No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might be smaller but with a sensor which - as far as I can see - is only 25% the size of a full frame 35mm sensor, you're going to sacrifice image quality and/or increase the amount of noise in the photo ?

Comment

• Nikon D90 with 18-200mm VR and 35mm f1.8 dx

on my last trip i probably used the 18-200mm 99.9% of the time...

its my first dslr...and no complains...like someone here said...just get out and shoot...tried to read too many guides and magic lantern guides...never really know what they are talking about till you do it yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
        It might be smaller but with a sensor which - as far as I can see - is only 25% the size of a full frame 35mm sensor, you're going to sacrifice image quality and/or increase the amount of noise in the photo ?
        Well, I guess it's all about the compromise -

It's essentially a large-ish compact camera form factor. If it can do a half decent ISO1600, and a "usable in emergencies" quality in ISO6400, then I think it will definitely have its own niche. The image samples look pretty encouraging so far...

Of course, I would love to be able to carry something like the D700 around with me everywhere - but it's the difference between slipping something like the EP-1 in my normal bag or carrying a bigger camera bag. Looks like it could be a great camera for travellers who don't need the absolute best in image quality but want something a lot better than P&S, especially for low-light.

Comment

• Thanks so much for that - definitely would've missed it otherwise!

And that's real innovation hard at work, hopefully with a revision or two, fingers crossed this is where the camera world is heading. All the quality, with a fraction of the bulk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Thanks so much for that - definitely would've missed it otherwise!

And that's real innovation hard at work, hopefully with a revision or two, fingers crossed this is where the camera world is heading. All the quality, with a fraction of the bulk.
            There will always be a market for "proper" SLR-sized systems - all other things being equal, I don't think you can overcome the simple physics of size of photosites on a full frame sensor vs. something like m4/3.

However, the smaller and more convenient systems will no doubt begin to lure the more casual shooters away from the bulkier systems. For example, the new m4/3 system seem much more female-friendly (though phaleesy will never give up her L lenses, I suspect ) - I'm actually going to suggest the EP-1 to my mum, who has been looking for something just like this.

One of the quite important potential benefits to m4/3 is also the lack of a moving mirror - might make it viable to use in quiet venues where a traditional SLR would be inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by stargold View Post
              though phaleesy will never give up her L lenses, I suspect )
              L lenses are good for butterfingers like me.

Comment

• Originally posted by stargold View Post
                One of the quite important potential benefits to m4/3 is also the lack of a moving mirror - might make it viable to use in quiet venues where a traditional SLR would be inappropriate.
                DSLR's are fighting back in this regard. Some of the newer ones I've seen have some seriously silent shutter action.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  DSLR's are fighting back in this regard. Some of the newer ones I've seen have some seriously silent shutter action.
                  Plus some have features like the silent mode found on the EOS 1D (but not AFAIK other EOS cameras).

Comment

• The EOS 1 might be silent but its size doesn't exactly make it inconspicuous.

Comment

• Hi guys,

Relatively new here...DSLR user... Canon 5D and several Canon lenses (24-70 f2.8L, 50 1.0L (the discontinued one), 85 f1.8, 17-40 f4L, 200 f4L, 24 f1.4L, 15 f2.8 fisheye).

Just did a shoot 2 nights ago... thought I would post the shots. A scenic tour of Singapore if you will! This is my friend's car:

blog

Comment

• Originally posted by haf View Post
                        50 1.0L (the discontinued one),
                        respect! I am in awe

Comment

respect! I am in awe
                          Let me just say that when you have camera, the body grip, a 580 EX II flash, and that lens, you certainly don't need a gym!
                          blog

Comment

Hi guys,

Relatively new here...DSLR user... 50 1.0L (the discontinued one),...
                            Impressive! amazing bokeh and low light capable lens!

Comment

Let me just say that when you have camera, the body grip, a 580 EX II flash, and that lens, you certainly don't need a gym!
                              yeah, but that means one arm's bigger than the other!

Originally posted by khellek View Post
                              Impressive! amazing bokeh and low light capable lens!
                              I was impressed too. If i'm not mistaken, that's Canon's fastest ever lens, and one of the fastest period, only surpassed by a few NASA special F0.7/0.8's around somewhere.

Comment

I was impressed too. If i'm not mistaken, that's Canon's fastest ever lens, and one of the fastest period, only surpassed by a few NASA special F0.7/0.8's around somewhere.
                                Aye, in fact there's a Canon LTM 50mm f0.95 too, but its not AF. There's also a Schneider 50mm f0.75.

So this is the fastest Canon EOS AF lens. It's a EOS user dream lens, but the price (around ~5k in the market) is pretty out of reach for most people.

An alternative is the 85 1.2L , and you will also get lots of stares when shooting with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X