has an interesting story to share with us!
        Hahaha, if only my life were so exciting!

Besides, I have a feeling that hiding a package of that size in the pocket will most certainly attract the wrong type of attention
        I would find it impossible to squeeze a SLR or any compact into a trouser pocket. However, it is possible to carry a Canon D400 with a EFS18-55 in a coat or ski jacket. People would just think you have a larger chest on one side.
        Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        If the chest gets too bulky and heavy, one might topple over and land on her face. Not glam at all!
        All this talk about lopsidedness and falling flat on one's face, when it's quite clear what the best solution is!

Learn a lesson from those golfers and find a caddy to carry around the bag at all times, and hand you the camera as and when required. If the caddy happens to be easy on the eye, all the better - just make sure you invite me along

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
          The only flaw so far - as pointed out here - seems to be the lack of a viewfinder. You have to add an attachment (an electronic viewfinder) to the flash hotshoe but that destroys the camera's compact dimensions. It's okay if you like using a LCD screen but I don't.
          I did have this debate in my head as well. Nothing better than a nice, huge, clear viewfinder to frame the shot with!

However, sadly the name of the game is compromise in this market segment. If they went greedy and attached the EVF then they might lose the size advantage compared to the existing G1/GH1 which would make the GF1 too similar to the previous models. Think of it as a ruthless diet - something which I am simply incapable of doing myself

Comment

• I'd trade the built-in flash (probably useless and which I doubt I'll use) for a viewfinder (as pointed out in the link above).

Hmmm, if not for a silly X-ray last week, there'd probably be something large bulging in my pocket right now...

Comment

• Yes - something much larger indeed! You were going to show it off to me over lunch on Sunday as well, until the unfortunate X-ray

Comment

Last edited by phaleesy; 9 October 2009, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Just to mention that I jumped over to the dark side and bought:

D700
                  17-35 f/2.8
                  50 f/1.4
                  105 f/2.8 macro

It wasn't difficult given that my Canon gear only consists of a film 5QD and two lenses from about 20 years ago. I'm really pleased with the D700's handling (compared to my friend's 5 mk I) and low light performance (wow!).

The GF1 is also in stock in the UK now! I got a phone call today from a dealer who have it but not in the colour I want.
                  Last edited by jhm; 9 October 2009, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Wow, congrats on the new baby and accoutrements, jhm. Wanna schedule a London Do to show off the new member of the household?
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Congrats Let's see some pics from it

Comment

• Congratulations. Hope you enjoy using such a good piece of gear (great choice of lens as well!).

You know what's the next step now in this process, don't you?

KEEP SHOOTING
                        KEEP SHOOTING
                        KEEP SHOOTING
                        KEEP SHOOTING
                        KEEP SHOOTING
                        KEEP SHOOTING
                        KEEP SHOOTING
                        KEEP SHOOTING
                        KEEP SHOOTING

Comment

• Congrats is definitely in order! Enjoy it!
                          blog

Comment

• I just bought a Think Tank Photo Airport Ultralight backpack (as recommended by Thom Hogan). First impressions are good - it seems to be very well built; weighs about 1-1.5kg; carries up to two SLR bodies, some lenses and a 15" laptop; fits into the luggage compartment of a CRJ etc; and comes with a rain cover. However, I just tried to put the Airport Ultralight in my Rimowa roller but it's slightly too deep.

It's the lightest Think Tank Photo backpack which also holds a laptop. The StreetWalker is marginally lighter (0.9-1.3kg) but holds only 1 SLR body and some lenses.

I'll take it on my next suitable trip and see what I think.

Comment

• Just a warning to watch out for fakes!

I bought a "Nikon EN-EL3e Genuine Battery for D300 D200 D80 D100 D70s D70 D50" from an Amazon UK seller (with a mostly positive reputation) but discovered the battery to be a fake (even though it come in what looks like a Nikon box with instruction leaflet etc)! Nikon give some pointers on identifying fakes here, e.g. a genuine battery hologram sticker has 4 notches cut into it (the hologram sticker on my fake did not); the typeface is slightly different; etc.

Of course I've contacted the seller (who claims to be innocent) and am returning the fake after he first refunds me fully plus pays the return postage.

Comment

• I had a wonderful dream!

While kooning last night, I dreamt ...

The Canon 1Ds Mark IV and 1D Mark IV would be released in March 2010!!!

More autofocus points. There would be more points just outside the current 'smallish' (compared to Nikon ) diamond, i.e. the area of autofocus points would increase.

Don't know if the ISO would be better than Nikon's. I woke up before I got to the low-light and exciting bit.

But I am pretty sure Canon would not let me down. I am very very patient, so long as everything is picture perfect for Montana in Jan 2011.

Comment

Working...
                                X